Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolts or lugs for Western Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
wheel lug conversions

I'm getting pretty close to the right wheel bolt (finally- #4315 is for old style mags) for the Westerns I bought a year ago. But I don't want to change to whell lugs. Can I locktight the nuts onto these wheel lugs and use 'em as Bolts? I realize that I would have to ensure the lug didn't bottom out before the wheel was adequately torqued, but is there any other reason it would not be good to screw these in and out of the hub?
Joe Bob
If you are talking about screw in studs, then using nuts on top of that....there was an interesting thread on this involving Trekkor.....

link
SGB
Thanks-
gotta do some thinking now...
SGB
Well, I don't know how I missed those enthusiastic discussions....
My read was that there was SOME indecision about the viability of the screw in studs to be strong enough, but that if a quality manufacturor (BBS or apparently Stasis) is used, there is some confidence that the studs wont fail. I still have my original question, though. At the end of the day (at the end of that 8 page thread), the right screw in studs have been nominally OK'd, if using the RIGHT LUG (ball or cone- or for my situation- washer and stepped nut). What do y'all think, for occaisional AX only, to get the correct, weird mag wheel lugs welded to the stud so that it would act as a wheel bolt- is it SUICIDE (or only rock and roll)?
Joe Bob
Fuck if I know....I just hate having to mount a tire w/o studs to hang the damn thing....
Mueller
why not correctly mount the studs and use the nut like a nut???

SGB
that may be the logical approach, hence my resistance.... smile.gif
DanT
Here I will start the fuss all over again.

I use BBS screw in studs....because I use a 1/2" spacer in the rear and 3/4" spacer in front on each side of the car. Along with the screw in studs I use a steel ball seat lug nut.
I AX my car on a regular basis and it sees track duties anywhere from 5-10 times per year.

Of course I used longer screw in studs because of my spacers.

Now I installed them using loctite (red) and torqued them to ~100-105 ft/lbs.

Since doing this I have had the wheels off and on several times. The studs have not moved (I marked them during install so I could monitor them).

The studs I used are used by many BMW racer/track cars, so I feel pretty confident in their strength and durability. Plus I don't think BBS would put out a poor product.

If you check the studs for engagement and torque when you remove the wheels each time you should have no problems with them...

Make sure you use a good quality stud no matter if it is press in or screw in...

There now, that didn't hurt a bit, did it. smile.gif blink.gif
JPB
agree.gif Studs in tight and glued and rim installation is a snap.
SGB
thanks fellers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.