Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 4702908790 has begun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Got home from the FFC on Sunday and last night I started getting ole #70 ready for body & paint work. I have been talking with a few paint shops and decided on our very own Flat Out (aka Shelby) to do the honors.

Staring at the front and working my way back. I knew I had rust in the channel for the front trunk seal down by the head light buckets, but found a a few holes in the channel up by the cowl WTF.gif

I know my longs are solid the little rust issues were fix last year there. Trunks are solid & so are the floor pans. I'm lucky, just a lot of little dents and dings and maybe a very small rust hole on the passenger front fender down low.

I know we like pictures so here you go. biggrin.gif

GaroldShaffer
The rust collection so far biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'm going to have Shelby cut the lip edge in the corners (marked in red) so water will run down the channel and drain out through the head light bucket drain and behind the bumper. Also I am not going to glue my new trunk seal in once the car is done so I can remove it and clean the channel when needed.
Click to view attachment
Brian Mifsud
My weather seal channels are bad also... looking forward to watching the metal repair blow by blow. Have you considered some kind of special protection or surface treatment once they are repaired to prevent a repeat?
GaroldShaffer
I don't know, I think by opening the end of the channels water shouldn't collect there? I hope.
bd1308
Garold, I thought you ran D-jet? I'm confused...
gopack
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 17 2006, 04:21 PM) *

My weather seal channels are bad also... looking forward to watching the metal repair blow by blow. Have you considered some kind of special protection or surface treatment once they are repaired to prevent a repeat?

I have some pics of the repair in this area. just go to photobucket.com, and search for my name: gopack42, and you will see how my guy took care of that rust
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 02:26 PM) *

Garold, I thought you ran D-jet? I'm confused...

huh.gif
I do, I have a 73 FI 2.0L under the engine lid. Remember mine is modified just a bit from a stock 70 914. wink.gif
GWN7
generally they rust in the channel because water gets under the trunk seal and sits...and sits...trapped by the rubber
bd1308
See thats what I thought, until I saw these...
JPB
Por-15 biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
Inlets for the turbo....that or a couple of badges on the closed engine lid
Doug Leggins
Go Garold Go!!!

You might want to start looking for local platers and powder coaters biggrin.gif
Engman
DSP - remember he works for Motorola - this car has

Digital Signal Processing

laugh.gif

M
highways
Zero-Rust beats POR-15 on the salt water dingy dock 1 year submersion test. wink.gif

I'm doing that exact same front trunk seal channel repair this week. Wirebrushing, metal etching, water rinsing, acetone drying, and zero-rusting, in a nutshell.
bd1308
sad.gif

Yep saw that.

Damn I was ther too.

:embarrased:
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 02:55 PM) *

See thats what I thought, until I saw these...

Yep Mark is right, badges on my closed engine lid. The reflection is of a set of Mahle rims I have for sale in the classifieds smile.gif Are you looking for more Riveira rims? I have a set of those also. They have curb rash but are straight.
GaroldShaffer
I have the rockers off, man was there a lot of rocks and crap in there. I pulled them off last fall also. My longs are solid (I knew that already) I pulled the rear lights only thing left to do is pull rear bumper & valance, then finish removing the seats and door panels and I should be ready for body work & paint.

I also spent some $$ with Dave at GPR yesterday and order my new body seals, ouch blink.gif I have to say GPR prices were the best I found on OEM seals. I still need to get some cheap tires that will hold air for my steel rims so I can roll the car around. I'm really enjoying this process and can't wait to get it back when Shelby is done with it.

Sorry no pictures, battery is dead in camera yet again.
GaroldShaffer
WooHoo boldblue.gif got a email from Shelby saying she has room for my car. w00t.gif Just need to work out the details of when to drop it off. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

I can't wait boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
GaroldShaffer
Update time aktion035.gif

Going to pick up my 914 from Shelby on July 15th. It spent part of the winter and spring / summer with her getting the rust repair and the correct signal orange paint with the black stripes. Here are a few picks of the trip down to her place back in November. I will post pics after I get him home on Sunday. clap56.gif

mudfoot76
clap56.gif

I can't wait to see it!
Lou W
popcorn[1].gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(gopack @ Oct 17 2006, 02:36 PM) *

I have some pics of the repair in this area. just go to photobucket.com, and search for my name: gopack42, and you will see how my guy took care of that rust

Some good photos here. Here's a link to make it easier to get to.

Can't wait to see the results! My 72 is still sitting under a tarp, waiting for me to get back to it and fix similar channel issues. The cut-outs sound like a great solution.
seanery
woohoo can't wait to see it!!!!!
Porsche Rescue
popcorn[1].gif
BigDBass
popcorn[1].gif
GaroldShaffer
LONG day yesterday. I got my baby home clap56.gif

Open trailer shot at 5:30am

Click to view attachment

What I seen 5 1/2 hrs later at Shelby's place boldblue.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The arch on the way home

Click to view attachment

Finally home drunk.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
More pictures biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

My 5 1/2 yr son Nathan and daddy's other baby

Click to view attachment

Shot of the rear with my trailer hitch

Click to view attachment

I had Shelby paint the sail panels black with atexture look. I like the look. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Needless to say once off the trailer I drove it around the block about 10 times driving.gif man I missed this car wub.gif

I plan start putting things back together today, I have a Evolution driving school this weekend so I need to get my bootyshake.gif in gear smash.gif
BigDBass
biggrin.gif Looks great, Garold!
I'd wondered if you were gonna weld up the side markers, and I now see the answer. Now get it back together quicklike.
mudfoot76
drooley.gif
Looks purdy!!! The painted sail panel is a really nice touch.

Now get that back together and sign up here:
CIR-PCA Fall Driver's Education, Sept 15-16

Hopefully I'll have my ongoing engine nightmare sorted out by then and you won't be the only teener (if I don't, it is MINI time again dry.gif ).

Either way, I'll be there driving.gif
seanery
sweet! do you have any pics of it finished?

wow, I missed a whole year on this car?

PM me, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole process - whitey is gonna need paint and flares, etc...soon
davep
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif of Shelby biggrin.gif
rjames
Car looks great! I'm diggin the painted sail panels as well. However, I too think that any pictures of cars that Shelby has worked on should be accompanied by photos of Shelby. biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 17 2008, 09:12 AM) *

sweet! do you have any pics of it finished?

wow, I missed a whole year on this car?

PM me, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole process - whitey is gonna need paint and flares, etc...soon

Well little update. Drove the rest of 2007 & all 2008 with ouside 98% finished, but needed to finish the inside. So here are some updated pictures. First AXing in 2008 aktion035.gif Then new carpet and 3rd brake light installed recently. I need to pull the windshield as the clips are broken to hold the lower trim on dry.gif

GaroldShaffer
Hope the trucks will see me now when I stop smile.gif

pete-stevers
looks great!! piratenanner.gif
that third light is a life saver on the road
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.