Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest look at Zach's car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Wish I could afford to get a 914 for myself, but I'll just have to let Zach's cool rub off on me. At least my ghia will be part 914 in the form of the engine, rear suspension, and transaxle.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
John Kelly
and another...
John Kelly
lastly...
Andyrew
You can work on mine if you want.. wink.gif

Looks good, How did you get to the upper parts of the fender? Like where there isnt as much space from the wheel well?
Special hammer? Would an impact gun and a flat bit work for pounding? cus I have one...

Andrew
John Kelly
Hi Andrew,

I used a very high tech tool called an ugly hammer... I would not use an air hammer with a flat faced tool. You want a spherical shape. A palm nailer with a carriage bolt in it is the way to go.

krk
John,

That shape is graceful, gorgeous and functional. The finished paint job should be quite something!

kim.
Andyrew
Ahh, I need to make me one of those.. (another chance to get out the Mig!!!)

So no air gun? I dont have a nailer, so I guess i'll just use my arm..

smash.gif

Andrew
boxstr
John Come down here ( Lake oswego) and get this 914, Its your's. SOrry no moter or trans.
CCLINFREEISAVERYGOODWORD
John Kelly
Andrew,

A palm nailer is about $100 at Home Depot. If you have a lot of stretching to do (like Zach's) it is the best $100 you will ever spend. I did Zach's rear flares mostly by hand, the fronts mostly with the palm nailer. Probably would have saved me about 25 hours on the rears. You might try turning your air hammer into a planishing hammer to speed up all of the hammer and dolly work, but it is a tricky thing to build and use.

Hi Kim,

Thanks!

Hi Craig,

Wow! thanks but I'm afraid it would take too much time away from my lifetime project...the Ghia. I would get all carried away flaring the 914, put the 2.6 in it and never finish my Ghia! Thanks again for a very kind and generous offer. Besides Carla would roll her eyes if I brought it in the yard. She has put up with my obsession so far. Don't want to rock the boat unnecessarily.

maf914
John,

Thanks for posting the photos and all of your explanatory comments. You do some nice work. I like your Ghia too.

I was curious about the 914 in the photos. Is there a horizontal peak or crest above the front wheel well, or is that just a reflection?

Mike
redshift
It looks like a nod to the GT flares, just on that edge.

I like them very much, and seeing the front (or just what it appears to look like) makes me see another shape I have never imagined..

I like it really round.

I need a month off.

M
John Kelly
Hi Mike,

The front flares are not finished yet. Zach still wants 8" wheels up front so they will be a little wider. The reflection in the picture is a little odd as well. The fender does not look like that in person...more fine tuning to come! The fronts need some more hammer and dolly work to get a smooth curve up and down.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
JmuRiz
Flairs look sweet...now just fill in those side signal holes wub.gif
mike_the_man
WOW!!! I want one. John, are you still working on your video? I would definately be interested in a copy when it's done. I'd love to learn how to do that sort of thing, and I'm thinking the teener could use a paint job in a couple of years. Flaring would make a great winter project.

Keep us updated on the car and the video. I love that look. Much nicer than the GT flares, IMHO.
John Kelly
Hi Nathan,

Zach is going to practice his tig welding taking care of those holes.

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you like the flares. We are still working on the video. Takes forever! I will post when they are available, or you can email me directly at: ghiafab@msn.com to get notification.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
JmuRiz
Sweet, I need to grab myself a welder and get to practicing myself. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.