Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late style steelies: center caps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
type4org
In a few days I'll get a beautiful refinished set of late-style steelies for my '76. I'm about to put a for sale ad in for the current Rivieras if anyone is interested, by the way. My question is about center caps: Would anyone have a nice close-up of the center caps and wheel bolt caps these wheels got at the factory?

This is the wheel I mean:

Click to view attachment
Porsche Rescue
I am also in the process of swapping late steel wheels for aftermarket alloys on my '76. I have no lug covers to show. I am waiting on some from an online VW parts source. Supposedly on back order, I hope.
Here are some shots of a center cap, plain black, smooth surface. These are also used on VW's with "styled steel sport wheels".
type4org
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Oct 15 2006, 06:11 PM) *

I am also in the process of swapping late steel wheels for aftermarket alloys on my '76. I have no lug covers to show. I am waiting on some from an online VW parts source. Supposedly on back order, I hope.
Here are some shots of a center cap, plain black, smooth surface. These are also used on VW's with "styled steel sport wheels".

Thanks a lot for the pictures. It looks like those are the same as the seller I bought my steelies from is sending along. thumb3d.gif

Those wheels were used by VW on many occasions, I see them a lot on Beetle Cabrios, and there were quite a few special edition bugs that had them, the last one (at least for the German market) being the 2400-strong "50 year" edition, which also represented the very last batch of bugs to be imported to Germany by Volkswagen. This was in October 1985 if I remember correctly. Those (and many of the other bugs with those wheels) used special center caps that stuck out further and carried the Wolfsburg crest. A good friend of mine has one of these "50 years" bugs, never driven, in his climate-controlled garage.

I don't have them here right now, but in my 914s glove compartment I found a VW parts baggie with a bunch of brand new lug bolt covers, probably ordered by the first owner in the seventies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.