Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Historics at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham Alabama
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
My son and I went down to the Historic Sportscar races at Barber racepark in Birmingham. There were more 914s than any other model except 911s. Here is a quick selection of pics -
(in the background are a buncha 911s for the Porsche dirving experience school they hold there- large $$)
SGB
Mine was the only street 914 I saw there... smile.gif
SGB
what happens to taildraggers...
Martin Baker
GREAT! I love vintage race cars!
Eric_Shea
Bill Lewis Jr. in the 14 car is smokin fast...
JPB
smilie_pokal.gif
sixnotfour
smokin fast...

There you go with the smoke.gif reference again,

Great photo's thumb3d.gif
SGB
oops -meant to add this above... gratuitous pic of MY car and the only other 914 /4 at the event.
drewvw

love them vintage racing pics...thanks
Gustl
lots of cool photos thumb3d.gif

thanks for sharing pray.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
JPB
Sweet four segnor! smilie_pokal.gif
Al Meredith
Hey Scott, An outing to Barbour Park would be a great sequel to the Southeast Classic. If an HSR is held in the Spring . How About it Guys. Al
Brett W
It was not a good weekend for all. OUr RX7 was hit by some sorry ass taildragger. He destroyed the rear suspension and custom driveshaft. We were faster and he had plenty of room.

Anyway Barber is a small event mostly because of the politics of the management. In the past the track managers would send bills to racers who went off track or messed up the grid, etc. So after a few racers got bills for sod and tire wall repair many people are not interested in coming back. Barber is a nice track but the hassles of the sorry track management makes it a bad place for the amateur racer to spend time.
Brett W
I forgot to mention Wayne Baker was there with the yellow 914 that was for sale on his website. I was going to try and talk with him at the social saturday night but since our weekend was ended early, I didn't get the chance.
914werke
QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 15 2006, 06:58 PM) *

Anyway Barber is a small event mostly because of the politics of the management. In the past the track managers would send bills to racers who went off track or messed up the grid, etc. So after a few racers got bills for sod and tire wall repair many people are not interested in coming back. Barber is a nice track but the hassles of the sorry track management makes it a bad place for the amateur racer to spend time.

Brett I dont understand that mentaility. I havent been to Barber but hope to someday soon with either the Bike or the Teener. From what I have seen in video and Pics Its an UNBELIVABLY nice facility. Since it was primaily designed as a Bike coarse I can sort of understand a lack of tolerance for overdriving the coarse and
roto-tilling the runoff and or blowing motors that Oil significant parts of the Grid/track. I understand racing happens but when its preventable..I dont see why the responible party shouldnt pay.
brant
I can understand having to pay for armco

but I find it unreasonable to pay for sod or even tire walls.
thats what the entry fee is for... for the track to use the money to upkeep the facility.

The tracks charge 10G per a weekend, and this should cover a tiny bit of tire tracks in the grass.

I don't see golfers, going home to check their mail boxes and receiving a bill for the dibit they hit on tee #4...

thats what they pay the grounds fee for!

brant
Brett W
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 15 2006, 06:39 PM) *

Brett I dont understand that mentaility. I havent been to Barber but hope to someday soon with either the Bike or the Teener. From what I have seen in video and Pics Its an UNBELIVABLY nice facility. Since it was primaily designed as a Bike coarse I can sort of understand a lack of tolerance for overdriving the coarse and
roto-tilling the runoff and or blowing motors that Oil significant parts of the Grid/track. I understand racing happens but when its preventable..I dont see why the responible party shouldnt pay.

The track management has'nt run any motorsports facility. Their big claim to fame is the Bruno's Golf Classic. They have no clue how to run a race track. They want to keep it like a museum instead of a racetrack. Road Atlanta, Sebring, Nashville, VIR, TGPR, Memphis motosport park, etc don't have these issuse. Yes it is an extremely nice facility, but why do I pay a track entry fee if they are going to charge on top of that to maintain that facility.

Last weekend they charged 150 camping fee for motor homes and 25 dollars a day for 110 electrical service. What a load of BS.

Last year Barber Management sent a bill to Alabama SCCA for 40K$. They said they had to replace a whole bunch of armco barrier and tire wall, yet they could only produce reciepts for about 15K worth of work. What a load of Shit. Never seen such a thing from the more well established tracks.

Barber will not become the track they want to if they keep doing this kinda of stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.