Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nearly finished my 916-6 but shifting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeti
Hello to the club.
Well it has to come, my 914-6 is nearly finished. I made a 500 miles testdrive the last 4 days. It is a original 6 with a 3.0 engine with carbs, 915 gearbox, stronger body, modified engine mount... And with a cable shifter system. I have posted that in a previous topic. It is the same offered from Patrick Motorsport - I guess the company producing them is Cunningham?
Well I got some problems to adjust the system. It is a bit windy and the shift pattern has already changed again. Right now I can't shift the 2nd gear and after maybe 20min of driving in 5th gear the system is nearly baked together. Sometimes you can't push the shift lever to to other gears. I will readjust it but I doubt that I will be rally satisfied.
It is lubed of course. Also I do not like that the lever is not spring loaded at all. And there is no extra locking if you move from 5th gear to 4th gear. It can happen (and it happend) that instead of the 4th gear you trry to shift in the reverse. Autsch smash.gif Poor gearbox - this one is really great. Close gear ration, 40 % LSD just perfect.
So I know it is big money but I'm thinking to buy the Wevo sideshifter system but there are a lot of questions left.

- Who has expereience ith this system - what do I need furthermore for my car?
- Where to buy?
- Can I use the mechanical tachometer drive?
- What would be the best shifter? I've seen that Wevo is producing one, Seinesystem, Rennshift of course and...

Here are some pics and I also made some short videos - nothing spectacular but pump up the volume biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And here some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiGTbvbd0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVol05J3oxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6wv9gSt8E

Well that is for entertainement but I really need your help aktion035.gif Puics of the Wevo system installed are welcome.
Thank for your help.

Yeti

Bleyseng
Someone stole your centercaps!!!

nice car!

I have only seen the Wevo set up at a booth and its way cool. Its the way I would go if I went witha 915.

do a search as its been discussed a bunch with lots of info here before
Britain Smith
The WEVO set-up is awesome. I have seen them in peices at WEVO's place, seen them installed, used them, and admired them...a very nice engineered part. Drop Hayden at WEVO an email or ring, he is one of the most knowledgable guys you will ever talk to. Here is a link to their website with more info on the kit:

WEVO 915 Sideshit Kit

And some pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

While you are there, I would also consider getting the internal gateshift kit installed also. Huge improvement in shifting from an internal mechanism point of view.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Elliot Cannon.. you watching this thread??

Make sure you tell Tracy or Hayden that the guy's at the 914Club sent you. They need to know that we are helping to support them.

B
yeti
Yeah thanks for the info - awesome looking gearbox!!! . I have searched the forum for Wevo but to be hones I did not found my answers smile.gif I know the Wevo hompage - great I have printed out the related information yesterday. As I said - the cableshift is not 1st class system in my opinion. Me and my mechanic will work on it again. Another problem on the cableshift system is that you have to push the lever prettyhard and strong to change the gears. Not a easy and smooth operation - in my opinion.
Anyone knows if a mechanical tachometer will work? Would a shift rod system complete like the one at PMS the system 100%?

Thanks again,
Yeti
JPB
I've seen some cable shifters and some of them look kinda rough. Post some pics to see what you have.

beer.gif
JWest
Not to be a salesman (well, yeah, I am) - but since you asked, the RennShift for 911 will work great with the WEVO and save you from having to also buy a 915 shift housing.

I designed the RennShift to fit inside the stock console (just barely, and it was a tight squeeze to package everything in the housing). It is much smaller in diameter than the factory 915 shift housing so it should fit your console better.
yeti
Hi,
here a few pics from the system.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Heat shield was a bit rusty - pics are before completing the car

IPB Image

Not a final muffler
- space for a muffler is rare so I built something

IPB Image

So, that should be enough pictures.
@James - I was on your website yesterday evening - great product and lot of positive feedback smile.gif
The console is hand built and should only cover the ugly cables you see in the firsr pic. If I would run the Wevo I would not use the concole anymore. Just a plain, original look. The car is really a blast, lots of torque and power. And it is just a "spare" for a 3.5 twin plug engine...
How many users run a Wevo here in the Club. Anyone knows that?

Yeti
Jeroen
QUOTE(yeti @ Oct 18 2006, 11:43 PM) *

Anyone knows if a mechanical tachometer will work?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the WEVO allows for a mechanical speedo
Send them an e-mail or call them
They're good people, you won't be disapointed
yeti
Oh, that would be bad... Got a nice tach and a good working system. I just send them a email - I will see.
Dr Evil
Yeti,
I am curious as to how you keep the cable sheaths from moving at the shifter (inside car) end? It looks like the cable sheaths are butted up to the box, but not screwed in. Am I correct? This could cause problems if so.
dekman
Beautiful car!!!! What color green is that? I'm also going Wevo with out the gate shift(out of $)...will let you know how it shifts. I was told I have to go electric speedo...mechanical will not work with late model 915(mines an '82). Good luck! clap56.gif
yeti
Hello.
@Dr. Evil. Well I have to check if there is more room to fully screw in the cables in the box. But I thinj, that is correct. I had a look at the PMS site and found a picture nearly the same

IPB Image

A problem was that the cables are moving a bit under the car and have changed the shift pattern. I had to fix them. It is better but far away from being perfekt - IMO. But I have to readjust them again.

@Dekman - thanks for the compliment rolleyes.gif The colour is irish green - btw. I bought the car nearly 10 years ago from the USA. Still unrestored and I did all the modification unsure.gif . I would not be sure if I need the gate shift as well. Where do you buy it - are there price differences at the companies? So your gearbox is already prepared for electronisal Speedo? Hm my is for mechanical... I was asked when the gearbox was built by PHII in the USA what to do and I have choosen that way. I've emailed Wevo but no answer yet.

Yeti
dekman
What year of trans do you have? I believe the early 915's were mechanical speedo's( pre '74? ). In mine, when the diff was flipped, I was told I needed the New Wevo side cover(~$320 see pic). It relocates the electric speedo pick-up. And of course, a new speedo(used ~$200). Also added a GT 60/40 locking diff.(cost= too much!). Good Luck! wavey.gif
yeti
I can't say what year of trans I have. As I said it was built for me by Powerhouse II and they asked me whether I want electrinical or mechanical Speedo. I choose the last option. And this is a few years ago....
You got a nice Sidecover - and that was only 320 $? Where did you buy it? Or was it extra? Oh I wold be happy if I had choosen Wevo first.
Hm the speedo issue is in my head now - since that will cost extra $$$ for converting and I like my 300KM/H tach. If so, I will havt to convert a electronical into the look of the "old" one.
I also have a chromoly LSD but I had it adjust fo 40% - that is ok for street I guess. Anyone more who drives the Wevo? Expperience and pictures maybe?
Thanks
jim912928
what are the muffler options with wevo? will the standard 911 banana muffler fit?
yeti
No,
as far as I know they do not fit without modification. Since the 915 gearbos is a bit larger than the 901. I've seen a picture here in the forum that shows the Wevo system with a stck muffler but it was cut out un the middle 2 or 3 inches and welded back together.
Edit - I found the pic - it's from East coaster:

IPB Image
yeti
Just a little "bump". Have not heard from Wevo yet...
Nobody of the Wevo users here???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.