Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I test some used front inserts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
I've got 2 sets of used front struts with inserts still in them. I just read about using a pipe wrench to get the top retainer off, so I should be able to inspect them soon. Since I could always use more money, and plan to sell the extra struts/hubs/calipers I have at the end of my rebuild, I was thinking of offering the used inserts on the classifieds. BUT I don't want to be accused of selling junk and do my 914 bros a diss-service.

Just did the search and opinions vary from "just get new ones" to "they last a long time" as to the quality of some used front shock inserts.

Is there a test that I can do on the bench top for rebound, compression, wear, or anything? Would it be best to junk these or sell "AS IS" to somebody that doesn't care? I can tell they do offer lots of resistance to quick push/pull and move smoothly.

beerchug.gif
G e o r g e
what struts are they, not that i know how to test them, but i am looking for some red koni front struts, beerchug.gif
914nerd
Sorry about the hijacked.gif
but, George, when are you looking to get those by?
I am probably going to buy some bils off a guy nearby and I have a pair of front reds that I am not using
PM me if you are interested (I will wind up getting the bils probably in the next few months)

Again, sorry about the hijack
It seems to me that if they are offering sufficient resistance, they are probably still in reasonable shape

Charles
Chris Pincetich
Took out the first pair of inserts that came in my used '75 struts and they are blue and offer gud resistance and look great. Blue? My *search* did not match any discussion that mentioned blue shock inserts. They say "made in the USA" .
Any ideas?
beerchug.gif
McMark
Monroe often finished their struts in a blue hammer-finish. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.