Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Drain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
The drain on the transmission is the largest Allen wrench in the world...Is there a tool or trick to not having to by an 800MM Allen Wrench ??
sj914
Nope, you have to get that allen wrench or the allen socket.
Kerrys914
The tool I used worked GREAT.

Go to SEARS and buy the large "L" shaped allen tool. Then locate the craftsman adjustable BOX type wrench. These come in a kit with two sizes. The wrench is black with a red handle.

Slide the "L" shaped allen tool into the adjustable box type wrench. Slide the allen tool into the wrench so there is about 1" exposed on the working side.

I can take some photo's of the two tools used. This method worked great and I didn't strip the allen bolt smile.gif
Cheers
Kerry
Chris H.
I just drained a tranny yesterday and used the 17mm allen wrench I bought at Sears. $8.99.
Mark Henry
Most aircooled bug shops will have this tool, as well as many other tools of this ilk for our 914's.
KaptKaos
Got mine at Sears too. Call ahead and make sure they have it in stock.

- Joe
Andy Somnifac
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Nov 7 2003, 07:39 AM)
The drain on the transmission is the largest Allen wrench in the world...Is there a tool or trick to not having to by an 800MM Allen Wrench ??

Found a set of large allen sockets (13mm - 17mm I think it was) for like $5.99 at Advance Auto. Might be worth a try.
Brad Roberts
This is something our Ecommerce will sell one day. Buy the proper socket so you can put a ratchet on it.

The VW tool that most places sell is a large socket specifically built for this.

If you use the large allen wrench.. you stand bigger chance of stripping the drain plug out.

B
2-OH!
Thanks guys...I'm on my way to the tool store...

2-0H!
roundboy914
17 mm allen wrench from Sears, but my plug was a little tight. Never fear, slip a nice 8-12" piece of 3/4" copper piping, and just like that off it comes, Physics 101 and Newton are your friend.
Brad Roberts
Be careful. I have seen 8-10 plugs totally screwed up from people trying to use the improper tool (and you cannot weld to them)

If the plugs looks like it has been mangled in the slighest bit...

B
2-OH!
No, you are right Brad...I learned on the shifting rod- cone screw...USE THE RIGHT TOOL...It's worth a $10.00 socket/allen tool...

2-OH!
Curvie Roadlover
I remember a post that suggested you should always take the top plug out first. That way, if it strips or gives you problems, at least your tranny fluid hasn't all drained out rendering the car undriveable. If you take the bottom one out first and the top plug gets stuck it would be very difficult to replace the fluid.
Bruce Allert
a friend gave me a 19mm. I ground it down to fit. worked great!
bruce
rhodyguy
2oh, you're in sumner? i live near 128th and canyon. i've got the correct hex drive. you can borrow mine. i bet i've seen your car car. what color and year? is it the blue one i see parked at the Summit Pub? i'm sending you a phone #.

kevin
Aaron Cox
i got mine at vdubber shop....couple bucks. THhey had the driveshaft removal toool also. they both came in 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive scokets smilie_pokal.gif
r_towle
Being a really cheap guy, and it was sunday and Sears did not have it nor the FLAPS, I went to the hardware store with a 17mm wrench, found a 1.5 inch bolt that had a 17mm head, and three nuts.

I put it all together, jamming the nuts and making sure they lined up exactly (not that hard to do)

I now use a 17mm socket and insert this tool in the hole and bingo, no problem.

I think the whole solution cost me about $1.00 if that.

I would have bought the nice 17mm allen socket if anyone had one, but in a pinch that worked great.

Rich
Tobra
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2003, 12:57 PM)
Be careful. I have seen 8-10 plugs totally screwed up from people trying to use the improper tool (and you cannot weld to them)

If the plugs looks like it has been mangled in the slighest bit...

B

Sorry to revive a moldy oldy, but I have the right tool, and it is the slightest bit mangled, but it is the drain only that is stuck, the top one comes out. It was about a pint low when I got it, hopefully that would not fry anything too badly.

Did not have a pipe when I had it up on stands, so it may just be the long enough lever to move the Earth thing. The cars destiny is to spend at least part of its life on stands(The four in the 47 is for # of jack stands, as I understand it), and while I have it up there, I am going to give it another whack. Has anyone ever stuck a piece of sandpaper in there to make it a shade tighter fit for the tool into the drain plug? I would prefer not drilling it out; I don't mind sacrificing the tool, Bugformance is 5 minutes from my office, and I already have a new plug.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.