Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: siezed motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914

Friend just put in a 2 liter he had top end redone on. drove a few 100 miles and it died, motor won't turn. he is ready to shoot the damn thing. lots of time and money into it, and now, no go. stranded on way to work.

any suggestions for a source of a good running turn key motor? probably anything that runs to get him back on the road. a 1.7 or 2.0 would be ideal, cause me and him are used to the D-jet, althoug a complete 1.8 would work.

Budget is a real concern, as much money went into getting this car running already.

he is in San mateo Calif. so local woudl be nice

toon1
Quick and dirty, that's EASY you can p/u a running 1.7 for $350 with FI. They are in Emeryville.

Ask for John
Brando
Jared (DrifterJay) Has a 1.8, I think complete for sale here in Costa Mesa. It is supposedly just rebuilt.

As for the old engine, where was it rebuilt at? Does your friend want to just junk it and replace? Or have it rebuilt again? I would suggest after you get another running engine to tear it down and see where the conflict is. Was the little green light on the left gauge when the engine siezed? biggrin.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(Brando @ Oct 19 2006, 09:12 AM) *

Jared (DrifterJay) Has a 1.8, I think complete for sale here in Costa Mesa. It is supposedly just rebuilt.

As for the old engine, where was it rebuilt at? Does your friend want to just junk it and replace? Or have it rebuilt again? I would suggest after you get another running engine to tear it down and see where the conflict is. Was the little green light on the left gauge when the engine siezed? biggrin.gif

agree.gif here's the LINK to drifterjay's 1.8 longblock.
So.Cal.914
Was it running hot ? Was it makeing noise? Did it make a BANG! just before it

came to it's untimely demise? Info..Man ..info.
tradisrad
It is my motor that seized.
It started making a lot of noise so I pulled to the side of the highway and it stalled out. Now it wont turn over.
The noise it started to make seemed like valve clatter....
I am currently loading the glock.
toon1
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 19 2006, 11:16 AM) *

It is my motor that seized.
It started making a lot of noise so I pulled to the side of the highway and it stalled out. Now it wont turn over.
The noise it started to make seemed like valve clatter....
I am currently loading the glock.

Dropped a seat, maybe a valve, could be something simple to fix. It will only take a few hours to pull the motor and tear it down to find out. It will have to come out to put a new motor in, pull it out and diagnose it first. It may save you in the long run.
Brando
If you want to find out -- Host a jsharp.gif and spread the tools out. Post it on the board, (clear it with the wife [if applicable]) and tell us what ya want done. smile.gif
Twystd1
Pull the valve covers.

Pull the rocker arm assembly.

And see if the engine turns.

That will tell us a bunch.

And it takes under an hour..!!!!!!!!

Clayton
Dave_Darling
Host a BBQ, and you'll get help turning the wrenches... It's a 914club tradition! smile.gif

Does the motor turn over when you put it in gear and turn one road-wheel (with the other one blocked from moving)? Or when pushing the car in gear so both rear wheels turn? If so, it is not siezed and you merely have a starter problem.

Does the starter click and sound like it's really trying to turn the motor over when you crank the key? Then you may have a locked-up engine.

About the only non-hugely-expensive reason for seizeing that I can think of would be hydro-lock. You can pull the spark plugs and spin the starter to clear that--just don't lean into the engine bay when someone is doing that, or you'll catch a fountain straight in the face! (Sadly, it was gasoline and not water!)

You can look at the rocker arms and valve tips as was suggested. If there's nothing obviously wrong, pull the rocker arms off and look to see if one or more valves sit a lot closer to the head than others. If so, that's pretty bad news... But not unusual for a 2.0 engine, either.

--DD
dmenche914
Still don't know what to do. He just spent a ton on top end work on this engine, now this. checked out EASY and it is $400 for a long block. He was hoping that he could get a turn key motor, cause of family commitments, he cannot put much tim einto building up the FI system for 1.7 (he spent days working out the bugs in the 2.0 FI, even recalibrating the MPS , wires, everything.

Now it is get something in there quick that runs, and is cheap, else he will have to give up 914's (golly he got me into these things 15 years ago)

Any more suggestions on a running motor he can just put in?
Twystd1
This is a remote possibility.

Thomas is running one of my spare engines in his Aubergine car.

He said he was going to swap it with something else.

If so.

He can have my carbed engine for cheap. it's a known good engine.
(One low cylinder. yet runs like a champ)

PM him or call/PM Joe Sharp for his phone number.

I still think it is worth pulling the valve covers and telling us what you see.

just might be somehting simple. (doubtful, but possible)

Like a rocker stand nut came loose and simply bent a cheap pushrod.

It's worth looking at. IMHO.

C
tradisrad
My depression is setting in quickly. I just got it running a few weeks ago.

I've got a 2nd 2.0 that I pulled out, it has low compression, well, it never really ran well, its a GEX rebuild and they did something wrong, perhaps GEX put bus pistion in it or the wrong cam. I ran it for years as I could really do nothing else, my warranty expired before I really got it going.

I think at this point I need to pull the engine (maybe on Sat), get dmenche914's 914 out of my garage, and sort out the mess.

My 2.0 has 96mm pistons on it . My GEX motor has big valve heads on it. Both bottom ends are unknown. I think between the two motors I may be able to put something together.

At least all the bugs are worked out of the FI.

I just got a set of Fuchs (I had fake ones that had a horrible off-set) with new tires and was going to have a 4 wheel alignment done today. I was so stoked to have my car running so strong, I took the wife to the beach the other day, it was like old times.

As it is now the motor wont turn over at all, the starter sure tries. It was running so well and strong. I really am having a hard time believing this has happened. It did get hot and noisy, I pulled over quickly. I checked the dip stick on the side of the road and it was low, I put in oil (2 quarts) and it is now over full by a quart or more, so I may have been a quart low but I can not imagine that 1 quart low would cause my engine to fry.

I have half a mind to sell the car, the motors, all the spare parts and go to Hawaii on the cash! Shooting it would only land me in jail and they would probably take my guns as well.
I'll keep the club posted.... I am off to cry now....
Randal
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Oct 19 2006, 02:21 PM) *

Still don't know what to do. He just spent a ton on top end work on this engine, now this. checked out EASY and it is $400 for a long block. He was hoping that he could get a turn key motor, cause of family commitments, he cannot put much tim einto building up the FI system for 1.7 (he spent days working out the bugs in the 2.0 FI, even recalibrating the MPS , wires, everything.

Now it is get something in there quick that runs, and is cheap, else he will have to give up 914's (golly he got me into these things 15 years ago)

Any more suggestions on a running motor he can just put in?

Trekkor had a 2.0 that was ready to go.
toon1
don't be so hard on yourself!! It sounds like you have parts to get it going again.

It sounds like a dropped valve seat, if the pistons are ok swap heads and let er rip.

If the seat had dropped and is up agaist the pist. it won't turn over. Try spinning it by hand a little the opposite direction.

tradisrad
Maybe I'll sell the 914 and get a 944! Any thoughts on that note?

The real problem is time. I am 35, going to college for my BS in EET, have wife and kid in tow, work full time, love to rock climb and work on my car. I just cant keep doing it all. The college is not to be given up, I wont stop climbing and the wife and kid, well, they are for keeps.....

No I should not be so hard on my self.

Ya know dmanche914's 914 that is in my garage also has a siezed 2.0, hmmm more parts.

I really need to sleep on it.

Here is a picture of the beast

IPB Image
toon1
DUDE!! that's a nice car!! Don't give up on it. Sleep on it tonight, throw a jsharp.gif on sat, and get it fixed.
anthony
If you are in college then it means you have fall break coming up, Thanksgiving break, and then Xmas break. You could give up rock climbing for a couple of weekends to bust your knuckles on the car.
bd1308
OMG man.

I taught myself these cars, get *something* like a cheap/free engine and drop the engine in a weekend and roll it until you can figure something else out.
tradisrad
I've had the car for 15 years. I can pull the motor in a few short hours w/o help and do all the service with relative ease. I guess a big part of me is sick of it.
I am going to sleep on it, and mull over my options. more than likely I'll have the car for another 15 years... its just so frustrating.... and I do like the idea of a 944, they are dirt cheap right now....
the paint looks better in the pic than in "real life", I just took off those rims and replaced them with factory fuchs.
Bleyseng
Happens to all of us.. dry.gif

a 944 isn't much better as if the timing belt lets go.....ya are toasted too with bent valves and all.
tradisrad
I finally pulled my motor this morning and stripped it down. I pulled the plugs and noticed some damage to a time-sert. I did not have time to pull the heads off today, hopefully I'll get to that tommorow.
I am attaching a picture of my spark plug that still has the damaged time-sert on it.
Any thoughs on why the time-sert got damaged? I think the cylinder had struck it and perhaps this lead to the seizure of my motor.
IPB Image
IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
Looks like it has melted, not impact damage. Excessive heat?
bondo
You had head work done and got it back with a time-sert? I'd expect the holes to be welded up and redrilled, especially on a 2 liter. Who did the work? Any warranty?
tradisrad
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 4 2006, 05:38 PM) *

I think the time-sert is steel, so would the head not melt first?
tradisrad
QUOTE(bondo @ Nov 4 2006, 05:39 PM) *

You had head work done and got it back with a time-sert? I'd expect the holes to be welded up and redrilled, especially on a 2 liter. Who did the work? Any warranty?

the head had a heli-coil in it that came out on me, the fellow who did my head work suggest I put in the time-sert, so I did. I dont think I have a warranty with this one
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 4 2006, 07:40 PM) *

Well yes, but you haven't pulled the head yet to check for damage, right? I'll bet there is some.
How could anything make impact with the timesert and not destroy the end of the plug?
dmenche914
Looks like the spark was being made between the insert, and the plug, or insert, and head. Molten insert metal dropped into the cylinder, adn seized the motor. Guess we will know more when the head comes off. other than that, maybe teh insert extended too far into the head, and became a hot spot. yuck!!!!

tradisrad
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 4 2006, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 4 2006, 07:40 PM) *

Well yes, but you haven't pulled the head yet to check for damage, right? I'll bet there is some.
How could anything make impact with the timesert and not destroy the end of the plug?

good point...
I'll have the heads off soon and will post back with my findings.
the wife is rushing me out of the house right now.
tradisrad
The motor is apart and I found the problem.
Seems that a rod bearing got destroyed. Looks like the engine needs the bottom end rebuilt.
IPB Image
bd1308
check your crank, hang it up on something suspended, and whack it softly with a hammer, if it rings its good, if you hear a dull thud its toast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.