Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enclosed car trailers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
Considering upgrading the open 18' trailer for an enclosed one.

Questions for those of you that own 'em:

What kind do you have?
Do you like it?
What don't you like about it?
What would you do differently if you bought another one?
How do you keep it protected from being stolen?
What's the best way to get a used one?
What do we need to look out for when buying used?

bryanc
I'm looking for one as well. So far, I've found some bargains if you are willing to do some work to them..... the floors get torn up, doors get tweeked, stuff like that. All of the used ones seem to have one or two 'oops'.

I'm hoping to buy something early next year, but I've been keeping my eyes open...
GTeener
QUOTE(bryanc @ Oct 19 2006, 04:30 PM) *

I'm looking for one as well. So far, I've found some bargains if you are willing to do some work to them..... the floors get torn up, doors get tweeked, stuff like that. All of the used ones seem to have one or two 'oops'.

I'm hoping to buy something early next year, but I've been keeping my eyes open...

Where've you been looking?
bryanc
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 19 2006, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(bryanc @ Oct 19 2006, 04:30 PM) *

Where've you been looking?

Around town and ebay. My office is in the 'industrial' section of town, so there are lots of trailer dealers. They usually have a few used ones in stock.
propricer
Used trailers ...

http://www.racecar2000.com/
JoeSharp
Gwen: I have a Classic 32" Box trailor. Love it. I keep it in my drive way. Bought it from a racer on E-bay. Came with lots of extras. It hauls 2 cars. Awning, generator, comperssor in cabinets and a whench, exteror lights and a nice doubel foulding rear ramp for low cars.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
drew365
You have to try to balance how much stuff you want to take with how much trailer you want to tow and store. I use a 20' Haulmark. I fit my 914 and all the tools, parts and spare tires I need for a weekend. I don't have any built ins, meaning cabinets or spare tire racks. I don't bring a compressor or generator. I like not having to manuever anything larger. If you think you will want cabinets and spare tire racks you should probably figure on going 24' or larger.
GTeener
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Oct 19 2006, 05:34 PM) *

Gwen: I have a Classic 32" Box trailor. Love it. I keep it in my drive way. Bought it from a racer on E-bay. Came with lots of extras. It hauls 2 cars. Awning, generator, comperssor in cabinets and a whench, exteror lights and a nice doubel foulding rear ramp for low cars.

Don't think we'll be hauling 2 cars much, but your is really deluxe! How do you keep it securely stored?
akellym
I have a H & H trailer that's just perfect for 914's. The photo is from the web site. I have aluminum rims on mine.

http://www.hhtrailer.com/05XLTandemCargoTrailer.asp
TimT
What kind do you have?

I have a 26' Haulmark, its equiped with cabinets, pitpal accesories, a 55 gal fuel cel, generator, compressor. Im pretty happy with it, though I think there is a bit of wasted space ie I could get all the stuff I have in a 20' trailer.

Do you like it?
Im happy with my trailer, though it is a touch on the large size for what I need

What don't you like about it?
It offers so much more storage than a flat trailer, offer shelter, a place to secure stuff overnight etc.

What would you do differently if you bought another one?

Id get a smaller, all aluminum trailer

How do you keep it protected from being stolen?

I have a lock on the hitch, and a lock that goes between a pair of wheels

What's the best way to get a used one?

Word of mouth, Signs on the bathroom walls at the track. Also try Racejunk, I have andfriends of mine have located trailers there.

What do we need to look out for when buying used?

The obvious cosmetic damage. The the hidden stuff, rotted plywood floors, bent axles, cracked frames (near axle attachments)
steveinOC
A lot depends on what you have as a tow vehicle. I tow my 16ft enclosed
Interstate trailer with an Tahoe. With 914, tools, spare set of wheels/tires, etc.,
this size trailer is perfect for this size tow vehicle. It also serves very well
as a garage between events.

Here a few names of car hauler trailer manufactures.

Pace, Interstate, Mirage, Carson, Haulmark, Featherlite, and
there are many more.

Good hunting, Steve
shaggy
my friends dad who races mustangs and he has an enclosed trailer

its big enough that her can get the mustang(99 GT) in as well ans 2 more sets of slicks a 25 gallon compressor a welder 2 hydrilic jacks and 2 sets of jack stands 3 full size coolers a generator a full tool set and 3 chairs and blankets.

he likes it alot. hes going to weld up a bunch of shelves to keep the front of the trailer more organized though.

even with all of that stuff in there you could sleep in there too if you had to, im not sure how comfortable it would be though.

to keep stuff from being stolen he just takes the welder and the generator out and chains them to the trailer and then shuts the door and dosent bother with locking it. theres usually someone near by watching it.

hope that helps.
i really like it, its easy to work out of. i have become his pit crew and i think its easy enough to find tools in there but i cant wait for him to put the shelves in.

-jim

ps
he tows it with a ram 2500. ive never been in it when he was towing but he says it pulls well.
MJHanna
Make sure you have a tow vehicle that will handle an enclosed trailer.. I’ve got a 20ft Wells Cargo, with aero bubble, observation deck, tire racks, aluminum shelves and the electric tongue raiser (the best thing on it) also has an equalizers hitch. They all weight more than you think by the time you put your stuff and the car in it. I would NEVER hook it up to my ½ ton short bed truck. It would be a very BAD combination. Even though the numbers say it’s OK it would be a scary tow. A ¾ ton works well, with a long wheel base.
When I originally bought my trailer I though I could get way with the ½ ton. I borrowed a friends 1 ton to go pick it up. (1400 miles round trip) When I got home I did not even bother to try to hook it up. I just found a ¾ and moved on. Right now I’m looking for a 44-48 gooseneck for two cars. So I bought a 1 ton dually cuz the ¾ will not hack it with that size trailer. Go in with your eyes open.
john rogers
I bought a 34 ft toy hauler and when not racing we go camping with it which is great. I bought a 2000 Ford diesel to pull it as the gas powered trucks are seriously lacking when it comes to pulling a big box. Oh yea, the A/C is GREAT during those July races in CA!!!! I posted a couple of picts in another thread, here is the link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=61035
sjhowitson
I have a 20 foot wells cargo. It fits the 914 and all the tools and spare parts I need for a track weekend. I tow with a surburban. I am thinking about selling. If you want to come over and have a look PM me and we can work out a viewing. I park it at my office in Richmond. It is empty meaning no work bench or stuff like that. I don't have any pictures...sorry
GTeener
Good info guys. Thanks! We use a Ford Excursion (V10 - gas) to pull the open trailer. Works well.

Joe-
Nice. Definitely brag worthy thumb3d.gif Bigger than I think we'll want to go though.
messix
gwen do you remember my toyhauler from wcc6?
it's the way to go! and don't you have a diesel excursion?
you set to get a 30' toy hauler with all the comforts of home and a nice safe place for you car while towing, you can even use it as a spare garage, or guest house.

and the differemce in towing fuel economy form towing would only be 2-3 mpg different from open trailer to enclosed to toyhauler. my gas one ton gets about 10mpg unloaded, 6-7mpg towing 10k lbs. so your deisel should be closer to 10mpg.
GTeener
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 20 2006, 09:06 AM) *

I remember you toy hauler thumb3d.gif
probably bigger than we want to go at this time.

And no diesel Excursion dry.gif . It's gas. I was recommending diesel when Dad was looking to buy it, but he's diesel phobic I think. He didn't want to go there. Didn't want to have to worry about where to get refuelled.
majkos
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 20 2006, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Oct 20 2006, 09:06 AM) *

I remember you toy hauler thumb3d.gif
probably bigger than we want to go at this time.

And no diesel Excursion dry.gif . It's gas. I was recommending diesel when Dad was looking to buy it, but he's diesel phobic I think. He didn't want to go there. Didn't want to have to worry about where to get refuelled.

Kinda true on finding Diesel fuel,but along the highway, no prob.
Big plus, diesel gives WAY more mileage than gas, in the long haul.
GTeener
QUOTE(majkos @ Oct 20 2006, 04:03 PM) *

Makes up for the extra cost per gallon wink.gif maybe... idea.gif
messix
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 20 2006, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(majkos @ Oct 20 2006, 04:03 PM) *

Makes up for the extra cost per gallon wink.gif maybe... idea.gif

diesels will give 20-30% better fuel economy unloaded and better than that loaded. they make all thier power from idle to about 3500rpm, prefect for towing, and they last much longer in durability. pull away power is the most noticed benifit.
JPB
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Oct 19 2006, 08:34 PM) *

beer.gif I want one with a Swedish whench who gives professional mamamamamsaging.
blabla914
I am also on the lookout for an enclosed trailer. I'm having trouble envisioning how my stuff will fit in it. I've got a 2500HD to tow with so I'd like to keep the loaded trailer under 7500lbs. Quick recap:

Drew356 20'
Tim T 26' - would have bought smaller
steven in OC - 16' - Steven, isn't this really tight for a race weekend? Do you have a pict with it loaded?
MJ 20'
SJ 20'

I need to be able to transport cars the size of 914 plus spare wheels/tires, jacks, my modestly sized roll cab tool box, and stuff to camp for the weekend. I'll still have the bed of the truck so some of the camping stuff can go in there, but it is the short bed so I can't carry too much stuff in the truck.

I'd also like a trailer that's not rediculously huge when transporting karts, but could transport a larger car without jacks, tools, etc in an emergency.

Sounds like I'm looking for something 18-22'.

Does that sound logical?

Kelly

JPB
Sit cuz, you be gettin outa da gheto trailoring your ride to the race. You be one a dem snobs owhat?

beer.gif Wear some bling bling justa shows da peeps wheres yo fum nizzel.
JoeSharp
I thought I needed a 26 footer because 2 cars are 26 feet. so I gave it 2 more and layed out a 28 foot box around them. To small, played like I was tieing them down and had no angle on the straps. Box to 30 and was happy but I still needed a genset and compressor. 32 foot box trailer.
You need to have room to walk around the car. An awning is an absolute must. Exterior lights and power and also air hose chucks are nice. A white interior with 110 lighting works great.
We carry 2 large coolers, 8 folding chairs, a folding table, enough tools and supplies for a small shop.
I pull with a 24 foot motor home (454) so I have a full kitchen and can shower. Only hilll I couldn't get up is on the drive way to Laguna Seca.
Just thoughts
shelby/914
We are using a 24' Haulmark, to haul a 66' Mustang nothcback race car. Purchased the trailer new, so ordered the extended tounge which makes it easier to turn and back up. Get a generator door and exit doors on both sides. Battery and both 12 and 110v lights. Have not installed a winch yet, probably dont need one for a 914 at 2000lbs Pulling it with a powerstroke F250.

O'yea dont forget a spare tire.
GTeener
Good advice. Thanks ya'll! We do have an aluminum body Autokraft AC Mark IV to haul around sometimes too, but it fits on the 18' open trailer just fine, so I box should fit all. Just need to find it smile.gif
majkos
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Oct 21 2006, 08:32 AM) *

We are using a 24' Haulmark, to haul a 66' Mustang nothcback race car. Purchased the trailer new, so ordered the extended tounge which makes it easier to turn and back up. Get a generator door and exit doors on both sides. Battery and both 12 and 110v lights. Have not installed a winch yet, probably dont need one for a 914 at 2000lbs Pulling it with a powerstroke F250.

O'yea dont forget a spare tire.

Spare tire?
Sounds like a good story!

I'm using a 24' Haulmark myself,'cept no extra doors,(Wish I have thoses!)
A bit of a overkill for a 914, but sure is sweet to have the spaces for other stuff,
which right now home of a half of a 914! (Furture trailer) happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.