Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should be done about small rust bubbles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhopkins
On a few places on my '76 tweener there are little tiny rust bubbles. Should I leave them alone or open them up and treat them with anti-rust paint?

Don
-----------------------------------------
1969 911S
1976 914 2.0
1981 911SC
Katmanken
Rust never sleeps so don't leave them alone.

Bubbles means bad. You can't just puncture a rust bubble like a zit and put a little protective paint in there.

Usually means a lot more is lurking under the paint and a lot of work.

Ken
So.Cal.914
You can use a dremel or mini grinder and grind it down until rust is gone. If

it goes all the way thru the metal, if small enough, you can weld a small bead

in the hole and grind that down. Or plug with lead but I would weld it .
G e o r g e
nothing, just think about them as textured paint happy11.gif

but if it was my car i would listen to the first 2 post beerchug.gif
highways
My 'little bubbles' became the size of oranges or watermelons. Once begining to clean I'd see more metal getting infected. Some areas it would even look like you could stop wire brushing- but I'd suspect more in certain directions (even under perfectly good looking paint) so I'd give it a go, and low and behold..... [insert rust gremlin smiley].

So I would wirebrush, metal etch, water rinse, acetone dry, and zero rust paint. I think I got it under control now. Took about 1/2 of each trunk down to bare metal, as well as entire floorpans, firewall, ect.
JPB
Rust bubbles, you lucky bastard!! I hope the paint lasted you about five years like a new car and that its time for another one. If not sad.gif I sorry, you lucky bastard. Lucky? Hell ya because it gives you time to invest in stuff like ahhhhh, side grinder and cutoof wheels, drill and rivet gun, body filler not "bondo", and huge new fiberglass parts like fenders, lids, bumpers, door skins ect.....

beer.gif All the other spots that are covered by the body is Por-15 zonage. That rust my friend is a blessing so now chop chop at will! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
Katmanken
There is a reason I will buy an old car with crappy oxidized worn out paint before buying one with shiny new paint.

Crappy paint shows exactly what needs to be fixed.

Seen too many people in Florida buy shiny new painted old cars and have rust pop up a year later.

Paint it once, not twice.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.