KT
Aaron Cox
you didnt see him at home depot or lowes? chairfall.gif
So.Cal.914
Yah OpaAndy where have you been? Seeing your Daughter and Grand Daughter

I hope.
SirAndy
i'm here ...

i wish i was in germany right now, but no, just plain old AT&T customer service dry.gif

some "highly trained professional technician" cut my DSL line 12(!) days ago and it took them until today to figure out where ...
headbang.gif Andy
Lou W
No WIFI? I figured you had it all smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 17 2006, 07:24 PM) *

i *HATE* wireless ... barf.gif

Case in point: after it was clear that AT&T wasn't going to fix this quick, i went and bought a laptop (which i was going to do anyways) and for the last several days hijacked someone elses wireless connection to go online ...

about 50% of the signals i found around the house (twelve total) were WIDE OPEN and not protected at all ...

it's fun surfing on someone elses dime ...
blink.gif Andy
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2006, 08:43 PM) *

Case in point: after it was clear that AT&T wasn't going to fix this quick, i went and bought a laptop (which i was going to do anyways) and for the last several days hijacked someone elses wireless connection to go online ...

about 50% of the signals i found around the house (twelve total) were WIDE OPEN and not protected at all ...

blink.gif Andy

So... what's to hate? Free WiFi?!?!?! Live it up.

beerchug.gif

When I first set up my wireless a few months back I found the same thing. 6 available networks from my deck. Roughly half were somewhat secure. The rest... well... I have my own provider anyway, so I set mine up and locked it down.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 17 2006, 07:45 PM) *

i meant, i would never use it for myself, but i love it when others leave theirs open for me ...
biggrin.gif Andy
bd1308
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2006, 08:16 PM) *

i'm here ...

i wish i was in germany right now, but no, just plain old AT&T customer service dry.gif

some "highly trained professional technician" cut my DSL line 12(!) days ago and it took them until today to figure out where ...
headbang.gif Andy

Hmm, when I worked for a college, it used to take me about ten minutes to find out where a break was. Hook the $7k Fluke linetester, do a tone test down the line and use a inductive pickup speaker to find out where the tone stops.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 07:50 PM) *

Hmm, when I worked for a college, it used to take me about ten minutes to find out where a break was. Hook the $7k Fluke linetester, do a tone test down the line and use a inductive pickup speaker to find out where the tone stops.

think *HUGE* old 3-story warehouse with 52 live & work units and decades of code-violations in regards to electrical wiring etc.
this place makes a pot of sphagetti look organized ...

but ...
one of their guys cut it in the first place while "upgrading" some of the lines. you'd *think* he'd remember the next day where he had been cutting ...
confused24.gif Andy
bd1308
sounds like fun to me wacko.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 17 2006, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2006, 08:43 PM) *

blink.gif Andy

beerchug.gif

When I first set up my wireless a few months back I found the same thing. 6 available networks from my deck. Roughly half were somewhat secure. The rest... well... I have my own provider anyway, so I set mine up and locked it down.

hijacked.gif I use my laptop for work and sometimes at home, when some else is using my pc... now the laptop looks for the strongest signal and goes to it, which was my neighbors router until I bought my own, I leave my pc on 24-7-365 so obviously the router is on too what real risk am I exposing my pc to? How can somebody get into my computer? What limitations would "securing" my router do to my laptop when I'm at home?

Secondly, when I'm out and need to access the Internet, I hope I can get onto someones router, it is so much fast than the WIFI dial up.
bd1308
I can, with my linux box, hack your WEP encrypted connection in a matter of hours.

I dont care though and am too lazy to do that. I suggest using WPA if you can, as for my home network (20 ports all used) I just used 64-bit WEP b/c thats all I can use on my older mac hardware
Lou W
So where does this WPA go? in between the computer and the router?
bd1308
its IN the router...

most new cards support WPA. Windows XP does support WPA.

Wireless Protected something I think it stands for.

I think you'd be safe if you used 64-bit WEP tho.

to config your router:

open up a browser, go to:

http://192.168.1.1 for LINKSYS routers
http://192.168.0.1 for D-LINK routers
http://192.168.0.254 for DSL modem/routers

there are many more, i have worked with these though.
kconway
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:12 PM) *

its IN the router...

most new cards support WPA. Windows XP does support WPA.

Wireless Protected something I think it stands for.

I think you'd be safe if you used 64-bit WEP tho.

to config your router:

open up a browser, go to:

http://192.168.1.1 for LINKSYS routers
http://192.168.0.1 for D-LINK routers
http://192.168.0.254 for DSL modem/routers

there are many more, i have worked with these though.

Sorry for the hijack...Britt, is the default user name and password "admin" for the D-Link routers? I don't think I changed anything but can't get in any longer.

Kevin
bd1308
i dont think there is a pass, just admin as the user
kconway
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 10:14 PM) *

Just hangs without a password

Chris Pincetich
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
C'mon Andy, show us some new pictures of your car. Any progress?
beerchug.gif
bd1308
QUOTE(kconway @ Oct 17 2006, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 10:14 PM) *

Just hangs without a password

Intresting....

try unplugging the router for a minute and plugging it back in. I've bought three D=Link routers and hated them, they overheated (small chip got REALLY hot) had to buy a 80486 cooling fan to pull the heat off of the chip, but then it just started dying.

Good luck with yours, i'll help you if I can. pm me if you need more help.

Hijack over
jsteele22
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2006, 08:16 PM) *

i'm here ...

headbang.gif Andy

Reminds me of the rocket scientist working for Qwest I had to deal with when my long distance didn't work.

RS : "It's probably a fault in your wiring."
Me : "But I'm talking to you right now. I'm on my home phone right now."
RS : "But has your wiring been tested ?"
Me : (click)
Mueller
Andy...your rear vented rotor spacers are finished.... smash.gif
Brad Roberts
AirDefense.

The only way to fly!! (no pun intended)

I use their software to locate wireless devices that are "searching" for a wireless provider. Then you can get into any machine by sending it what "it thinks" is a live wireless connection.

We use it for site survey purposes.

AirDefense sells some VERY good (Govt. uses it) security that rides on Cisco Aironet and Trapeze wireless networks.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 18 2006, 09:34 AM) *

Andy...your rear vented rotor spacers are finished.... smash.gif

mueba.gif
Brad Roberts
Andy,

are you cooking your reat rotors?? need to go to vented?? LOL

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 18 2006, 11:07 AM) *

are you cooking your reat rotors?? need to go to vented?? LOL

huh? they've been vented for years. mueller made me some spacers for the rotors so i don't need to have washers behind the caliper mounting.

with the 911 hubs and 911 vented rotors, the rotor doesn't end up in the center of the caliper.
my (your!) previous solution was to put two washers inbetween the caliper and the mounting tab. while it worked, it didn't seem like the right thing to do, so i had mueller make me a set of spacers that move the rotor outward instead ...

smash.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I knew something was wrong!! We used the washers because we where out of time.

Good idea by the way! Use spacers on the 911 calipers.

B
Gint
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Oct 18 2006, 10:31 AM) *

Reminds me of the rocket scientist working for Qwest I had to deal with when my long distance didn't work.

RS : "It's probably a fault in your wiring."
Me : "But I'm talking to you right now. I'm on my home phone right now."
RS : "But has your wiring been tested ?"
Me : (click)

chairfall.gif av-943.gif

That cracked me up! Thanks Jeff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.