Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any of our brothers at the RunOffs this year?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
So whats up at the Runoffs with 914's this year?
groot
Not much.....

I only know of one (Les Handley in FP), there was rumor of another, but no confirmation.
URY914
WUWT? (What's up wit da?)

Last year the 914's group look they had factory support (tents, crews members, sponsers etc) and this year.. confused24.gif Rule change?
groot
Location change mostly..... and for a good % the timing wasn't right enough to justify the long tow to a crappy track.

I'm planning on running next year. This year I would have had trouble breaking the top 30, so it wasn't worth it for me.
Joe Ricard
According to 4th dimension radio (few weeks ago) Jake and Len are going racing next year?

I guess there is no point in watching the run-offs without 914's present.
maf914
I posted the following over in the Garage but it got passed over. sad.gif I copied and pasted here just in case anyone wants a location for the race results. Looks like only one 914 was there. sad.gif

"The SCCA Runoffs were held last weekend at Topeka, Kansas. I visited the SCCA website and found the race results. I could find only one 914 on the lists. It was in F-Production entered by Walter Les Handly, Philadelphia. What happened to our guys? The long haul to Kansas (probably made it tough for the east coast guys)? Rules and class changes? After last years excitement i was hoping for more of the same.

If you want to check out the results go to

http://www.scca.com/Event/Event.asp

Select Runoffs, then Daily Results, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday."

Thorshammer

I attended the Runoffs this year, but only as a spectator. It was very hard to be on pre grid when the EP guys were ready to go out. Very Hard!

Here's the low down on all the guys I know.

Erik Madsen (me) My main sponsor sold his business and retired (at age 32) so I was without funding this year. Still looking for some, step right up and get your name on my car. Got a business, need some brand recognition, in New England. I am going to ask for Baby (Canadian Ballet) Dolls in Topeka to sponsor me next year. I spent more dough in there last week than my race gas bill for the 2005 Runoffs. clap56.gif

Chris Foley: Working hard to turn out the work he has in his shop. Also trying to build a new car. No roof, better aero, National car.

Ed Givler: Ed is doing well and may drive again next year, the car is coming along well, and set soem really fast laps at NHIS over the summer

David Podolsky: has his new FP car, but has decided to sell it. See the Classifieds, good bargain, I should know, I built it.

Others that are active on this site have voiced their situation. But I will tell you that a couple more cars are being built. If we all were to qualify, it would be a ton of fun.

Erik Madsen
URY914
Thanks Erik, maybe we need a news flash every once and awhile giving us an update on everyone's progress.

I'd like to see how trick Chris' car is going to be.
jd74914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 20 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Thanks Erik, maybe we need a news flash every once and awhile giving us an update on everyone's progress.

I'd like to see how trick Chris' car is going to be.

Very laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
We can nail an EP/FP car thread if need be??

B
maf914
The one class with a 914, F-Production, was broadcast today on Speed at 1200 PM. It will be repeated at 0300 AM Wednesday. I hope my VCR ran true and that my programming was correct (not always the case...).

I've been taping and watching the Runoffs and I have to say that they have been dull overall. The filming and production is poor and the track is just so bland. It has no character or physical features. Maybe it's better in person, but featureless on TV. And spectators appear to be nonexistant. sad.gif

Take the Runoffs back to Mid-Ohio. Or better yet, Road Atlanta! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I agree..

BORING

No trees.. no elevation change (that is visible) NO color.. NO history (besides drag racing)

The only benefit: it is closer than Mid Ohio.

Several Cal people would rather see it at Road Atlanta..

B
jhadler
agree.gif

The races I have watched had very poor production quality. The track is very bland in appearance, and it doesn't seem to be a good track for spectating (especially from the couch).

I can fogive them _some_ of the bland appearance, they just completed a MAJOR renovation of the track and surrounding area. So, that can explain the lack of trees and/or grass. But the track just doesn't seem to have the world-class feel that Mid-Ohio or Road Atalnta had.

But the production quality of the coverage is kinda weak. Poor camera angles, bad sight lines. Don't get a feel for the flow of the track. Not that I've driven HPT, but even with tracks I haven't had the pleasure of driving, good production of the coverage can give the viewer a pretty good feel for the track. Didn't get it with the Speed covereage of runoffs this year.

<sigh> 'guess I'll have to watch the NASA championships from Mid-Ohio...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.