Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAIN CRAMPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Well, car is dead in the water again. Was visiting a friend in NY state. Was getting some backfiring and had some idle issues when I started out from home. On my return trip, the car ran for about 10 minutes then shut off. It wasn't the relay board causing the problem. We tried swapping it with a good known unit. It was then sent to a local Porsche mechanic. The shop owner that diagnosised it, noted that power is going to the brain, but the brain is not sending a signal/power to the injectors. We tried swapping relay boards, trigger points, has a new distrib. from ottos, fuel system completely redone and cleaned. This weekend we are going to try to put my brain in another 914 to verify it's faulty.
A few people told me that brains very rarely fail. Any thoughts on what would cause failure? Power surge? Any ideas on what to check so I dont fry a new unit? Who offers good rebuilt warrantied units?

The car has 58K on it and is a 75 2.0 with pertronix.

Thanks.,

Tod
Brad Roberts
Damn man. 914's dont like you.

Grounds grounds grounds.

Does the Porsche place still have it ?

B
tod914
Unforunetly its not just 914s. But anyway, I will goto his shop tommorow and go through the all the grounds with him. Man, I just wanted to clean it up so I could sell it. Frigin car won't cut me any slack.
tod914
Well,

we tested the brain in my friends car and it is not working.
that would explain a few things aye?

so what could cause a brain to fail? I dont want to fry a new unit so any tips on what to check before i install it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.