Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what was the finish of the under side parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
freezing14
ok i am looking into all kind of option now, paint, por 15 , powder coat etc,, what was the original finish o f the a-arm and the little cups, steering rack bracket, trailing arm,,

were they originaly painted or else and what color, should it be overspay or the color, etc,,

and what was the finish of the exhaust sheild, surly not painted but what??

thanks guys
Matt Romanowski
I believe most of the parts were a semi-gloss black. I've used SEM Trim Black and got a very close finish. Probably best to use POR or a good primer underneath.

The exhuast shield on my car was painted just like the rest of the car. Overspray on the top, but the bottom was painted like the rest of the trunk floor.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Oct 26 2006, 05:09 PM) *

I believe most of the parts were a semi-gloss black. I've used SEM Trim Black and got a very close finish. Probably best to use POR or a good primer underneath.

The exhuast shield on my car was painted just like the rest of the car. Overspray on the top, but the bottom was painted like the rest of the trunk floor.

MOST parts were painted a satin black, though some were painted a gloss black & some weren't painted, but plated or anodized. Depends on the parts.

Exhaust shield should be the color of the car.

Watch the use of POR15, because it is heavy & must be painted after applied. It is light sensitive.
freezing14
would the chassis coat would be a good match for the finish,, and it can be directly applied on top of por 15, they say that it match the finish of all the domestic under , parts is it the same for the 914

Freez
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Oct 27 2006, 09:02 AM) *

would the chassis coat would be a good match for the finish,, and it can be directly applied on top of por 15, they say that it match the finish of all the domestic under , parts is it the same for the 914

Freez

This is my understanding of using POR15, and I have not used it myself - YET.

Surfaces must be etched with a POR compound first, then the POR15 appiled, then it can be painted whatever you wish - but it should be painted.

I would hope that our supreme commander, Sir Andy would step in here. Andy seems to have more experience with this product than most and, (I love him for this) is a wee bit opinionated, can enlighten us all.

Sir Andy, would you care to comment ??????
914runnow
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Oct 26 2006, 07:36 AM) *

ok i am looking into all kind of option now, paint, por 15 , powder coat etc,, what was the original finish o f the a-arm and the little cups, steering rack bracket, trailing arm,,

were they originaly painted or else and what color, should it be overspay or the color, etc,,

and what was the finish of the exhaust sheild, surly not painted but what??

thanks guys

Semi Gloss black spray painted was OEM...
Here I will ring the Powdercoat Bell...
BK-05 I put on my rear trail arms...really close to original finish..
BUT I DO VERY MUCH AGREE THAT DEPENDING ON MF'R OF THE PART
YOU WILL GET VARIATIONS FROM BLACK TO BLACK..
After 500.00 or so in this game with Porsche on new parts..(Black)
A bunch of parts were scratched and 'Bin Thrashed'...
Had to go with Powdercoat to save my hair and mental state......
OH PS...Some parts were paint dipped too.....
KenH
This looks realy close to the "blacks" on my car. Better than other "stock" semi-gloss paints I have tried.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=...D=11&KICKER

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.