Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine bay temps.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I know there has been some talk about checking this. Does anyone have any info??
Bleyseng
read this
http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/TempTests.htm
Jake Raby
Look at the fan inlet temps from my cross coutry trip data from earlier this year... Look at the weather station data for ambient temps for each section of the trip..

Most of the time the engine bay temps were 140F
SGB
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 19 2006, 07:11 PM) *

I know you are a big proponent of cooler intake temps. 140 seems like it would about justify external combustion air inlet from a remote location in any ambient temp. Have I got something screwy there Jake? If it is viable it seems like free HP.
toon1
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 19 2006, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 19 2006, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 19 2006, 07:11 PM) *

I know you are a big proponent of cooler intake temps. 140 seems like it would about justify external combustion air inlet from a remote location in any ambient temp. Have I got something screwy there Jake? If it is viable it seems like free HP.

That's a good artical. temps of 140 doesn't seem all that high, I'msure liquid cooled temps uner the hood are more than that.

I would also be interested in knowing why cool air intake is not agood idea.
Bleyseng
cooler intake air is a good thing. rig up a snorkle like Chuxster did to get it.

I don't know how much free hp that is thou..

Anybody have data?
jd74914
Its a percentage gain . . . IIRC Demick? had something on his website (which I can't find right now) on the subject.
toon1
QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 20 2006, 08:35 AM) *

That's a interesting test, I love reading those type of reports.

Are there any reports done on hp gain on intake air provided by a scoop on the outside. That would be interesing considering it's air that is somewhat forced and it's cooler than engine bay temps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.