Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weight of a shell? plans for a shell dolly/cart?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
I'm getting ready to strip the body of both front and rear suspension and put it up in the air on a wooden cart/dolly...

I have the chalon fenders so I'm guessing a bit of weight off stock there? but... how much? any guesses..

how much will the bare shell weigh and MOST IMPORTANTLY, does anyone have some tested plans on building that cart....

I'd do a rotissiere but i dont weld and dont really NEED one. I can manage on my back for the small issues the car has. I'll bitch about it when I'm 40 I'm sure but for now... I'll live. smile.gif
URY914
I've seen several pictures here of four guys picking up a bare shell. I don't of anyone that has ever weighed one. My guess is 800-1000 pounds. Several guys have made carts and its pretty simple. Get yourself some steel caster wheels and some 4 x 4's and get er done. sawzall-smiley.gif
riverman
Check this out. 2x4's and 4x4's. Works great, The tub only weighs about 500 lbs., but I've never checked (just guessing).
boxstr
If you want one and want to pay for shipping I will send it. It is very strudy. Works great. Not using anymore.
Craig
bernbomb914
what is it that you will send?

Bernie
snflupigus
boxstr, I think shipping would cost more or as much as the 4x4's and hardware to match the above... which looks like a very good design. I think I will go that route. Thank you for the offer.

Thanks again guys... always a help here.
boxstr
Bernie I was going to send a dolly for a 914 body. I got one with a car that I bought.
It is probably just as cost effective to build one as have one shipped to you.
Good luck and send pics.
CCL
bernbomb914
I thought it might be a rottiserie

Bernie
Joe Ricard
Rob Watson and I tossed the stripper into the back of a U-haul truck.
Rolling "JP style" boxes made the job easy I guess 800 or less.
groot
I think the bare shell is more like 500-600 pounds. I stripped my car before I sent it to be chemically dipped. 4 guys loaded it onto a trailer with very little difficulty.
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 28 2006, 06:35 PM) *

I've seen several pictures here of four guys picking up a bare shell.

pussies ... biggrin.gif

we've done it with 3 guys, me lifting the rear all by myself ...
heavy, but not too heavy. just remember, lift with your legs, not your back.

dunno any numbers ...
confused24.gif Andy
IronHillRestorations
I've used a couple of $20 platform dollies I got from Sam's.
JPB
Some scrap angle and a welder and you have a fine custom dolly doohicky.

beer.gif
Crazyhippy
picked a shell up w/ 2 guys, just long enough to transfer it from jackstands to a dolly... i'd say 500lbs is pretty damn close.

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.