Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help starting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I'm wondering where to start here.

I have a 1.7 with dual Webers that I need to get going (parents on my ass smile.gif )

My initial thought is to just get it running "okay" enough to drive it down to a shop and have it fully tuned up.

Or I may just take the plunge and attempt it all myself (I'm thinking this is a bad idea)

What would the first step be?

The engine has hydraulic lifters. Does this mean I don't need to touch the valves?

The timing. Is this something a total 'newb' should attempt themself? I've been reading up on how to set the timing and it seems pretty simple. I've been thinking of getting a timing light.

As far as adjusting the carbs, I have no idea where to start.

As of now, the engine will turn over and sputter and seem like it wants to start, and occassionally will fire up for a split second but die off again.

Where do I start with the carbs? Any "how to" articles out there?

Where do I start in general?

I could really use some assistance here.
TIA - Zack
toon1
If it sputters and kicks, sounds like you're close. A timing light will be good to have for future use, there cheap to buy.
I'm in Tracy and may be able to lend a hand
Check the search for info on carbs. Good luck
SGB
Junk in the carbs is a likely culprit. I have hydrualic cam/lifters/pushrods too. IF they are right you won't need to touch 'em. If they aren't right, unless WAY off, engine's ability to start and run (maybe poorly) should not be impacted. Look at the Pelican Parts website for timing guidance. With carbs, you can "static time" (no light used) and be damn close. If you haven't changed the plugs, they are probably fouled from trying to start it. Get an extra set of the Bosch coppers (nC-7 I think) in case you need to do it again.
To adjust the carbs, we need to know more. What kind of carburation is it? Dual Webers is common. Also dual D'elortos. There are some single carb setups as well.
SGB
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 19 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Junk in the carbs is a likely culprit. I have hydrualic cam/lifters/pushrods too. IF they are right you won't need to touch 'em. If they aren't right, unless WAY off, engine's ability to start and run (maybe poorly) should not be impacted. Look at the Pelican Parts website for timing guidance. With carbs, you can "static time" (no light used) and be damn close. If you haven't changed the plugs, they are probably fouled from trying to start it. Get an extra set of the Bosch coppers (nC-7 I think) in case you need to do it again.
To adjust the carbs, we need to know more. What kind of carburation is it? Dual Webers is common. Also dual D'elortos. There are some single carb setups as well.

I'm paying attention now-
Dual webers- prolly 40 IDA
Do the search thing. The jets are pretty accessable- idle jets are just below the fuel inlet behind 2 flathead brass screws, main jets from on top, in between the barrals, at the bottom of the emulsion tube which is screwed into the top with another brass flathead screw, just in from the venturi.
Hose those jets down with carb cleaner, and blast into the opening where the idles were pulled out
Mueller
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 19 2006, 08:19 AM) *

I'm wondering where to start here.

I have a 1.7 with dual Webers that I need to get going (parents on my ass smile.gif )

My initial thought is to just get it running "okay" enough to drive it down to a shop and have it fully tuned up.

If you do the shop thing, make sure they can and will work on the car and know carbs, I'd call or visit 1st, lots of shops won't touch it and a few that will might end up causing more problems

Or I may just take the plunge and attempt it all myself (I'm thinking this is a bad idea)

You gotta learn sometime

What would the first step be?

The engine has hydraulic lifters. Does this mean I don't need to touch the valves?

Are they brand new? Did you install them? They do require an initial adjustment, I have no idea how, someone might chime in.

The timing. Is this something a total 'newb' should attempt themself? I've been reading up on how to set the timing and it seems pretty simple. I've been thinking of getting a timing light.

Timing is simple and something you NEED to learn, anyone too lazy to learn this basic procedure should sell thier 914 and buy a new Honda biggrin.gif

As far as adjusting the carbs, I have no idea where to start.

Got any books or manuals on the carbs or do you learn thru osmosis??

As of now, the engine will turn over and sputter and seem like it wants to start, and occassionally will fire up for a split second but die off again.

Where do I start with the carbs? Any "how to" articles out there?

See above, also the search button will find some carb how to articles

Where do I start in general?

Find out if you need to do something with the cam 1st, if it is totally out of wack adjustment wise, it'll make everything else more difficult and worse case is you fry the engine. Then you can do a static timing check, then get a baseline on the carbs. You might have to redo a few items after doing one or two other things.

I could really use some assistance here.
TIA - Zack

Hammy
Toon 1- Thanks. What color is your car? Maybe I've seen it before. Do you know anything about carbs? I could probably use your hand.

Scott - They're dual Weber 40's IDF's. I'll try some new plugs and see what that'll do.

Idiot question, what are jets and what do they do? (Told ya I'm a carb newb) I

know they come in different sizes and such.

Mueller - I was definitely going to browse some shops and ask around before I

brought my car in. I already know a shop in the area that knows 914's, but it was FI.

There might've been a misunderstanding, I got the engine from a club member and it

ran fine. Over the past 5 months or so I've been slowly putting my car back

together. Over that time, I've run the engine a few times, it ran roughly, probably

due to the carbs being way out of adjustment, but it ran. Now I only get it to

sputter and run for a split second. So no, I didn't install the hydraulic lifters or

anything. And by cam you mean the dizzy cam, right? What is static timing and

how do I do it?

Again, thanks for all your help guys.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.