Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 buildup questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott76
Hello. I'm new to the site and new to 914. I am picking up my 914 "EC026590" engine Saturday. I think it is a 1.8 if I looked up the code correctly.

Now here comes the question that I'm sure everyones tired of answering. I plan to rebuild (BUILDUP) this engine. What is the biggest I can go without cutting the case? I wanted a 2.0 but fell into a 1.8 for a steal. I want this to be my winter project.

I know I want a counter weight crank. I have a VERY heavy right foot when I drive. Please help in guiding me into a direction of rebuilding a bigger engine.

Thank you,
Scott
anthony
You can build a pretty powerful and expensive engine without cutting the case.

What is the budget? I suggest you listen to Jake's (aircooledtechnology.com) radio show from 9/7/2006 on the type IV build-ups on a budget:

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio/

If fact list to all the shows. They are great.

Bleyseng
Welcome!

Ok, a 1.8 is 93mmx66mm stroke so you can go to a 96mm piston for a 1911cc motor.

forget the counterweighted crank as you don't need it in a type4 as they are soo big and heavy ya don't want to add the weight, they rarely break.

FI or Carbs (dual)

Get a RAby cam to match your induction choice with the good lifters to match. There have been lifter problems but Raby has licked it.

You can get in the 90-100 hp range with some work and it will be a rever so the heads need to have good hd valve springs and retainers/keepers.
Mueller
welcome.png

a popular engine size is a 2270 which would be a 78.4 stroke x 96 bore

I'm not sure at which point bigger than a 96 bore that the case needs to be opened up.....

also check out shoptalkforums.com for type IV stuff

Twystd1
Hi Scott,

Why don't you give us an idea of what your "performance" parameters are.

That will give us a much better idea of your options.

FYI.... You can have anywhere between 80HP and 400+ HP.

Just depends on your end result and the amount of money and time you are willing to spend.

Cheers,
Clayton
Scott76
Thank you very much for all the replies. This site is going to be a HUGE help. Like any human there is a budget, BUT time. I plan to have the car on the road in 2-3 years away. I want to build it up slow as I get the money for parts, plus the wife woln't see the money going into this engine.

I plan to have dual carbs. Now, I know its a t4 but can I put p/c in it that are sold for VW's and do they match well? Is there anything special about this engine? I want the most HP that I can get but still have money after. I don't know the budget amount. I saw that p/c has HUGE HUGE range in prices (wow).

I forgot to mention. If I can get it to 2000cc I would be happy. But if I can bolt on anything else to get it bigger I would be more happy. 2000cc is my first goal to reach. I always say bigger is better (engine)!!!
Bleyseng
Most type 1 pistons won't fit due to wrong pin offsets. If you want cheap, look at the AA piston/cylinder kits.

I have done the buy alittle bit here and there myself in the past but the best value is a whole completed engine combo kit from Jake at the type4store.com.

You put it together but it has all the needed parts setup. Save your money and buy it once.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 20 2006, 07:29 AM) *

Most type 1 pistons won't fit due to wrong pin offsets. If you want cheap, look at the AA piston/cylinder kits.

I have done the buy alittle bit here and there myself in the past but the best value is a whole completed engine combo kit from Jake at the type4store.com.

You put it together but it has all the needed parts setup. Save your money and buy it once.

agree.gif Jake builds some bad T-4's, you could do alot worse than one of his kits.

Now on the ...You don't need a counter balanced crank... I don't agree.
Jake Raby
First rule with the Type 4 is that size doesn't mean anything... Its all about efficiency and building the engine smarter... And a counterweighted crank isn't needed in a TIV, all it does is

What I recommend for beginniners with a 1.8 is to make their engine either a 1911, by using their current internals, or switch to 2.0 internals and make the engine a 2056, both these options use the superior 96mm bore.

The main thing you must determine before going further is what means of induction you will be using. If you intend to stay with stock EFI the choices are so limited that they make the build process very dictated and very easy as you are limited to 115HP and 2056cc. If you are willing to get rid of the stock EFI, then the only limitation to power is how far you wallet will open.

Listen to our radio shows, do searches here as well as the Shoptalk Forums.com... I will also have my new forums all about Type 4 engines specifically, open on November 1 as well as a whole bunch of new articles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.