Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire question....should i run 225s all the way around
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i am planning to use a yok 225 advans on the rear, but for the fronts i am not sure, i can fit a 225 or should i go with a 205....
is it not good to put 225s all the way around ?
i would like to auto cross the car, but will be streeted too
the rims i am running are 15x7s and 8s
VegasRacer

225' will fit on the front, no problem.
I've got 225's on 16x8 Fuchs on all 4 corners.

If I had 7's up front, I think I would choose to run 205's.

BTW - Have you considered the Toyo T1-R ? I have been very happy with them.
Aaron Cox
you have flares?

i have 225 advans and they are seriously an inch bigger than street 225 tires...
VegasRacer
What 'cha got on there now Steve?

This combo looks pretty good.
JPB
Wow, that be toiet, toiet like the skin in my condom.

beer.gif Way toiet.
WaideS
I have no idea about autox, but I have 225's all the way around now and I love em. I think you'll be happy with them

2 thumb3d.gif cents
pete-stevers
the "harlot" has 225 s on sevens all the way around but......................
"gizmo"...is going to have flares...and 8s in the rear....
and sevens up front....
but honestly i have never really pushed the harlot to her limits....
so i don't know if i should have a smaller tire up front
or if i should use the 225 all the way around....
is there any determent to handling using the 225s all around
as opposed to a 225 rears and 205s front combo??
since the cat is out of the bag
i bought the blue WCC raffle queen from Craig.....
i needed somthing to keep me busy and out of trouble

VegasRacer
Yes there will be minor handling differences between 205's vs. 225's.
However....... With a name like 'Gizmo' and flares? .....
225's front & 245's rear! biggrin.gif End of discussion.

Good Luck and Congrats on the new project. smilie_flagge24.gif
pete-stevers
i can't get any bigger than 225s unless i use a dunlop sp8000s...which are big bucks.....i can get the 225s for 155 a piece...the 245s for 369 apiece...
and that tire is the only road tire option for for a 15 inch rim...in a unless someone knows better
so yes if i can go bigger i will......
VegasRacer
so yes if i can go bigger i will......

Easy . . . . . go 16. wink.gif
That will give you lots more tire choices. biggrin.gif

*(sorry - i don't know stromberg.gif about 15" options)
pete-stevers
i hav a set of old bbs mahle rims that i am refinishing......and i kind like em a lot....
if i did 16s i would follow dan roots idea of widening 16x 6s
but that would kinda blow my budget....
maybe in a few years i will go that route
Crazyhippy
either way... you can adjust the way the car handles w/ rollbar and suspension stuff if needed.

I'd run as much rubber as possible though... never hear someone say they wish they had less, hear lots of wish i had mores

BJH
pete-stevers
so i guesse this comes down to size....but how bout stickyness....
i can buy some z rated dunlops 245 and 225s mucho bucks
or i can by some yoke advan 225s all the way around...sold to me at close to cost
i am leaning toward the 225s all the way round
yay or nay.....
VegasRacer
If those are the only 2 choices - I would go with the Yokes.
So.Cal.914
225's all the way, it should handle well and the added bonus...you can rotate.
Mugs914
Go 225s all round, you will be happy with 'em. The Yoks will be pretty nice. I have 225 BFG KDs on mine (Talk about a bargain! smile.gif ). Really good on the street, but I would want a bit more on the track. But then, I guess that goes without saying... biggrin.gif
jhadler
I'm running 225's on 15x8's at all four corners. The rear fenders have been pulled to help fit the tires, but the fronts fit just fine.

And I'm a little confused at how expensive you think 225/50-15 tires are. I know there's an exchange rate issue between CA and US, but take a look at Tire Rack, or try a local tire distrubutor for Falken tires. Falken makes some GREAT sticky street tires that won't break the bank.

-Josh2
pete-stevers
i can get the 225 yokes for 153 ea...
it is the dunlops that are pricey
jhadler
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 30 2006, 12:37 PM) *

i can get the 225 yokes for 153 ea...
it is the dunlops that are pricey

Okay, I guess I'm gettin' a mite bit confused here. You're talking about the Yokohama Advan, but you don't say which model. Do you mean the AD07 competition tire? Then there is no comparison with the Dunlop. The AD07 is a track tire, the Dunlop is a STREET tire. Apples and Oranges. If it's not the AD07 you're talking about, then the rest of the Advan line is well below that of the Dunlop SP 8000.

Then again, the point is pretty much moot as none of the Advan line is available in a 225/50-15.

And the SP8000 is CHEAP through the tire rack. $96 CAD per tire. Even the SP9000 is only $154 CAD. So, I don't know who's giving you these prices, but you should probably start looking elsewhere...

Let's get some info down so we can get you the right tire without busting the bank...

Is this for:
A 15" wheel?
For competition only?
Street only?
Both?

What size wheels?

I think 225's at all four corners is a great setup, better still to have the wheels the same size, then it allows you to rotate the tires more easilly as well. The only time bigger meats are needed in the rear are if you've a motor back there with some serious power. And a stock 2.0L is not going to put out enough to warrant larger tires than up front.

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.