Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I tried out my air scoop yesterday in battle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
I mounted the air scoop and ran it yesterday at a local PCA a/x. I kept it on the car when I towed it on the trailer. I figured if it is going to come off I might as well endanger others as if flies off the car and into the windshield of the guy following me. I ran it up to 75 mph without a problem. I checked it when I got to the site and found no cracks in the fiberglass. clap56.gif

URY914
Did it make me go faster? Well I did post the fastest time of the day. smilie_pokal.gif
Not a big win as there weren't many cars running, but always fun to be fast. I was the event chairman and designed the course. I know what your thinking.... happy11.gif

I think I need a big wing now. High speed oversteer is a problem.
PORobinSCHE
Paul , scoop looks better than last time i saw it.

so did it knock .05 seconds off on pit road? or did that snorkle just scare the shit out of the competition? beerchug.gif

Robin laugh.gif
URY914
I think it made for at least a 11% increase in speed and lowered my cylinder head temps by 13.5%. wink.gif

Rouser
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 23 2006, 09:08 PM) *

I was the event chairman and designed the course.

Yeah, woulda loved to have sat in on THAT meeting. "Listen! We'll go straight here for 'bout a mile, turn around, go straight again for 'bout a mile, turn around, and go straight again for 'bout a mile, than ..."

You ain't foolin' none of us ... dry.gif
drew365
You should seriously consider covering the scoop opening while you're towing to prevent a plastic bag from flying in and lodging on your cylinders. You need Hoover as a sponsor.
Rouser
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 23 2006, 09:42 PM) *

You should seriously consider covering the scoop opening while you're towing to prevent a plastic bag from flying in ...

Or some poor low-flying sparrow.

That's all we need ... for the National Audubon Society to have A/Xing banned due to the likes of URY914.

Selfish bird killer ... mad.gif
URY914
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 23 2006, 05:42 PM) *

You should seriously consider covering the scoop opening while you're towing to prevent a plastic bag from flying in and lodging on your cylinders. You need Hoover as a sponsor.

Can't happen. I have a base piece that mounts on the bottom of the box. It mounts off the carb linkage bolts. You can see it in the picture...
drew365
I forgot that was strictly intake and not cooling. Good job, looks weird. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Rouser @ Oct 23 2006, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 23 2006, 09:42 PM) *

You should seriously consider covering the scoop opening while you're towing to prevent a plastic bag from flying in ...

Or some poor low-flying sparrow.

That's all we need ... for the National Audubon Society to have A/Xing banned due to the likes of URY914.

Selfish bird killer ... mad.gif

Maybe someone will paint me a stamp of my car and a dead bird. chowtime.gif
grantsfo
You escaped Nessie jokes, but not Big Bird!
914forme
chairfall.gif Big Bird av-943.gif
Borderline
Your car is looking really nice! What is the weight now? I'm surprised that you were willing to add all that weight "aloft" chairfall.gif I guess I missed your earlier post, but that whole scoop is only for intake air?
Aaron Cox
R O T F L paul... i fuckin love it!! LOLOLOL

nessy!
Trekkor
Didn't you say that was a baja bug snorkel?

I don't care for the yellow.
I know it's faster and all, but I think black might look better confused24.gif

Congrats on the TTOD clap56.gif

KT
URY914
QUOTE(Borderline @ Oct 23 2006, 07:32 PM) *

Your car is looking really nice! What is the weight now? I'm surprised that you were willing to add all that weight "aloft" chairfall.gif I guess I missed your earlier post, but that whole scoop is only for intake air?

Yes, it is for cool intake air to the carbs. Also shields hot air from the engine to the carbs. I'm so far under the minimum weight for my car, adding a little is not a big deal. It might weigh 6 pounds.
URY914
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 23 2006, 09:31 PM) *

Didn't you say that was a baja bug snorkel?

I don't care for the yellow.
I know it's faster and all, but I think black might look better confused24.gif

Congrats on the TTOD clap56.gif

KT

It is painted with the same paint color as the rockers and front spoiler but it looks much lighter in the pics. Poor camera or really bright day. I was thinking black but you can see it better in yellow.
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 24 2006, 04:34 AM) *

I was thinking black but you can see it better in yellow.

And that's a good thing? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Paul, disregard all of the wise cracks. Just remember, form follows function. mueba.gif
URY914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 24 2006, 05:26 AM) *

[ Just remember, form follows function. mueba.gif

Thats the story of this whole car... smile.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Demick
Seems ridiculously tall to me. Since you have no glass, I think you could have kept the whole thing below the targa bar and accomplished the same net effect with less wind resistance.

Just my .02
Demick
URY914
QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 24 2006, 06:23 AM) *

Seems ridiculously tall to me. Since you have no glass, I think you could have kept the whole thing below the targa bar and accomplished the same net effect with less wind resistance.

Just my .02
Demick

You're right I could have, but what fun would that be. Better to give people here a chance to rag on me some more. And that would have been way tooooo easy. biggrin.gif
Demick
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 24 2006, 07:49 AM) *

You're right I could have, but what fun would that be. Better to give people here a chance to rag on me some more. And that would have been way tooooo easy. biggrin.gif

Are you by any chance related to Trekkor?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
barf.gif

I know it works... but at least trim it down to fit under the targa bar alfred.gif

LOL

The only time heat would be a problem is if you sat in a line that didnt move on grid. I find it easier to ceramic coat the headers smile.gif

B
URY914
You KNOW if I stuck it under the targa bar, half of you a-holes would be telling me to mount it above the bar. Ya never win here. That's what make it seem like home. wub.gif
Aaron Cox
fugly and functional LOL

just for fun.. stick a pressure gauge sender in it....
wonder what kind of air pressure/volumes it sees under speed....
URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 24 2006, 09:03 AM) *

fugly and functional LOL

Just like an old girlfriend...

Now that pressure gauge thing is way too high tech.

BTW, it looks better in person.
PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 24 2006, 10:23 AM) *

Just my .02
Demick

hey Paul....here we go again !!! chairfall.gif
john rogers
When are you going to add some winglets on it as in F1? Also at say 120 MPH how much drag/rear down force is generated?
URY914
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 24 2006, 05:57 PM) *

When are you going to add some winglets on it as in F1? Also at say 120 MPH how much drag/rear down force is generated?

I was watching the F1 races this season and I saw those little winglets. They did get me thinkin' cool_shades.gif
maf914
I like those exhaust chimneys that are located on the rear bodywork of all the F1 cars. Add some of those too. laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 25 2006, 10:11 AM) *

I like those exhaust chimneys that are located on the rear bodywork of all the F1 cars. Add some of those too. laugh.gif

For now I'm working on my rear wing. I got started on it last night.
Think it's big enough??? biggrin.gif

Rouser
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 25 2006, 04:41 PM) *

For now I'm working on my rear wing. I got started on it last night.
Think it's big enough??? biggrin.gif

What, you plannin' on lappin' the Earth?
Brad Roberts
Those little winglets on the F1 scoops house the camera's!! great idea for Paul.

Paul,

do you have any pics of your car with all the body work off? Has anyone from PCA said anything about the lack of firewall?

B
john rogers
I heard if you have a 4 layer firesuit, no firewall is required??!!
URY914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 25 2006, 02:06 PM) *

Those little winglets on the F1 scoops house the camera's!! great idea for Paul.

Paul,

do you have any pics of your car with all the body work off? Has anyone from PCA said anything about the lack of firewall?

B

You noticed that too. happy11.gif

No one has ever said a word. confused24.gif

I have some aluminum to fab one before the state championship next month.
URY914
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 25 2006, 03:08 PM) *

I heard if you have a 4 layer firesuit, no firewall is required??!!

I wear one of those funny car suits like John Force wears biggrin.gif

URY914
Brad, here are a few w/o the body but these aren't recent.

URY914
nutter...

Brad Roberts
I'm debating on running floorpans biggrin.gif I only need a place for the seat and place to pivot my heels. ALA Sand rail mesh style..

Thanks Paul. As usual.. always a pleasure seeing your ride "naked" clap56.gif drooley.gif

B
J P Stein
Yeah, I can vouch for those pics not being recent.
Paul has lost a lot of weight since then:D
Joe Ricard
I don't think any of them are Paul. Cept maybe that right foot in the last pic but somehow I think it is Paul that is taking the pics.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 25 2006, 06:35 PM) *

I don't think any of them are Paul. Cept maybe that right foot in the last pic but somehow I think it is Paul that is taking the pics.

Sorry, Joe, that's what passes for humor at my house.
I've met Paul.
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 25 2006, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 25 2006, 06:35 PM) *

Sorry, Joe, that's what passes for humor at my house.
I've met Paul.

J.P., Joe's met me too. BTW that's not my foot. I only wear fine I-talian racin' shoes. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.