Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stationary turbines in carbs throats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
if one was to put a stationary bladed turbine in the throat of a carb would this improve the mixing of the gas and air????

HeloMech
Step away from the infomercials... put the remote down and just back away while you still can.
JPB
Not good for anything BUT if you get a sticker with it I'll give you$10 for the sticker.

beer.gif First dibs behotches.
Brando
Bladed turbine... Like a supercharger? Or a Turbocharger? Those two will for sure give you an HP boost...
spare time toys
If a turbine is stationary it is not making power. My guess is it is just one of those cheap tin things that are suposed to get the mixture spinning so it mixes better. A turbine has stages of rotors (fans) that move and stators that dont. Quick and easy the more stages the more compression to get the needed power.
Aaron Cox
you have seen too many "tornado" commercials
pete-stevers
actually i don't watch any tv.....none
it was gregs idea...i will blame it on him....( i think he heard of it somewhere)
we welded up a make-shift bladed fan like thing to mount in the intake....
it did nothing much more than make a bit of noise....
but i always wondered if it in theory would improve mixing if mounted on th e intake of a carb ?
but if the blades where to big it would cost power....
Jake Raby
In the proper position it could impact mixture quality, but it would need to be below the fuel discharge in the carb..
Sammy
No, It will not improve flow. It will decrease flow. It will impede the ability for the carburetor to properly mix and meter the fuel and air.
It is a bad idea.

Every major auto maker spends millions and millions on intake manifold testing and development. Not one of them I know of uses a vortex generator anything like the one you describe.
Same with race engine builders. The only thing that concept is good for is selling crap on TV.
pfierb
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 22 2006, 04:24 PM) *

No, It will not improve flow. It will decrease flow. It will impede the ability for the carburetor to properly mix and meter the fuel and air.
It is a bad idea.

Every major auto maker spends millions and millions on intake manifold testing and development. Not one of them I know of uses a vortex generator anything like the one you describe.
Same with race engine builders. The only thing that concept is good for is selling crap on TV.

I guess your last sentence hits the nail on the head.....You couldn't be more succinct.
SGB
Yep. Even those Weber guys sit around around and drink beer and come up ideas too. I'm sure they have tried out anything that seemed plausible.
maf914
One day I was watching an episode of Two Guys Garage. At the end of their show they usually pitch a few new auto accessory products. This episode they pitched the Tornado Vortex Generators. Huh? I thought these guys were somewhat legitimate. Makes me wonder. dry.gif
fin
Isn't a 'stationary turbine' a stator?

Been a while since I had to think about turbine stages.

Cheers,

Fin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.