Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Spec Boxster Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
nine14cats
Let the build begin!

The work crew begins to show up....

McMark, Brad and Randal looking at Randal's clean 944.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Doris cooking breakfast for the crew....

Fritz has dual distributors...Doris has dual frying pans!

Bill P.
nine14cats
SirAndy has arrived!

nine14cats
Dan (Almaden Valley) shows up....

Bill P.
Trekkor
This will be fun to watch.

Have a good build! mueba.gif

KT
grantsfo
Go team go! This will be great!
J P Stein
Good thing there's a couple of young guys there to do the work while the old farts reminiss. laugh.gif
nine14cats
1st update....

Here we go with pics....not alot of verbage...

Enjoy!

Bill P.Click to view attachment
nine14cats
more
nine14cats
more
nine14cats
more...more...more...
nine14cats
asdas
nine14cats
ljkjj
nine14cats
gsdfgsdf
nine14cats
some more...
nine14cats
rety
nine14cats
xcvxvzx
nine14cats
qwerty
nine14cats
;klj
nine14cats
itijgj
nine14cats
It is now 2:24pm PST. We started at 9:00am....

Front suspension and new brakes/rotors in.

Front and Swaybars in.

Car gutted.

One door gutted.

Now starting on the 2nd door, the dash and the rear suspension.

We are shooting for a test drive at 5:30pm to bed the brakes.

Bill P.

Trekkor
great progress clap56.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
FUN!!
Jeroen
making good progress!
keep at it

popcorn[1].gif
So.Cal.914
Parts, parts, parts, does it get any better? Yes.... when it's my car.

To Cool.
grantsfo
Great work guys! This is more fun watching than I thought it would be.
914forme
So you guys kicked my butt today, but it was 1 vs. 5-6-7????? Oh well maybe I need a build team also. Unfortunately, all my friends are into american muscles, and punk. the Punkers can't turn a wrench to save their souls, and the American car guys won't touch my car. Though I have converted one over to BMW M-Power, but thats another story.

Great Job, good luck with the test drive. BTW, I have a parts guard dog also.
sww914
With friends like that, who needs relatives?
DanT
I was there until about 5pm....unfortunately other duties called.

Had a great time Randal and I handled most of the suspension and brake removal/install.

Actually went fairly well....finding the right tools when you needed them was the biggest time user.
Andy, McMark and Brad handled most of the interior/top removal.
It was extremely interesting to see the inner workings of a Boxster up close and personal...

biggrin.gif

now to get Doris comfortable behind the wheel.....time to put on my instructor hat smile.gif
Trekkor
Did it get driven?

KT
914forme
One of three things happened.

1. It got driven, and broke down, 2 miles from home. They all piled in, like a clown car, and are now pushing it back.

2. It never got driven, cause by now they have passed out from all the off gassing from the plastic.

3. It is still being driven like a bunch a kids and their first gokart at christmas time!!!!!

Yeah I am still waiting for the update also.

I have done both 1 and 3, 2 was a bunch of stromberg.gif I made up. Probably due to the paint stripper off gassing, and it being late here in the midwest, which is really , not so mid, and more eastern. But I digress......
DanT
Don't know....either. When I left Randal and Bill had gone to the machine shop to have a couple of colars for the PSS9s machined to fit the smaller diameter heavier springs on the rear suspension....

Once they got those done it should have been a pretty easy reassemble of the rear suspension and brakes....everything was ready.
I am sure they got busy trying to finish things up and just haven't had time to post.

Even with the full gutting of the interior and the dash...the motor still started and ran, so I don't think they should have been having a problem with electrical... dry.gif

I am sure either Bill or Brad will post once they get a chance...
nine14cats
Here's a few more pics of what we have done so far....

Bill P.
nine14cats
and ....
nine14cats
Ira from Tarett Engineering really has nice stuff...

Check out the rear AR bar and toe link...a twist of the wrench to re-adjust from track to AX settings...

Beautiful!

Bill P.
nine14cats
and more pics of the carnage..

nine14cats
and just a few more of the exterior...
nine14cats
And now for the not so hot news....

I screwed up in my undertanding of what was needed from the race shop in LA that I bought a few of the trick suspension parts from. It appears we needed to leave out the tender springs on the car....it's a beautiful Boxster 4X4!

So....

Today we get to R&R the springs ONE MORE TIME!

Here's the pics of the rear and front suspension where you can see that the tender springs combined with the very stiff Eibach's leave little room for adjustment in ride height.

Bill P.
SirAndy
bill, you left out the most important part! biggrin.gif

we already *DROVE* the car around the block last night, 11:30ish ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
nebreitling
unbelievable work, gentlemen...
nine14cats
Spec Boxster build is DONE @ 1:30pm Sunday!

We've been busting the car around the back streets....all I can say is.....WOW!

The car looks good and the handling is neutral. Brad remembered talking recently to a Porsche technician who had come up with a way to access the struts without taking the entire suspension assembly apart. We were able to have the fronts swapped in a little over an hour and the whole car swapped in 3 hours. It took fiddling with the ride height to get it dialed in for about another hour or so, but after that it was back together.

All I can say is:

THANK YOU to the Spec Boxster build team:

McMark
SirAndy
Brad
Dan (Almaden Valley)
Randal
Special Guest Ken J. from the Boxster Racing Board (unofficial photographer)

Pics to follow.....

Bill P.

P.S. This was an amazing learning experience. The adjustability of the components allows for some pretty sophisticated setups if we choose to do so. The amount of work done from 9am Saturday through 1:30pm Sunday was fantastic. This would have been a very long car build at a race shop. We did it in 28 hours.

nine14cats
Meet "Lucille"....

The 914Club's red-headed step child (she's mid-engined!)

Bill P.
nine14cats
Brad gives the thumbs up! clap56.gif

nine14cats
Can you say....."negative camber"..... beer.gif

nine14cats
Interior pic...
nine14cats
Next up I drop the car with Tony at TCDesign tomorrow morning for a custom cage. We pick up Lucille on Thursday evening.

Friday (10/27) she gets the windshield installed and a 4 wheel alignment.

Friday night (10/27) I assemble the racing harnesses and re-install the dash.

Saturday (10/28) we take out Lucille to her maiden AX at GGR#9 at Alameda.

450lbs springs in the Front and 500 springs in the back. Front and rear adjustable swaybars. Bilstein PSS9's. Adjustable rear tow links.

We will be playing with the setups at the AX.

Bill P.
McMark
What an awesome time! Thanks for your hospitality Bill. I had so much fun and learned a ton. Hmmmm..... idea.gif Boxsters are pretty fun. happy11.gif
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 22 2006, 03:45 PM) *

What an awesome time! Thanks for your hospitality Bill. I had so much fun and learned a ton. Hmmmm..... idea.gif Boxsters are pretty fun. happy11.gif

Thanks again Bill for giving us a place to get really dirty.

That little car really HANDLES now and it doesn't even have a cage.

Should be fun.

Randal
DanT
Glad to see you guys were able to get the rest of things completed.
I am looking forward to seeing the car in action next weekend.

Bill, is Doris coming along for a little seat time, or are you and Randal going to do some tweaking first?

Had a great time yesterday with you all.

Brad it was nice to touch bases with you again.

Mark and Andy it was nice meeting you both and working with you.

Mark swings a nasty plasma cutter smile.gif

And Andy loves to take things apart biggrin.gif

And Randal.....well Randal spent a lot of time on his back............under the car getting really dirty. huh.gif biggrin.gif

In all seriousness...this was an interesting weekend. It was great working with all of you....

And Bill, thanks for supplying all those expensive parts for us to play with biggrin.gif

Brad Roberts
I am beat up from the feet up!!

Plane leaves SJ 8:20. I'll post more tonight if I dont pass out from the airport to my place in SD.

This weekend reminded me why I enjoyed working with Andy and Mark so much in the past on 914's. clap56.gif Andy loves the electrical and "instricate" things of cars and Mark enjoys cutting/fabbing.

I had a blast! I'm really glad we had the team we did.

Special thanks to Randal for putting up with me!! I ride him like a cheap pony and he just keeps coming back for more (and believing in me) I like him a lot. Very smart person!

Dan, it was a pleasure working with you also!! I have some "better" tricks up my sleave when it comes to suspension (Bill eluded to it) It took me reading one line of the factory manuels to understand why we fought the front and rear shocks!! One bolt held us up smile.gif I didnt make the mistake on Sunday.

WOW Bill!! How about that? Have you seen that many wrenches flying in awhile?

I may ask you to "recommend" me to others when they think they are going to build a Boxster Spec car!!

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.