Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best vinyl cleaner?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
r_towle
I have acquired a beetle with light blue vinyl seats.

Overall, it appears that they have never ever been cleaned.
there are no tears, and I restiched the loose parts.

Now,
I have tried what I call orangina, its a citrus based commercial concentrate that I used straight, I used a toothbrush to get into the "grain" of the vinyl, and I have had some luck, but its still not clean.

I would say that its alot of grease, and or just ground in dirt...

What is the reccomended stuff to use???

Rich
bob
Rich-
Lexol Vinylex.... best vinyl cleaner/conditioner there is! I put a bit of 'something else' on after I clean....

If the dirt is real heavy, I use a rag soaked in laquer thinner, then follow up with the vinylex....

-bob

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 15 2006, 10:01 PM) *

I have acquired a beetle with light blue vinyl seats.

Overall, it appears that they have never ever been cleaned.
there are no tears, and I restiched the loose parts.

Now,
I have tried what I call orangina, its a citrus based commercial concentrate that I used straight, I used a toothbrush to get into the "grain" of the vinyl, and I have had some luck, but its still not clean.

I would say that its alot of grease, and or just ground in dirt...

What is the reccomended stuff to use???

Rich

Pat Garvey
Rich,

I don't know if you'll ever be able to bring it back to original condition, but there are a couple of things I'd try.

Sorry Bob, but cannot agree with you on the laquer thinner. It's going to seep (vapors) through the vinyl, after it softens it & screw up the foam underneath. BTW, Vinylex is a decent product.

Problem with vinyl is it's soft. Dirt particles can easily be imbedded in the pores, making them tough to get out. Scruubing isn't the answer, no matter the product. The dirt has to be lifted out, just like a dirty carpet.

I have a home steamer that I bought from Sears 25 years ago that injects cleaner & hot water & sucks it back under pretty decent pressure at the same time. You should be able to find on on the cheap at a flea market/yard sale. My seats are black vinyl, but it really pulls out some ugly fluid - I use it every couple of years. Works like a charm. Need to operate it quickly though, so as to not soak the foam underneath too badly. Open the windows & let it dry out for a few days. With your light color, I doubt that it'll be perfect but will sure help.

Laquer thinner will melt the vinyl & especially the foam underneath. Do NOT recommend that. Sorry
Pat

bob
Pat-
From my experience, the laquer thinner won't 'melt' the vinyl. Obviously if you leave it on there or leave a piece of vinyl in it it'll wreck it, but I've used it to clean heavily soiled vinyl for 25 years! I do agree, however the foam underneath is subject to potential damage, but using thinner, on a rag and wiping dirt off won't be there long enough to cause any damage. ( if you use it on visors for instance, the foam in visors is so thin and feeble by now that if you let the thinner penetrate... like dunking the piece in it...it would turn it to powder)

I've never tried a steam cleaner, but I suppose as long you you can dry the seats completely, that should work too...

-bob
914runnow
Ding Ding Ding..
Imgonnahring the Griot's Bell again..
For their interior cleaner..
Goo Gone...
Lava Soap..
Mineral Spirits..
Simple Green...
Yep even acetone..
and 30 more I could name..
This stuff is the bomb..
And It WON'T dry out the vinyl......
And the Lexol is good stuff when all said n done..
Just wipe off the excess...within a few hours..
jk76.914
I use Westley's Blech White. Was recommended in a car mag about 30 years ago, a Nash Metropolitan fixup I think. Use it 50/50 with water, let it sit a few minutes, scrub with a damp sponge, and then rinse with sopping wet sponge thoroughly. Dry with a towel.

I used it regularly on my boat upholstery for years- white vinyl- and it cleaned it up to like new every time.

I also used it on my '76 914 bumpers, followed by a preservative. Worked great with not a ton of effort.

Keep it off paint. I never had an issue, but others have.

Wonder if KEP makes a kit to put a Metropolitan engine in a 914?

Jim
Jasfsmith
Give "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" a try. Amazing what dirt and ground in grime it will remove, even after all the other cleaning agents have been tried.

I was turned on to it my John Paternak at a 2005 Parade Concour prep tech session. The results have been remarkable for me.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Oct 24 2006, 09:50 PM) *

Ding Ding Ding..
Imgonnahring the Griot's Bell again..
For their interior cleaner..
Goo Gone...
Lava Soap..
Mineral Spirits..
Simple Green...
Yep even acetone..
and 30 more I could name..
This stuff is the bomb..
And It WON'T dry out the vinyl......
And the Lexol is good stuff when all said n done..
Just wipe off the excess...within a few hours..

Agree with all, though I haven't tried Griot's magic potion. Everything else on your list is going to degrade what you have left of 30+ year old vinyl & stitching (for the earlier 914's). I can't even imagine using acetone on vinyl - not only will it MELT it, but it's a major explosion waiting to happen in an enclosed space - WOW! Not to mention the high you get from it as it destroys brain cells!

Lexol does make good products for vinyl, but I prefer not to have any chemicals involved (plus my seats are rarely submitted to dirt). A quick pass over with my Sears steam cleaner every couple of years works for me......but

The original post was made for a VERY dirty, light colored vinyl interior.

IMO, avoid abrasive cleaners at all costs. Even if it comes clean, new dirt will have new places to hide. I guess I'd say to try the Griot's stuff - anything of thier's I've had has been great, though pricey.

As for the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser......has it's place, but it IS abrasive. I use them periodically when my wife's leather purses scrape a painted wall. Works great for removing the dye, but it does leave a shiney spot.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 25 2006, 03:13 PM) *

As for the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser......has it's place, but it IS abrasive. I use them periodically when my wife's leather purses scrape a painted wall. Works great for removing the dye, but it does leave a shiney spot.

Plenty of water should be at hand when using. I've yet to see a "shiney" surface. But then again, I tend not to grind the pad into the surface. <grin>
Matt Romanowski
I second the white wall cleaner.

Also, it's excellent for removing heavy oxidation from paint. It's amazing what you learn from detailing cars for 6 years....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.