Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I installed something wrong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Ok, so. Total newb. at this...

Car on jackstands, engine and tranny installed. CV joints hooked up, car in second gear, spin rear wheel by hand and engine does not turn/move. Rear wheels spin with starter and car in gear, but not when engine is running, idling.

Somethings wrong, right? What'd I do?
drive-ability
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 20 2006, 07:33 PM) *

Ok, so. Total newb. at this...

Car on jackstands, engine and tranny installed. CV joints hooked up, car in second gear, spin rear wheel by hand and engine does not turn/move. Rear wheels spin with starter and car in gear, but not when engine is running, idling.

Somethings wrong, right? What'd I do?

Is the transmission in gear when at idle?
Allan
Make sure that one of the wheels is stationary.

Only lift 1 (one) wheel...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 20 2006, 07:40 PM) *

huh?
confused24.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 20 2006, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 20 2006, 07:40 PM) *

huh?
confused24.gif Andy

Whattya mean? Ya gotta lift one wheel...

Make sure that only one of them is off the ground...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Oct 20 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Whattya mean? Ya gotta lift one wheel...

Make sure that only one of them is off the ground...

Rear wheels spin with starter and car in gear, but not when engine is running, idling.

i don't think it would be a good idea to try that with one wheel on the ground ...
unless you need a second exit in your garage ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Bruce Allert
Might you have adjusted the clutch cable too tight & It's not allowing the clutch to engage fully? It might be barely touching and that's why the wheels spin with the starter only.

I adjusted my first clutch too tight & it slipped big time... like, nothing moved dry.gif

....b
Hammy
Allan - I think you're saying that one rear wheel needs to be on the ground if I want to turn the engine by the other rear wheel, correct?

I had the car in gear at idle.

I haven't even gotten to adjusting the clutch cable at all, it's just hooked up. I don't know if it's too tight or too loose or how to tell, since the car hasn't been driven yet and car is on jackstands.
What about with the clutch cable completely unattached at the tranny, does that mean the clutch will be engaged or disengaged?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 20 2006, 09:59 PM) *

What about with the clutch cable completely unattached at the tranny, does that mean the clutch will be engaged or disengaged?

without the cable, you got the full, mighty clamping force of your clutch ...
and yes, if you want to turn the engine with the wheel, one wheel has to be locked in place (or on the ground).

but don't try to start the engine with one wheel on the ground!
biggrin.gif Andy
Hammy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 20 2006, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 20 2006, 09:59 PM) *

without the cable, you got the full, mighty clamping force of your clutch ...
and yes, if you want to turn the engine with the wheel, one wheel has to be locked in place (or on the ground).

but don't try to start the engine with one wheel on the ground!
biggrin.gif Andy

Ok, with the cable completely off the wheels were not spinning... What'd I do?
Bruce Allert
Forget the flywheel??? tranny not totally seated? Clutch backwards? (don't know if that can happen but just a thought)! Oil got on clutch & flywheel. I did that headbang.gif

...b
Hammy
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Oct 20 2006, 10:26 PM) *

Forget the flywheel??? tranny not totally seated? Clutch backwards? (don't know if that can happen but just a thought)! Oil got on clutch & flywheel. I did that headbang.gif

...b

What do you mean by not totally seated? Could be. I'm pretty sure the tranny is on there right. It's simply just mating the engine and tranny together right? And the starter turns the engine over. The engine came with the clutch and flywheel etc. already on there, I just bolted my tranny up to it...
Looks like I'll have to drop things again...
Hammy
How much free play is the throw out arm supposed to have? Mine moves fairly easily by hand. It can touch the transmission case on the engine side, is that normal? Also has some free play up and down. Could a missing throw out arm bushing be my problem?
bd1308
i bet your clutch plate is backwards, the little nub part that has the splines goes toward the PP, not the flywheel. If you have it backwards it offsets everything.
Hammy
Thanks Britt. And thanks for all the responses.

I guess the only way to know is to drop it and take a look.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times; Can the tranny be dropped seperate of the engine? Am I going to have to remove the exhaust??? sad.gif
type47
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 20 2006, 11:10 PM) *

Can the tranny be dropped seperate of the engine? Am I going to have to remove the exhaust??? sad.gif

yes, you can drop the trans w/o dropping the engine. make sure you support the engine. if the exhaust is of stock style, you do not have to remove the exhaust, muffler probably, not heat exchangers.
Tom
Hammy,
I am keeping it simple because that usually works. You said you are a newb. I read where the clutch was already on the engine and you bolted up the trans ,right. Didn't see anywhere where you mention the throughout bearing OR the pressure plate. If these ( one or both ) were missing , I'm betting you would get the exact same symptoms you are getting. If you don't have a Haynes to see what the engine should look like with the pressure plate installed , go to Pelican web site. Lots of instructional pictures there.
Good luck,
Tom
SLITS
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 20 2006, 11:49 PM) *

i bet your clutch plate is backwards, the little nub part that has the splines goes toward the PP, not the flywheel. If you have it backwards it offsets everything.

If the friction disk is installed bassakwards, the clutch will not disengage as the throwout bearing cannot depress the fingers on the pressure plate.

Rear wheels (if both off the ground) will spin even if transmission is in neutral due to internal friction (pilot bearing, main shaft spinning .....)

If you can't turn engine with one wheel jacked up and car in gear ..

1.) You're not in gear.

2.) The friction plate (driven plate) is missing

3.) The center drive spline has broken out of the friction plate

4.) The throwout bearing is somehow depressing the fingers on the pressure plate causing it to be in the "released" position as you bolted up the tranny.

5.) All the clamping springs in the pressure plate are broken

6.) The pressure plate is missing

Hammy
Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, this is weird.

I checked the other rear wheel (driver's) and it spins with the car in gear... Other side doesn't...
bondo
That's completely normal. It simply means your brakes are dragging a little more on that side. Usually only one side will turn, because once one side starts turning it's eaiser to keep it turning that it is to get the other one to start. (due to inertia, static friction being greater than dynamic, etc) There's a really nifty exhibit at the exploratorium if you want to see it work in action.

How differentials work
Hammy
Scratch that.....I'm an idiot................only one rear wheel spins at idle because the brake venting clearance is probably a little tighter on that wheel...... rev it up and they both spin........
Blonde moment. sad.gif Well, hopefully I can get this clutch adjusted right. Thanks for all the help.
Andyrew
If you have a big problem, give me a call. Im doing homework, but I'll come by and help.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.