Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ext. Pass. Door Handle Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joel924
I just replaced the passenger side external door handle today - following the instructions on the PelicanParts site. The "new" handle is one of a pair, which I picked up EBay that appear to be in good condition with no broken tabs, pieces, etc. There was a "R" and a "L" - I assume the "R" is for the passenger side.

The challenge... is the new outside handle will not open the door. When the door is unlocked (from the inside), then the door handle flap will not fully extend outward (or move much at all) to engage the opening mechanism. If the door is locked from the inside, the door handle flap seems to have the full range of motion - but as it should... does not engage the door mechanism.

The key turns a bit... but does not seem to lock or unlock the door. The inside locking mechanism is a bit stiff and slow to move. I do not care too much about being able to lock the car... but I would like to be able to open it using the external latch.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
URY914
Let me ask you a few questions and depending on your answers I may have it.

The handle has a plastic "slider" that engages the door latch within the door. Was this slider a new replacement and was it made of black plastic?

If the slider was not a replasment was it in good condition?

Have a look at my blog. I've written up a pretty detailed story on outside door handles.

Paul
Joe Ricard
Paul, the plastic piece shouldn't make a difference if the exterior flap won't budge.

I think something is screwed with the latch mechanism. I had this happen to Dereks car. Pulled the door latch out and scrubbed a pound of crud out of it. Then worked in some PB blaster and everything worked good.

The piece that the outer handle operates is not moved by the inner door handle. I bet it is stuck.
URY914
Joe,

OK maybe I don't understand what's happening here. Clean the whole thing up and see what works.
joel924
Thanks guys... I will pull the handle off later this week and make sure everything is clean and lubed. I will also take a couple of pictures, and let you know the status.
rhodyguy
with the handle off and the door closed, you should be able to push on the inner release piece with one finger and the door should open relatively easy. don't settle for anything less than smooth operation before you button things up. the bird sells the replacement cam for $14 and change each. piece of mind to just replace it NOW and forget about it. order 2, you'll need another down the road. don't forget the new vapor barrier.

...while you're in there. new inner fuzzy strip. outer squeegee. some of uncle bruce's new end caps....go real crazy. new rear vert window guide felt strip....

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.