Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: "Resurrecting" NiCad batteries
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I have a Ryobi battery-powered drill whose two batteries are -- for all intents and purposes -- dead. While poking around for replacements I came across this site:

http://resurrection.uniquedynamics.com/

Is that bogus or for real?

I also came across this:

http://www.hackaday.com/2005/08/26/how-to-...on-and-upgrade/

I suppose it can't hurt to try this one out (it's free and the batteries are essentially dead).

In short, can you "resurrect" a NiCad battery?

Thx,

Skip
dwillouby
Yes, We used to do it all the time at work. We used 7.2 vdc ni-cads. Apply about 14 volts. It would work 90% of the time. Put a amp meter in
series with the charger. At first it wont draw any current. As the thershold resistance of the battery is overcome it will start drawing current. Reduce the voltage as to not overheat the battery.

David
porschecb
No! No! & No. I am in the battery Biz. Unless you have an anlalizer to measure voltage & Mah you can never know what shape your battery is in. there is no magic! (by the way it takes 3 hours to analize a battery and give you the results) If it does not hold at least 80% of it's mfg. capicity it's not going to last long. Voltage is just 1 part Mah is the capicity of charge left in the battery.

Michael tei4batteries.com
davep
So is what this guy is selling 'snake oil'? I did read many years ago that shocking a battery with a very high voltage tends to burn out the internal shorts that are causing the battery to fail.
porschecb
Yes!!!!!!!!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(porschecb @ Oct 15 2006, 05:36 PM) *

No! No! & No. I am in the battery Biz. Unless you have an anlalizer to measure voltage & Mah you can never know what shape your battery is in. there is no magic! (by the way it takes 3 hours to analize a battery and give you the results) If it does not hold at least 80% of it's mfg. capicity it's not going to last long. Voltage is just 1 part Mah is the capicity of charge left in the battery.

Michael tei4batteries.com

So can ya give the club rates on De Walts and Optimas?
porschecb
I will offer to check any nicad battery. You pay in I pay out. This includes a condition & analize. Tells us both the status of the battery. I deal with two way radio batteries for the most part. But can do any Nicad battery if the voltage & mha are stamped on the battery. That way I know what I am dealing with.

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.