Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rotten steering rack boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
Hello All:

On the project 914 (long term, three plus years apart). we installed a brnad new turbo tie rod kit. Included were a set of new steering rack boots. These were put ont he car, maybe two years ago, and since then the car has been on stands.

went to check the underside out, as i want to get the suspension sorted out, looked at teh new steering rack boots,a dn surprise!!! the 'new" boots are all cracked, and there are splits in the corregations. Pretty bad service life considerign the car has not moved in two years!

Anyone have experience with poor quality steering rack boots? i got these at teh time I bought the turbo tie rods, Don't recall if itwas part of a kit, or sold seperatly. At any rate they are JUNK! the old probably 30 year old boots that came off the car were better than these "new" boots.

I will have to see if i saved the old ones, but I think that the old ones have a different sized end on them (ie boot for turbo tierods is different than boot for standard tierods) anyone recalll if they are different.

1. are the boots different style for turbo verses standard tie rods?
2. anyone else run into bad boots that crack and split after just two short years with no driving?

i recall on my first 914 i installed turbo tie rod, with new boots, and they lasted.

Bad batch of rubber? bad manufacturer? any known good ones?

HELP!!!! want to get this 914 on the road again!
Dr Evil
I had mine go bad in 2 mo. They were the cheaper ones that were not of good quality.
Al Meredith
DITTO ! I was under my 912E today installing a new master cylinder and noticed the last row on the boots is beginning to crack. Two years old and the car was on stands for 6 months while I built a new enging. Whats up? Mine came from Performance Parts.
highways
I don't have any myself- mostly because I've heard lot's of people complain and sounds like the new turbo tie rod ones are ALL crap. Proto31 got some- came cracked right out the bag.

type47
hmmm. i put turbo tie rods on last fall, had a tech inspection today and the boot on the tie rod was kaput!
dmenche914

Anyone be able to pipe in with a source of good ones? Golly i wish i knew, I' would have kept my old ones off me first 914. Maybe purchased ten years ago. i fould the OEM boots, they don't fit the turbo tierods, different desing, and dispite being 30 some years old, are in nice conditon.

Uhm, wonder if the genius making these crappy boots for the turbo tierods also has a stock pile of Unobtaininium steering racks, just waiting for the day when they are rare, and all the ones in use are destroyed from dirt from failed boots.

This stops the whole project for now.

Source of good boots??? Anyone????? Please???????
Spoke
Are you looking for a set of these? For some reason, this came with my new car. It could be yours for $25 + shipping.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.