Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat shield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Title pretty much says it.

The heat shield over the muffler... Has anyone removed it? And is there any reason not to? This is primarilly a competition car, with occasional sunny day drives. I would think that would be an easy 5 or so lbs of steel I can delete from the back of the car.

Yes, the rules in my class allow for deletion of the heat shield...

Is there anything BAD that might occur, besides making the rear trunk warmer...

-Josh2
brant
nothing bad.
go ahead
on my street car I noticed that my luggage (and items in the rear trunk) gets warmer without the shield.

thats about it though
markb
I've never had one on the Red car, and never had problems. Don't put anything in the trunk that melts. A large Hershey bar gets really messy if left there. Ask me how I know. dry.gif
J P Stein
Aye, mines been gone for years.
jhadler
The Aye's have it!

It's as good as gone. I'll weigh it as soon as I drill out the spot welds...

-Josh2
Crazyhippy
dont do it... it's a horrible thing to do, Porsche put it there for a reason, and without it the whole car falls apart!!!!!!

OK, i'm kidding, lose it and put a turbo in it's place biggrin.gif

BJH
Pat Garvey
On a street/original/concours car - YEP!

Street - try going 5-600 miles w/out one & luggage in the rear - hope you don't have anyfluids in there!

Original/concours car - self explanatory.

Why lose it? What's it wiegh - 4-5 pounds?
dmenche914
Early 914's had a screwed on heat sheild, no welds, easy on, easy off.

No problem with out it, except hotter trunk inside.

for competition every bit can help, all things other being equal.

eat a light meal rather than a heavy meal before racing,
jhadler
It'll be off this weekend (if I have the time to go down to the garage that is). Weight is everything in this class. There is no minimum weight, but there are only so many things that I'm allowed to do that could possibly reduce weight, so I'm trying to do 'em all. The heat shield is easy enough...

Ideally, I should use a spot weld drill.... Don't have one though...

-Josh2
brer
I had contemplated losing the sheild and lining the bottom of the trunk area with a heat reflecting material.

Modern materials are really effective, and dont weigh much.

messix
don't let the wire harness lay on the trunk floor back there. tie it up to the read panel.
brer
http://www.autobarn.net/thalheba.html

12 bucks... a sq. foot
grantsfo
One of the first things I cut off my car. My car has orginal paint in trunk and its still fine after 2 years of no heat shield. I took my grinder to the mounting tabs and it was off in 5 minutes.
GeorgeRud
Removing the shield would certainly help get the pizza home warmer! Once brought one from Champaign/Urbana, IL to Chicago still warm for the family!
dmenche914
Interior heat padding my be cool, but any water leaks that get trapped under them usually result in RUST!!!! yikes, I have always removed any trunk insulation found in my 914's, treating the rust, and never putting them rust traps back aggain, same goes for that gawd awful pad found on the engine side of the firewall on later cars.

Needless to say the little weight of the stock metal heat shield is not much. Then again, line the trunk with a water trap, and soon you may have no trunk floor at all (problem is the tranny mounts to the trunk floor) a draggin' magnesium tail end of a tranny must really throw lots of sparks, they burn hot too.

If your building a light racer, you prabbly won't be using the trunk for luggage, hence don't add rust forming padding, if it is your driver then don't wory about the metal sheild adding extra wieght, it is not significant in a street car.
if you have heat sensitive luggage, use a temporary pad to protect it, then remove it when done, to assure the trunk can dry out.

Keep your trunks dry!
Spoke
I removed the heat shield to do some collision damage and decided to keep the shield and make it removable. I was already doing some welding so didnt matter on the size of the holes that I made. In some cases, I couldn't find the weld and the holes got a bit large.

Welded bolts to the mounting tabs and was able to bolt on and remove at will if needed. Does help keep the trunk a bit cooler. I replaced the shield just because it was original equipment and no need to remove it permanently.

Spoke

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.