Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cold start injector wires- need help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott-thundercat
Hey so today i replaced all the fuel lines (what a PITA) with new fuel injector hose. anyhow, when i was just about done i noticed a wire coming out of the pass rear cylinder area that ran up to apparently the cold start injector connector. this wire was seperated- but the colors matched. so i spliced em- then when connecting a vacuum line i bumped em and they broke in a different spot- spliced em again- (by spliced i mean i crimped a connector on em), right as i was about to put the connector back on BOTH wires fell out of the connector. super. so now my question is- how do i get the metal connector pieces out of the connector in order to put the wires back in em and which wires go to which side?!?!

ah the questions.

also on my day of fixes i replaced the DESTROYED rubber lines connecting the brake reservoir to the plastic lines... real fun.

also kind fixed my little grill above the engine to not be as ugly.

so i guess barring the stupidity of connector destruction today was productive. just tiring. sometime over the weekend is spark plugs, points and condensor and then adding gas and trying to start it up!

so when i opened the gas cap (it's been sitting for 17 years) there were white crystals on the cap (looks like calite- but doubt it is) - but it still apparently seals decently- didnt hear any gas when i tried to slosh it- what should i do to clean out the tank before adding new gas- and what else would you guys recommend doing before attempting to start it (besides adding oil to the cylinders and trying to rotate the engine by hand to lubricate it- and changing oil...)???

thanks guys.
Dave_Darling
Passenger rear cylinder area? Near the #3 spark plug hole? That's the head temp sensor wire. Absatively poselutely critical to the EFI. Make sure it's connected nicely, or the engine will try to flood out.

--DD
Scott-thundercat
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 19 2006, 11:07 PM) *

Passenger rear cylinder area? Near the #3 spark plug hole? That's the head temp sensor wire. Absatively poselutely critical to the EFI. Make sure it's connected nicely, or the engine will try to flood out.

--DD

i figured it must be a temp sensor as i couldnt see any other function for it. where does it connect to ? looks like it goes to the cold start injector... not sure. headbang.gif
JeffBowlsby
Look for a single white wire coming out of the FI harness near the sensor.
Scott-thundercat
IPB Image

IPB Image

this is what im looking at... can you tell me which wire- i think i know what wire your talking about- but where does it go?

Scott
Bartlett 914
Too hard to tell from what you are showing. One end looks like it is going to the #3 cylinder and would be the CHT sensor. This is needed. If it really goes to the cold start injector, you don't need it. Get a wiring diagram and a meter and measure to the ECU connector.

Sitting 17 years (or was it buried 17 years) laugh.gif

Use a flashlight to better see into the tank. Look for corrosion. There is a filter inside the tank at one of the fuel lines. This could be plugged. replace the fuel filter. Don,t be supprised it the fuel pump no longer works. It has fuel sitting inside the motor. Drain any fuel and use only fresh gas. Change the oil.

Starting this old dirty motor is a risky business. There is a good possibility of rust inside the cylinders and the intake pipes. You need to give a through inspection of the motor before deciding to try and start it. The motor may be fine. But if you start it (or try to start it) you may cause damage from the introduction of dirt or the loosining of rust. Maybe it is dry enough in NV that you are O.K. I cannot tell from here. Lots of luck.
Dave_Darling
It should go into the fuel injection wiring harness--that's the one that has branches that plug into the injectors, the manifold pressure sensor, etc. Hopefully there's a single lone wire sticking out of the harness down near the right-side injectors--that's the wire the CHT should plug into.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.