Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT, But hell it has a motor....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I'm looking to buy a motor home in the coming months, but have no knowledge about them. Anyone here have any advice? I think I'm more comfortable with driving a motor home, as opposed to a trailer. I'm thinking about getting something around 20-25', used, priced around $8,000.00 - $10,000.00. Is this realistic for a good one? Suggestions on brands? What to watch out for, etc.etc..??

Thnx
BMartin914
All that California money burning a hole in your pocket there Gramps?

That sounds a little light on the price. My dad has been shopping for a used pop-up trailer and is finding that they are selling surprisingly quickly priced $1000+ over blue book value for around $5-6K. For a motor home, I would expect you to spend maybe double your $8-10K estimate. Just my observation.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Oct 20 2006, 12:11 PM) *

All that California money burning a hole in your pocket there Gramps?

That sounds a little light on the price. My dad has been shopping for a used pop-up trailer and is finding that they are selling surprisingly quickly priced $1000+ over blue book value for around $5-6K. For a motor home, I would expect you to spend maybe double your $8-10K estimate. Just my observation.

No something we have been wanting to do for a couple of years, but I hate driving 6 hours to get away from people in Cal. Here we can drive a couple hours, and be in great shape. I have seen a few on e-bay in that price range that look fair, but since I'm not familar enough with them, I don't know if I'm asking for trouble..
Sonny boy.. biggrin.gif
Ferg
I've had a few of all kinds Class A, Class B, Class C, pro's and con's to all kinds.

What do you plan to use it for??? Big cross country trips, or weekend getaway's in clorado?

8-10k will get you in the door for a decent Class C, (van type front end) or a older Class A, (like neverland) drunk.gif Class B's (camper van) are nice because you can use it as a daily driver, and they are easy to park ect.

Advantage of trailers IMO around colorado is that you can unhook up in the woods and use the truck ect to run into town for supplies ect. Motorhomes you gotta drive the whole campsite with you, not fun with kids dogs ect.

I've never had a pop-up but that's the route i'll be going next year. Xterra will pull it easy, and cheap to maintain and pull.

Ferg
turboman808
I was gonna post the same kinda thing. I am thinking about buying an RV myself. My main question was what is the difference between Class A,B and C?

Which one doesn't require a special license.

I spend alot of time at work now and again and can find myself here over 24 hours at times. SO in many cases I drive home sleep wake up and drive back to work. Plus my tolls are around $500 a month. I would like to have something big enough for me to stretch out but not have a hell of a time getting around.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 20 2006, 12:18 PM) *

I've had a few of all kinds Class A, Class B, Class C, pro's and con's to all kinds.

What do you plan to use it for??? Big cross country trips, or weekend getaway's in clorado?

8-10k will get you in the door for a decent Class C, (van type front end) or a older Class A, (like neverland) drunk.gif Class B's (camper van) are nice because you can use it as a daily driver, and they are easy to park ect.

Advantage of trailers IMO around colorado is that you can unhook up in the woods and use the truck ect to run into town for supplies ect. Motorhomes you gotta drive the whole campsite with you, not fun with kids dogs ect.

I've never had a pop-up but that's the route i'll be going next year. Xterra will pull it easy, and cheap to maintain and pull.

Ferg

Thanks Mike,

Just for weekedn getaways, Colorado. Do you have any idea what the top five are in both motorhomes and trailers?
What models to stay away from?
Bill D
The only motor home you will be able to drive properly is one with a aircooled motor that leaks oil in the back, transaxle, and torsion bars up front.

GMC 1973-1976
grantsfo
VW

IPB Image
IPB Image
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 20 2006, 10:18 AM) *

Ferg

agree.gif
We have a full size trailer, and it's great to be able to unhook and drive the fam around.
Plus, your Armada will make a really nice tow vehicle. I can tell you more about it tomorrow. Also, LV Steve used to sell them, so he can tell you everything about motorhomes on Sunday. But my vote is for a trailer.

AND BUY USED - craigslist has a ton
bernbomb914
I have a 32' class a and it has been in 48 of the fifty states including alaska and if you are going to travel for any distance it is the minamum size because of the bath. any smaller and it is to cramped. 32' will handle well and is easy to get around in tight aeas. and works well when towing.

Bernie
Ferg
For pop ups the Coleman's seem to be the best, they are $ than the others, but from what i've read the one piece body/roof is worth it. No leaks ect.

Motorhome's it comes down to maintence... it's not uncommon to have to put in a new trans at 40k for the big one's. Also tires brakes shocks ect are not cheap, so i'd find the best one you can afford. Another reason IMO to look at trailers.

You should be able to find a nice 20+ foot trailer easy for 8-10k. Also figure min 50bucks a month to store it.

Ferg.
jsteele22

My vote is for Neverland II

Like maybe this ?
Eric_Shea
Some of the new light weight trailers rock. I like the 16' range with the fold out beds (2). The fold out of the front, back or sides now like the pop ups. What's nice about that is, you don't have to drop your table and convert it into a bed. The sleeping quarters are well out of the way and the inside seems much bigger. You can drop the table and there's a fold out couch so you can also add more people. Mike's right... un-hook and forget it. I can tow with the ML320 and a 3.2 six. 16mpg. $15k new.
shelby/914
If you come up for the breakfast Sunday stop over as I live close to Greg. I have a fully selfcontained pickup camper and a 23 or 24 ft trailer that belongs to a friend we can take a look at. chowtime.gif
Eric_Shea
Linkage
orange914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 20 2006, 01:51 PM) *

VW

IPB Image
IPB Image

well.... i guess its somewhat related to the 914 biggrin.gif
vw > porsche > 914

kenny
Dr Evil
Dude, you guys stopped picking on him?

"What are ya gonna use it for?"

"I was thinking about getting something faster for autox!"

C'mon! I read the whole thing and it was informative and to the point. What a let down....wink.gif
GWN7
I have a 28' class A Pace Arrow (twin to Neverland vintage). I bought it after spending a week in a 8' truck camper.

With the camper on the truck and towing the boat I was getting 12 mpg with the truck. I figured for 3 mpg less I would have 20' more space.

The downside is once your at your location, that's it for getting around. If you forget something, your walking unless you pack up everything and go for a drive. Adding dirt bikes is a option.

They are like used cars when buying, but with motor homes it is not uncommon for them to only see 2-3K per year. A lot of people drive them South and park them for the winter and drive them back North when it gets nicer. I haven't used mine except for storage for the last 2 years and it has 60K on it.

When shopping make sure everything works. Have the seller show you how to work everything. Water heater, fridge, drains, winterizing, ect.
That way if the unit has any pecularities that will show when he's demonstrating the operation.

Watch your local papers/ect for what prices run. That way you can determine the market value.

Check for rust, a buddy bought one and took it for a trip and the generator fell out. (guy pulls up and yells "Hey buddy your draging something")

Good luck
GWN7
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Oct 20 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Like maybe this ?

This one looks like a good deal......
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Oct 20 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Like maybe this ?

that's funny jeff. i was just looking at that last night. Brant and I had a long talk about vintage racing, then i thought i would need a new tow vehicle for the race car, so i though MOTORHOME.

Brian,
something tells me your wife isn't going to let you buy a $8-$10k motorhome.
Once you see what $8-10 buys you, she'll have you looking at the $20-30k ones
get a trailer
porschenut
My 76 GMC rocks!
Ferg
Those GMC's are ultra cool and about as collectable as a motorhome gets clap56.gif

I had this for a bit, was by far the wildest machine in my driveway to date... happy11.gif
PanelBilly
Unless you want monster sized tin box parked at your house ready for instant departures, you might be better off to just rent one. We've had two of them in the past and they always have something that needs to be fixed. I had to plan time to make repairs before each trip. Then often when we got to our getaway, I need to pull the tool kit out again.
turboman808
I wasn't looking to get something this old but it kinda caught my eye. Although ugly as sin the interior looks really roomy.

Funky Toyota on Ebay
spare time toys
Look in chooseyouritem.com They have all kinds of campers to class a pusher diesels. I was looking at a used Saffari trek diesel pusher down in Houston. It is $19000 and has a new engine in it. It just isnt the corian counters and all the tip top stuff, but for taking the boys to baseball turneys all summer it is a nice place to go get out of the heat. The goof up I made when I went to look is this. When you walk out on the lot go to the one you are there to see first. I messed up and went into a $750000 one first because it was running and the A/C was going. I should have a house half as nice as this one was. I cooled off and found the one I wanted to look at. What a let down after that first one it was not running so it was hot and smelled like a cat. It was nice but just wasnt the same. Had I looked at it first I probably would have got it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.