Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost my keys. What do I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhopkins
I think I lost all my keys to my 914. What do I do? Do I need to buy new match key and ignition switch/door locks or can a locksmith make a new key without an original or can I order the correct key from Porsche?

Don from Philly
GWN7
Some locksmiths can make you a new key. Pull a door handle and take it to them to use for the pattern.

Porsche has no records of the tumbler combos used (I asked at my local P shop).
bd1308
hmm...

i would send your cylinders to some member on this club who can rearrange the little slivers to match some key he may have or tehre are machines that can cut a key from the cylinder numbers.
d7n7master
Assuming that you didn't lock your keys in the car. Remove the door handles
and have them re-keyed. Use the "search" function right here.
I think i remember somebody on this board that does a re-key & repairs the door handle if req'd.
If the car IS locked. I have found that carefully removed the stationary vent
window works best to access the inside door lock.
Gud Luck!!
bd1308
I used a hanger, bent it straight and stuck it between the window and the window frame, felt for a ledge and pushed down.

click
G e o r g e
mark b is the lock guy the way i understand it beerchug.gif
markb
If the car was keyed to a single key, take the passenger door handle, or the glovebox lock to a locksmith.
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 17 2006, 09:08 PM) *

If the car was keyed to a single key, take the passenger door handle, or the glovebox lock to a locksmith.

agree.gif I bought a '67 bug a while back and my problem is that the p.o. had no keys for it. So I removed one of the door handles (with the numbers visible) and took it down to the local lock smith. About ten minutes later, I left with three keys for the car.
highways
Sell it as a parts car.

Just kidding! happy11.gif
jsteele22

Also, I think Scott Thatcher does keys, or re-keying, or something that might be useful. (Maybe you could re-key the tumblers so that a uncut key blank would open the door; then you'd never have to worry about losing your keys again!)

Be glad it wasn't a Saab. If you lose/break your keyless remote while the alarm is set, you have to buy a whole new ECU; cost from Stealership : around $1200 IIRC. No other solution exists. Except maybe MegaSquirt...

914rrr
If the car is locked, I've seen the 'pop-a-lock' guys use a small air bladder that is inserted between the glass and rubber then inflated to make an opening. This allows you to grab the door latch inside w/o tearing up the rubber.
rhodyguy
a mobile locksmith can read the tumblers (take an impression) with a *soft* blank, code it, and cut you a fresh one. no need to remove any component. you want to read the ignition and the dr side handle if the doors require a different key. takes about 20 minutes per. i watched a ls do this.

k
dhopkins
Goods news! I found my keys! I have missed driving my 914 so much!!! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.