Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus engine vs 914 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daveward
For the record, it seems odd that "bus" returns no search results...especially since I was just reading a 'friendly' debate on the merits of using bus heads.

Anyway, on to the question: I will likely end up with two engines needing rebuilds. Which would be the best to start with...assuming the end result will be a torquey, street 2-2.2 liters for a near-stock 914.

1. Bone tired, bone stock '74 1.8, from a 914
2. Bone stock, said to be rebuilt once, '79 2. 0 "GE" engine from a bus

Thanks for your help. Dave
bd1308
hide.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(daveward @ Oct 22 2006, 09:55 AM) *

For the record, it seems odd that "bus" returns no search results...especially since I was just reading a 'friendly' debate on the merits of using bus heads.

Anyway, on to the question: I will likely end up with two engines needing rebuilds. Which would be the best to start with...assuming the end result will be a torquey, street 2-2.2 liters for a near-stock 914.

1. Bone tired, bone stock '74 1.8, from a 914
2. Bone stock, said to be rebuilt once, '79 2. 0 "GE" engine from a bus

Thanks for your help. Dave

use the 1.8l case and heads for the rebuild. Use the 71mm crank and rods for the rebuild sooo...you can build a 2056 motor using these parts after they are properly reconditioned.

The 1.8l heads are a good start with decent valve sizes 41x34

What are you using for induction? Duals carb, Ljet FI??

Get your cam/lifters from Jake Raby or heck buy a engine kit from him instead of buying the wrong parts elsewhere.
JPB
The difference is the depth of the pile my friend the depth of the pile. biggrin.gif
Leo Imperial
Good advice. Rebuild the 1.8 914 heads then post the pictures here so they can be called bus heads.
bd1308
apparently nobody makes mistakes anymore.
davep
You need at least 4 characters to search with. sad.gif

agree.gif with the 1.8 case & heads plus the 2.0 crank & rods.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 23 2006, 08:47 AM) *

Good advice. Rebuild the 1.8 914 heads then post the pictures here so they can be called bus heads.

1.8L 914 heads look the same as 1.8L bus heads sooo confused24.gif

still a on the cheap motor would be using the 1.8 heads rebuilt by say Adrian, 2.0L internals on the 1.8 914 case. Decent hp and on the cheap motor.

run a good cam/lifter combo!!
as a bad cam combo will kill any engine

headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.