Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats the deal with the gas tank "reserve" light?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Im driving around and my fuel gauge says I have 1/4 of a tank left, but the light is on. blink.gif How do these things read? Is the light just a warning, or does it mean I am really low.... confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
The needle on the gauge works through resistance. Dirty connections, etc., can all change the reading.

The light works from a strip of metal on the bottom of the float inside the fuel tank. When the float gets low enough in the tank, the metal strip shorts across two contacts, providing a ground path for the light. About the only thing that'll change when it comes on is if the wires break or if the float gets messed up.

IOW, the light is more reliable than the gauge. You have "about" a gallon left when it comes on for real. (It will come on in the corners for a while before it stays on when level.)

--DD
GWN7
Could be a defective sending unit. Get a stick and dip your tank to see how much gas it really has. If it's a 1/4 way up, sending unit, wiring...ect
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.