Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need opinions on price
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jzp
I'm looking at buying a 72 914/6 GT and I need some opinions on a good price. It is one of the models that had the GT package installed as a dealer option. It has a certificate of authenticity from Porsche. Any ideas on a good price for this car?
Thanks in advance.
Twystd1
This is the best place on the planet to ask these questions.

The Pro's will show up shortly to help you along.

Do you have a VIN?

Condition?

Do you have ANY history of the car?

Stock engine?

Rust factor?

Give us the scoop!!!

And most of all......

welcome.png

Regards,
Clayton
jzp
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 22 2006, 01:03 AM) *

This is the best place on the planet to ask these questions.

The Pro's will show up shortly to help you along.

Do you have a VIN?

Condition?

Do you have ANY history of the car?

Stock engine?

Rust factor?

Give us the scoop!!!

And most of all......

welcome.png

Regards,
Clayton

Clayton,
The VIN is 9142430091. I don't know any of the history, except that it has been in a garage in California for the past twenty years. I've been told the engine and transmission are original to the car. I didn't see any rust on it. The problem with the car is that it looks like a Miami Vice fan once owned it. The car has been painted white, including targa top and wheels. The original color was silver, according to Porsche. Also, it has an aftermarket console, bumpers, and mirrors, and wider wheels(fuchs 8's & 9's). I plan to restore the color to the original color, and I have a donor car with the correct console, bumpers and mirrors. I'll have to trade for the wheels, but my friend who told me about the car says that shouldn't be a problem. He told me the car would be worth $100k when it is restored, but I wanted to get a second opinion. The guy is asking $50k for the car. I'm a little wary of this price and value because I can't find any values for the car.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Josh
JPB
50K? Post a pic just for schmits and giggles please.

popcorn[1].gif This is gonna be a sweet post welcome.png and expect bookoo hits.
GWN7
There is another thread about what is a GT car that should make interesting reading for you. I can't remember the thread name , but it was up in the last month.

*Edit found it: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...60&hl=Glenn

This thread should be of interest also: http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146_gt_vintage_racing_photos

Also:
http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/car/car.html

And welcome to the club
Joe Bob
50K....100K...... w00t.gif

Maybe in 10-20 years....not now and in the condition you describe.
gms
9142430091 is NOT a factory GT or M471.
This could be a dealer converted car, what is important is that it has the right parts.
If you have pictures of the inside of the front hood & rear deck lid you should post them and I can tell you if they might be real. Also pictures of the oil cooler in the front trunk, interior door panels and seats would be helpful.

If the car all the right parts it is worth $50K.
TJB/914
JZP (Josh)

I am surprised with the light response.

1972 914-6's are rare & none were imported into the USA. My advise it to hire an expert like Glen Stazak or ??? before spending $50K. Take them with you to inspect and advise before purchasing If the owner does not want to cooperate, run away. As Glen said in the above post, it could be worth the money if everything checks out. It's a rare piece of Porsche history. Proceed with caution!!

Remember: Money talks & Bullshit walks. Not many people waiting in line to pay this kind of money. Be willing to make an offer & walk if necessary.

Tom

boxstr
Josh It would be very beneficial to have a few pics of the car. Shoot one of the vin tag and some of the critical areas. Is the car currently near you or still in Calif.?
We have experts standing by, all across this great nation, waiting to assist you in your moment of need.
CCL
JPB
Everyone is in denial of this claim. You need to post some pics and they will help you spend your money in the best place.

beerchug.gif At the beer joints!!!!!!!
jzp
Here are some pictures that I took yesterday. More to follow in another posting.
Josh
jzp
Here are some pictures that I took yesterday. I tried to get a picture of the VIN plate, but it wouldn't work because the flash reflected too much.
Josh

bottomend
...uh, creepy.
gms
I remember that car, it was on craigslist in July.
It has 916 bumpers, NON-standard interior, custom oil cooler (infront), standard engine lid. The hood and rear trunk lid look standard (no balsa wood).
Someone probably spent some money pimping this ride, but IMHO they didn't spend it on the right stuff. NO WAY 50K
914-8
Other than the flares, which lots of 914s have, is there a single GT part visible on that car?!?
jd74914
I don't see one . . . even the seat which looks kinda like one isn't because it has the high back.
Bleyseng
Is that car from "Pimp my ride?"

worth about $13000 at most IMHO as it will take a ton of money to restore it to halfway close to a 914/6. To GT specs ALOT of money.

its just a VIN number and a Cardex.....
TINCAN914
Don't knock my ride Yo....
$50k, $100k, sorry but nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.... Shame they had to go and ruinn the car.
boxstr
Any idea why the ID plate on the drivers side door pillar. Visible in the pic of the drivers seat.
CCL
TJB/914
Josh,

Your getting great advise on this car. Slow down & don't get emotional about buying.

I just did a quick (mental) parts total & I am thinking it needs $25K in GT parts alone plus labor to make it legit. Remember, their will be lots of surprises once you get into a car like this. Do an estimate (parts & labor) before offering a fair market price. It looks to be a great find if you buy right. I am thinking, what I see it's a $15K car that has potential. Bleyseng is right on the mark along with Stanzek & Bxstr. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
Bleyseng
15K if its NOT RUSTY! Its a non running 914/6 witha cardex for a dealer installed GT flares it seems unless you can post a pic of hte cardex to show otherwise.

Tons of money and time will need to be spend on this car/engine.....to restore it again to decent 914/6 stockish standard as its not a "GT" in the since of a "real" GT with 908 brakes, pull operated headlites etc..... which is what is worth the $50k price.

A local fairly low mile completely stock six sold here in Seattle last year+ for 16K and it was running really well. Wish I had the cash for it dry.gif
jzp
Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I'm going to pass on this car. I was going to trade a $40k military Humvee and some cash for it, but it looks like it isn't worth it. I'm glad I checked here first.
I have a line on a normal 914 that I can get for free, so maybe I'll do that as a project.
Thanks again,
Josh
Ferg
Are we even sure this is a "real" six? key's not on the dash...

Ferg
Mueller
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 23 2006, 10:55 AM) *

Are we even sure this is a "real" six? key's not on the dash...

Ferg

'72 /6's had the /4 ignition setup.... Dave Darling as well as I and those that went to the 1st WCC in Reno saw an original '72 /6 in the shop that held the tech session.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.