Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My floorpans are DONE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick_Eberle
As of today, I am putting parts BACK ON the car!

The beginning... with apologies to anyone who ever rode in my passenger seat!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The backyard press-shop...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Cutting & Welding - my first ever welding job!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Rick_Eberle
And today...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Time for a cold beer!
So.Cal.914
Nice Job.. clap56.gif
bd1308
i didnt get all fancy with the pleats and such.

:/

yours looks awesome.
McMark
Really nice job! clap.gif
Way to make your own patch panels. thumb3d.gif
GaroldShaffer
welder.gif clap56.gif thumb3d.gif beer3.gif
maf914
Nice job! That may be your first welding job, but you did well. Plus it looks like you know something about metal work as well, with your press formed metal patches. Good detail work. thumb3d.gif
Spoke
Great work. I like the press you made. Would you please show more pics of the forms and how you made the impressions?

Spoke
tdgray
Well Done thumb3d.gif
brant
very nice work!
Aaron Cox
i really like the ridges on the patch work! gives it strength like stock! way to make you own panels!!!!!

nice job rick.. nice job!
Rick_Eberle
Thanks, guys! My car needs to get an Engineer's Certificate to get registered, so I figured that once the sound deadening is brushed on from underneath, the repairs will be less obvious. I can't get a straight answer on how strict these guys are, so better to do it right the first time.

The form was made from 40x3mm steel bar, with backing ribs of 13x3mm. The 13x3mm is also used to press the rib in, backed by another piece of 40x3mm. The slot in the form is about 24mm wide.

My house came with a huge old Blacksmith's vice, but any big vice, or shop press should do the job.

The steel for the patches is 1.6mm, all offcuts from a local metal supplier, for a grand total of about $8.00. (The form itself cost about $20)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And then it's all held together with masking tape, vice grips, whatever you have.
Click to view attachment
Any final tweaking is by BFH.
JPB
Wow, nice work and good mechanical skills. I like your press and it would make some good louvers with a different size jaw and jig smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.