Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead End Hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I was replacing the front-trunk springs with gas shocks a few weeks ago and discovered a hose running from behind the gas tank that just dead ends to nowhere. dry.gif Can somebody tell me what its for? The second pic shows where the hose is strapped down, behind the gas tank. She's a '74 2.0.

Thanks!

Lavanaut
Numero dos.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Would it be safe to assume that the overflow tube connected to the tray by the gas filler neck is attached? idea.gif
Mike D.
the small dia hose is for the gas recerc to the charcoal canister, yours might be gone.
JPB
Molotov cocktail hose bro and where you put the wick. biggrin.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 23 2006, 04:22 PM) *

the small dia hose is for the gas recerc to the charcoal canister, yours might be gone.

My charcoal canister might be gone? Where would I look? And if you've got a moment or two to explain, what's it for? smile.gif I did a search on the forum and found lots of mentions of it, but no description of where and what for.

**** EDIT ****
My Clymer manual doesn't mention it anywhere that I can see, either.

thanks
1970 Neun vierzehn
Lava,
Check out the "nailed" front trunks, '72-'74 portion of the Concours Forum and see if your front trunk looks like any of those pictured. My '70 doesn't have a canister, but I know later models did. The charcoal canisters that I've seen have been located just to the left of the brake fluid reservoir(if your standing in front of the car, looking in the trunk).
ClayPerrine
The car is a 74. That means that the charcoal canister was moved to the engine compartment. That hose should connect to the expansion chamber that surrounds the fuel tank filler neck. The other end connects to a plastic line that runs down the tunnel and comes up next to the battery tray like the fuel lines. Then it hooks to another small vacuum line and that hooks to the charcoal canister.

Some 74s had the canister on the battery tray, and some were mounted to the rear trunk pan, depending on build date.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 25 2006, 02:48 PM) *

The car is a 74. That means that the charcoal canister was moved to the engine compartment. That hose should connect to the expansion chamber that surrounds the fuel tank filler neck. The other end connects to a plastic line that runs down the tunnel and comes up next to the battery tray like the fuel lines. Then it hooks to another small vacuum line and that hooks to the charcoal canister.

Some 74s had the canister on the battery tray, and some were mounted to the rear trunk pan, depending on build date.

All that makes me glad I don't have to fool with that plumbing. blink.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 25 2006, 03:48 PM) *

The car is a 74. That means that the charcoal canister was moved to the engine compartment.

That is not completely true. Many 74s (particularly early ones) had the cannister above the fuel tank, just like the 70-73 cars did. Mine does, for example.

--DD
1970 Neun vierzehn
Dave,
My 1970 4 cyl never came with a charcoal cannister. Perhaps that's yet another "running change" that the factory made, or perhaps something that only Ca cars got initially. confused24.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 25 2006, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 25 2006, 03:48 PM) *

The car is a 74. That means that the charcoal canister was moved to the engine compartment.

That is not completely true. Many 74s (particularly early ones) had the cannister above the fuel tank, just like the 70-73 cars did. Mine does, for example.

--DD

agree.gif The last 5 #s on my '74 VIN are 00700 and my canister is above the fuel tank.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 26 2006, 06:59 AM) *

agree.gif The last 5 #s on my '74 VIN are 00700 and my canister is above the fuel tank.

Good to know. Soooooooo....what's a charcoal canister look like? I'd really like to get this stray hose hooked up properly, but I can't seem to find any pics of it installed. <hint, hint> w00t.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 25 2006, 02:32 PM) *

Lava,
Check out the "nailed" front trunks, '72-'74 portion of the Concours Forum and see if your front trunk looks like any of those pictured. My '70 doesn't have a canister, but I know later models did. The charcoal canisters that I've seen have been located just to the left of the brake fluid reservoir(if your standing in front of the car, looking in the trunk).

Lava,
The concours forum is really a handy, informational place to see the way the car was originally put together.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 26 2006, 06:39 AM) *

Dave,
My 1970 4 cyl never came with a charcoal cannister. Perhaps that's yet another "running change" that the factory made, or perhaps something that only Ca cars got initially. confused24.gif

AFAIK, the cannister has been required US emissions equipment for longer than the 914 was around. I do know of at least one other 1970 car that never had one at all--did not even have the holes cut in the sill supports for the hoses. The owner got a COA which said that it did have the cannister, though.

Best guess is that it was a mistake from the factory. Perhaps the guy who installed the cannister system was out that day, or perhaps he thought that car was European spec and did not require a cannister...

--DD
dlo914
My 74' has the canister above the gas tank. Here's a pic and location:
Lavanaut
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 27 2006, 12:45 PM) *

My 74' has the canister above the gas tank. Here's a pic and location:

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback. The tip to look at the concours forum was a good one, too.

Based on the attached pic of my ride, it looks like my charcoal cannister is in the front as well, and I believe the small diameter hose that Mike D. mentioned is hooked up correctly (below, indicated by arrows...right)?

If I've got that right, any other ideas? I outlined the mystery hose in the picture, on the left. It runs out from underneath the washer fluid reservoir. The green circle indicates where it dead-ends. Its appearance is identical to the hose indicated by the arrows. (All of the other hose-looking mess is a CB antenna installed by the PO dry.gif).

I suppose the next step is to get in there and dig, but I wanted to post this update in the event that anyone else had an educated guess.

Thanks again!
JPB
My spin is if you are running carbs, all them things are dead weight and not of importance. If you have a running FI system, hey, that all looks great and soooo clean! thumb3d.gif
Lavanaut
Hey all,

I'm coming back to this now that I've had some time to look into it a little bit more. Thanks everyone for your feedback. A couple points:

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 23 2006, 02:59 PM) *

Would it be safe to assume that the overflow tube connected to the tray by the gas filler neck is attached? idea.gif
Yep, it's connected at both ends as it should be.

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 23 2006, 03:22 PM) *

The hose connecting the fuel tank expansion chamber to the charcoal canister is intact.

I did a little bit of digging, and with the help of my wife was able to track down where the hose originates from (at least, where in the visual sense...I didn't actually find the other end). It disappears into the chassis ("crosswall"?), paired with a black rubber hose with a brown stripe, in the spot circled in the pic below. You can't quite see it in the picture because it's behind the _______*, but the circle indicates the location.

* And what the hell is that thing called, anyway?!? I've been trying to figure it out for an hour. headbang.gif I wish I could find a labeled diagram somewhere. A collection of diagrams in the '914 Info' section sure would be useful to us novices.

Whew. Hopefully this'll be enough information for somebody to help me figure out what it is. I've read through my (new) Haynes manual and my Clymer manual form cover-to-cover and haven't had any luck. sad.gif I've learned a lot along the way though... aktion035.gif

As always, thanks in advance!

Lava
Lavanaut
icon_bump.gif

Anyone? Oh please?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 10 2006, 11:15 AM) *

paired with a black rubber hose with a brown stripe

the rubber hose is for your windshield washer system. i don't recall ever seeing one of the braided hoses going into the passanger cabin ...

maybe something that the PO thought up? for sucking in gas-fumes while driving?
confused24.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.