Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do wipers stop where they do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
If I turn off my windshield wipers while they are in motion, they will finish their current pass and then stop with the wipers positioned so high that they are right in the driver's field of vision. If I turn them off when the wipers are close to their lowest point of travel and I time it just right I can get them to turn off at the lowest point or fairly close to it.

So what exactly dictates how the wipers stop when you turn them off?
john rogers
Most wipers have a parking circuit that still has power when you shut the wipers off and it causes the motor to go to it's parked position. You can change it on most cars so the wipers will stop on the other side of the windshield than normal. I think there was a post on the Pelican site on how to do this on 914s or maybe here?
Marlow
Here's a link that should help explain how the parking mechanism works.

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/wiper2.htm

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Oct 28 2006, 01:07 PM) *

If I turn off my windshield wipers while they are in motion, they will finish their current pass and then stop with the wipers positioned so high that they are right in the driver's field of vision. If I turn them off when the wipers are close to their lowest point of travel and I time it just right I can get them to turn off at the lowest point or fairly close to it.

So what exactly dictates how the wipers stop when you turn them off?

Stop them in they're "normal" position. Remove the arms from the slines & back them down one or two notches on the spline. Tighten everything up & if it isn't where you want it, try again. It's a pretty simple adjustment procedure, but it does have limits - adjust them too far "down" at end stroke & you'll have them slapping. try it one spline adjustment at a time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.