Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JThw8
Greetings. Newb here.
Ok, so Im a car-a-holic. Specializing in, but not limited to Aircooled VWs and italian nightmares (fiat, lancia, alfa)
I do alot of autocrossing and generally enjoy the build more than the drive so once I finish setup on a car its usually time to start something new.

Thus when I completed my latest project, Yugo (dont laugh, it was better than expected and with my co driver running it took EPrepared 2 years in a row locally)
IPB Image
I sold it and started the hunt for a new project. I wanted to go aircooled again and happened across a 73 914 locally. Pretty clean little car for the northeast. 1.7 runs well but it needs a repaint terribly (not an issue since I do my own paint) and some other tweaks.

Unlike past projects I dont intend to butcher this one, I do respect the little 914 and would like to keep it as original as I can with some minor performance upgrades.

Sadly the FI was removed long ago and it has a single weber progressive on it for now. I would like to at least go to duals sometime down the road.

Another local car club member has also given me a nice deal on a "garage cleanout" of all his old 914 parts. In that package is a new, unused, 2.0 counterbalanced crank, rods and bearings. A spare 1.7 case and rotating assembly, and a set of 76 2.0 heads.

Obviously I would like to put together a 2.0 on a budget (sorry, tight budgets around here) So Im going to be looking for the best way to utilize those parts down the road. I've researched enough to realize I will need to get a decent cam to work with the carbs too.

I will be looking for all the advice I can get but for now I just want to say hello and I will try not to bombard the boards with questions until I do some research first.

Jim
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(JThw8 @ Oct 22 2006, 09:09 PM) *

Greetings. Newb here.
Ok, so Im a car-a-holic. Specializing in, but not limited to Aircooled VWs and italian nightmares (fiat, lancia, alfa)
I do alot of autocrossing and generally enjoy the build more than the drive so once I finish setup on a car its usually time to start something new.

Thus when I completed my latest project, Yugo (dont laugh, it was better than expected and with my co driver running it took EPrepared 2 years in a row locally)
IPB Image
I sold it and started the hunt for a new project. I wanted to go aircooled again and happened across a 73 914 locally. Pretty clean little car for the northeast. 1.7 runs well but it needs a repaint terribly (not an issue since I do my own paint) and some other tweaks.

Unlike past projects I dont intend to butcher this one, I do respect the little 914 and would like to keep it as original as I can with some minor performance upgrades.

Sadly the FI was removed long ago and it has a single weber progressive on it for now. I would like to at least go to duals sometime down the road.

Another local car club member has also given me a nice deal on a "garage cleanout" of all his old 914 parts. In that package is a new, unused, 2.0 counterbalanced crank, rods and bearings. A spare 1.7 case and rotating assembly, and a set of 76 2.0 heads.

Obviously I would like to put together a 2.0 on a budget (sorry, tight budgets around here) So Im going to be looking for the best way to utilize those parts down the road. I've researched enough to realize I will need to get a decent cam to work with the carbs too.

I will be looking for all the advice I can get but for now I just want to say hello and I will try not to bombard the boards with questions until I do some research first.

Jim

Jim, welcome.png
Bombard away friend! Anything that can be done to preserve another 914 is appreciated. I'm a little partial, being a certified CW, but make it what you want & enjoy it! IMO - ditch the carbs ASAP!
I'd lok for a a 2.0 case & go from there. You have lotsa parts.
Pat
JThw8
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 22 2006, 10:01 PM) *

Bombard away friend! Anything that can be done to preserve another 914 is appreciated. I'm a little partial, being a certified CW, but make it what you want & enjoy it! IMO - ditch the carbs ASAP!
I'd lok for a a 2.0 case & go from there. You have lotsa parts.
Pat

FI would definitely be a preference for me too, having worked on alot of VWs I understand the old Bosch systems and I like them. But everything is gone from the car and finding all the retrofit parts will probably be cost prohibitive, but Im certianly not ruling it out if I can find everything I need.

Ok, first dumb question, why find a 2.0 case? I may be misinformed but one of the locals told me I could use the 2.0 rotating assembly in the 1.7 case. I definitely want to make sure I do it right, even trying to keep the budget down this is not going to be a cheap proposition so I want to make sure its right the first time. Please educate me smile.gif
bd1308
no difference in the cases, except the W series case did not have a windage tray for the oil to flow through, which was designed to give oil some time to settle down and maybe even cool down a tiny bit. I heard it also lessened the chance of bubbles forming.
JThw8
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 22 2006, 10:10 PM) *

no difference in the cases, except the W series case did not have a windage tray for the oil to flow through, which was designed to give oil some time to settle down and maybe even cool down a tiny bit. I heard it also lessened the chance of bubbles forming.

Thanks, that helps clear it up.
Ok, since we are on the topic, assuming I used the 1.7 case and 2.0 rotating assembly, 2 questions. What size P&C do I need to use? Do I need to have the case/heads machined for the P&C? And should I use the 76 2.0 heads? Lastly If memory serves the exhaust manifolds/heat exchangers from my 1.7 wont work with the 2.0 heads correct?

I guess Im looking for suggestions. Based on the parts on hand (counterbalanced 2.0 rotating assembly, 1.7 case, 76 2.0 heads and everything still on my stock 73 1.7 motor) what would you assemble?

Pat Garvey
Check out Ebay for a .7 complete injection system. Theyre there every week ot 2 & are usually cheap, because no demand. Get it running & usable first. Then figure out where you want to go
bd1308
the cylinders are a drop-in fit.

use stock 2.0 stuff and you should be set, assuming you have 2.0 heads.
JThw8
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 22 2006, 10:17 PM) *

Check out Ebay for a .7 complete injection system. Theyre there every week ot 2 & are usually cheap, because no demand. Get it running & usable first. Then figure out where you want to go

Thanks I will definitely look for that. There is a setup on there now but the guy is selling it piece by peice.

The car is actually running quite well right now, even on the single weber so its not a rush, but I know to get the max benefit out of it, especially if I upgrade the engine then its dual carbs at a minimum and FI as the preference.

First I will address the bodywork (needs one new jack point installed and a small hole in the floor patched) and repaint. Im going to pull the engine for the repaint so if nothing else It will get a good cleaning and going through.
nycchef
rmital has a 1.7 w/ fi he is parting out. local in nj too. welcome to the insanity.
So.Cal.914
Some of us run the FI and some of us use carbs. I use duel IDF's, a 1.7 case

(no machining required) 2.0 counter balanced crank and rods. You could go

with 96mm P & C"s and no work nesessary on the 2.0 heads to fit. A cam, lifters

and carbs and your ready to rock. The HE's will work on any engine but what

ever kind you use you will need the hanger and muffler for that type.

What did I miss? Ah welcome to the club.
bottomend
It took real guts to post that pic as your first time here. you rock.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(bottomend @ Oct 22 2006, 11:50 PM) *

It took real guts to post that pic as your first time here. you rock.

No doubt, the worlds biggest POS but that one looks OK which puts it in the

fertiliser catagory. And thats a complement, i've never even considered putting a

Yugo in any other catagory but the Sh!t catagory. I even Capitolized Yugo.
bd1308
That's a clean car in my opinion. congrats
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.