Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which 914 to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug73/2.0
Need advice. I learned to drive on my uncles 914...(I was 12 back then) and have wanted one ever since but the 914's i've seen here in the north east are all basket cases. I've seen so many discusions on rusted out hulks, poor shifting, underpowered, engines not running well and lousy brakes that I wounder if it is insane to buy a 30 year old 914. I remember doing a lot of repairs with my uncle when his was only a few years old. Sounds like these have been troublesome direct from the factory.

There are several on ebay each week. I hear "side shifter" worked better than the cable. What year and engine combination did that appear on? I've been told that 73 side shifter with 2.0 engine was probably the best of the 4 cycliners. The sixes are out of my price range. I'd like to spend around 3k.

Any thoughts...Thanks Doug
Ferg
My advice for someone on a 3k budget is simply the nicest car you can find, in any year. Myself I would go for rather have a 1.7 or 1.8 car in really nice all around shape, vs. a 2.0 with issues, and with a 3k range you are gonna be hard pressed for a nice 2.0.
Ferg
fuch toy
Bump up your budget to 4200 and I have a 2.0 for mueba.gif sale.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(DougWantsa914 @ Nov 5 2003, 09:22 AM)
There are several on ebay each week. I hear "side shifter" worked better than the cable.

there was no cable shifter model. tail-shifter or side-shifter.
yes, the 73 2.0 with side-shifter is the one everyone wants (besides a original /6). but your $3k won't buy you a nice one unless you're really really lucky.
as said above, take your $3k and look for the best you can get, regardless of year or engine. that way you can enjoy driving it while you start saving money for all the "upgrades" you WILL want to do to the car eventually.
or, bump your budget.

one thing about those cars: they are addictive!
plus, you'll drive with a BIG smile on your face.

Andy << who has about $12k in his car so far and counting ...
Mark Henry
'74's are the best of course! wink.gif
redshift
I like mid-year cars.

I paid $2,500 for my '74 as a roller, no motor, no transaxle, no bumpers.

M
GWN7
I like the 70, 71, 72, 73, & 74 cars and will probably like the 75 & 76 when I add them to the stable at the farm. laugh.gif

Buy the best rust free car you can for the $$ you have. As noted you can pick up 1.7 & 1.8 cars for reasonable $$ and their just as fun to drive. (just a tad slower) Rust is the most important thing to look for when you go shoping, because it is the most expensive thing to fix on a car. If you see a car you like, ask here if there is someone close by that could look at it for you.

Good luck on the hunt.

And welcome to the board mueba.gif
anthony
that I wounder if it is insane to buy a 30 year old 914. I remember doing a lot of repairs with my uncle when his was only a few years old.

Buying a 30 year old car is buying into a hobby. I wouldn't recommend any 30 year old car for a daily driver. Sure, some guys have 914s as their daily drivers but for most people it's not a very practical choice.
Tony
I don't what the smog laws are in your area, but pre 74 or is it 73 don't have to smog here in Cal. So you can modifly the engine with the state looking over your shoulder about smog.
I have a 71 with better looking bumpers.
Queenie
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 5 2003, 12:45 PM)

Buying a 30 year old car is buying into a hobby. I wouldn't recommend any 30 year old car for a daily driver. Sure, some guys have 914s as their daily drivers but for most people it's not a very practical choice.

Some girls do too.

My 914 is my daily driver.
onrails
as is mine!{in the summer} love 2 drive it!
by the way,sirandy was correct.

i have an old "european car" mag, it gives a
run down on why everyone wants the 73'
and explains the differences between all of the years.
good luck & have fun!
AZ914
Welcome!

I happen to have a '75, and while I love the thing, it does have emmission equipment installed (75-76 models). This can be a PITA. Depending on your local laws, this can be no big deal, or become a problem. A lot of 'late' model owners convert their exhaust sustem, take off the cat/air pump/air distribution pipes etc.

The 'late' model cars also have the larger black, shock absorbant bumpers. Most people do not care for these, though I think they look fine with certain colors. Its personal preference. However these bumpers do add some extra weight.

I'd agree with the other members, find the nicest one you can for the money because, you will be putting a lot more into it.

Good Luck! beer.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 5 2003, 12:45 PM)

yup. the 914 is my only car. almost daily driven. always a work in progress. can be a pain in the ass. definitely not practical.

and i couldn't recommend it more.

in fact, it's never left me stranded -- but i imagine that my experience is unique?

re. late model: those bumpers have saved me more than once from uppity palo alto luxury SUV fanatics too busy talking on their cells to make full stops at lights. i'm a believer. smog equipment can be removed, if you're willing to live on the edge... so, in short, buy what you can.
Drums66
Yeah, I drive it every day I can. I'm a fan of the late cars also 75' 76' Just about all the flaws were corrected by then,and yes those bumper's have saved me also- only drag is Cali smog laws. pissoff.gif
Chris H.
I personally like the '70-'76 models. They are a lot of fun. wub.gif

For 3k you will get a pretty good 1.7/1.8L. Feel free to ask someone from the board to help you with a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). Many will do it for free, but even if it costs you it's money well spent, especially if you don't quite know what to look for.

A lot of us have owned a car that was thought to be in good shape and turned out to be rusty or bondoed together.
EdwardBlume
Take your time and learn as much about the cars as you can before you jump in and buy one. Also take into account some amount of disposable income in your future to maintain / modify your car. No one here has regrets about owning a 914, but everyone has felt the pinch of repairs and maintenance.

My only regret about any of my Porsches is that I didn't get into them sooner.... I started up seriously with 914s when I was 28.
Uncle Richy
I drive mine every day.

I've had both a '73 and a '74 and only noticed very minor differences- rear bumper guards and the shape of the interior air vents.
Queenie
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Nov 5 2003, 08:13 PM)
No one here has regrets about owning a 914, but everyone has felt the pinch of repairs and maintenance.

This is particularly true if your 914 is a daily driver. When they're properly set up and maintained they can be very reliable, but regular maintenance isn't cheap unless you're prepared to do all the labor yourself. And even then you end up paying, maybe not in cash but in time and effort and skinned knuckles and sometimes a whole hell of a lot of frustration.

But all things considered? I'd own three of them if I could.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 5 2003, 06:34 PM)
re. late model: those bumpers have saved me more than once from uppity palo alto luxury SUV fanatics too busy talking on their cells to make full stops at lights.

Me too. Those bumpers changed what would have been a costly repair to a mere verbal thrashing of the careless idiot that hit my car.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Nov 5 2003, 08:13 PM)

My only regret about any of my Porsches is that I didn't get into them sooner.

agree.gif
anthony
Some girls do too.

Sorry about forgetting about you gals! You 914 daily drivers get the badge of courage. I love my 914. I drove it almost every day last year but ... I have back up cars and I bought a relative cream puff so I've had to do very little to it. Still I wouldn't have a 30 year old car as my daily driver with no backup. I went that route for 8 years driving a '77 320i - it was a fun car, only broke down twice in 8 years and both times I was able fix it on the side of the road but it was a royal PITA having a car I couldn't rely on 100%.
Doug73/2.0
Thanks everyone for all the advice. This is a tremendous resourse you folks have created for those of us about to take the 914 plunge.

Here are a few additional questions now that I'm getting educated.
Can someone explain the different shift linkages or transmittions. I've seen the word side shifter? were different transmissions available between the 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0?

How is parts availablity for the common stuff likely to go wrong... Brakes, fuel pumps wires etc...? Thanks.

Assuming I find a nice roller..Are there more modern Porche enginines ( or other manufactures engines) that are good candidates?

Thanks for the help. I think I'll end up bumping the budget from the sounds of it.
Cheers and thanks
Doug
Part Pricer
Can someone explain the different shift linkages or transmittions. I've seen the word side shifter? were different transmissions available between the 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0?

Basically, the 914 had only one transmission. (I sure one of the anal assholes around here will be along shortly to correct me and fill you in on the minutia.) The earlier cars had what is referred to as a tail-shift transmission. The later cars had a side-shift. The difference is the length of the shift rod and where it attaches to the tranny. The side-shifter is the one to go for. It is considered to be less-vague.

How is parts availablity for the common stuff likely to go wrong... Brakes, fuel pumps wires etc...?

Most of the stuff is readily available. Although there are exceptions.
Queenie
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 5 2003, 06:34 PM)

in fact, it's never left me stranded -- but i imagine that my experience is unique?

Nope. Mine hasn't let me down yet, and I drive the hell out of it.
tod914
Year isn't as important as condition. Also, keep in mind shipping costs. You might find a real nice one on the left coast, but how are you going to get it back? Search the local papers and the wantadd press. Sometimes you'll come across a nice local car that you might not see on 914 boards. Good luck. Keep in mind it's an old car. No matter how nice it is, it will always need work. Work = parts. Parts = $.
Expect to put in about 20 % of your paying price to get the car sorted when you get it.
EdwardBlume
Assuming I find a nice roller..Are there more modern Porche enginines ( or other manufactures engines) that are good candidates?

No. People go exotic with all kinds of engines (ie 2.2, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, 350 V8) but on on a budget, stick with with the stock motor. Years from now when you cash in your internet company stock options, do the conversion.

How is parts availablity for the common stuff likely to go wrong... Brakes, fuel pumps wires etc...? Thanks.

Most parts are common. Its the price that'll get ya. laugh.gif

Again, be patient and learn as much as you can beforehand. Here's your assignment: read Patrick C Paternie's "How to Restore & Modify You Porsche 914 & 914/6."
Doug73/2.0
Thanks guys, great advice all around.

Rob your idea to buy Patrick Paternie's book "How to Restore Porsche 914" was a nice one. Enjoyed the book. It does make me question my sanity to buy one of these. I'm looking at a local 73 with the 1.7 engine. Owners says its been parked 20 yrs in his garage. This will be intresting but at lewast all your comments and the book have given me a starting point. I didn't think any of tthese survived up here in salt country.

Thanks
Doug :-)
stevend
If your goin to go racing get a 70-71 so the doors and the front and rear lids are lighter. driving.gif

they dont have as much bracing as 73-76 does. if you are giong to put a big 3.2 or v-8 conversion in it i wouldn't worry about! w00t.gif
Anton
QUOTE(DougWantsa914 @ Nov 7 2003, 08:05 AM)
Were different transmissions available between the 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0?

1.7 = tail shifter

1.8 and 2.0 = side shifter
need4speed
Don't steal one of our pristine teeners to salt-and-rust-land.

Instead, just move out West. In ten years, there will be one more rust-free 914 still on the road than there otherwise would be. Don't you think that's more important? w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.