Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn doesn't work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Checked out each horn and they are both good. Trying to find out where J4 , the horn relay is. Is this one of the ones on the fuse pannel? Tried to read from the wire in the steering column to the relay , no conductivity to any of the relays. If one of the relays on the fuse panel is supposed to be the horn relay , them I have an open somewhere between horn button and relay. Gosh these cars are a lot of fun working on. Even more fun to drive!!!
Thanks,
Tom
Dave_Darling
The horn relay should be one of the ones on top of the fuse panel. Check the wire colors going to your relays against the colors on the diagram. I believe the horn wire is brown/white (check the diagram, my memory isn't that great). You ground the wire to trigger the relay which sends power to the horns. You can test that by jumpering that relay terminal (the one the brown/white wire hooks to) to ground and then turning the key on.

--DD
jsteele22

I had the opposite problem -- horns themselves didn't work so I started troubleshooting at the other end. headbang.gif

Anyway, in addition to what Dave said, you can remove the "horn button". (I find that term confusing, but the button is the 8" wide bowtie-shaped hoop that you press on to blow the horn.) To remove it, just twist it CCW about 30 degrees and it lifts right off. My memory might be foggy here, but I think you can now see the (brown ?) wire that activates the horn. It's supposed to be pushed onto a connector, but sometimes comes off. Touching that to gound should sound the horn or at least make the horn relay click. While you're in there, it's nice to replace the rubber "spring" that makes the horn button snap back. Pelican sells it. A new one feels a lot better, even if your horns still don't work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.