Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb question washer jets just pop out, right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Finishing up getting 'Rodney' ready for paint. The washer jets just pop out from the bottom, right. Just disconnect the hose and push up? I can't really see under there since I'm not pulling the gas tank and other stuff behind the bulkhead.
TINCAN914
I was wondering the same thing the other day, but had not got around to realy taking a look..
dmenche914

Yup, Thats how they come out. They might be a bit brittle from age, but they just snap in and out.

Heck if you are spending the time and money to paint the car, pull the gas tank, so you can pullthe fresh air box/fan, so you can paint the louvers propper like, masking them is a pain, although doable. Most shops mask them quick and dirty, adn thats how they look when done, quick and dirty. Extra benifit is once the box is free, you can add a nice aluminum screen window style Bug screen to keep all the little nasty bugs and pine needle bits out of your fan. Just paint eh bug scrren gloos black before install, and besure the rubber gasket aroud the box top is sealed up to the body.

you probably could just drop the air box a bit, without removing the gas tank, but i have always removed the tank first.

Good luck on your paint job!!!
jim_hoyland

agree.gif Definately worth the extra time/effort. And while you are in there...... biggrin.gif

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Oct 28 2006, 08:47 PM) *

Yup, Thats how they come out. They might be a bit brittle from age, but they just snap in and out.

Heck if you are spending the time and money to paint the car, pull the gas tank, so you can pullthe fresh air box/fan, so you can paint the louvers propper like, masking them is a pain, although doable. Most shops mask them quick and dirty, adn thats how they look when done, quick and dirty. Extra benifit is once the box is free, you can add a nice aluminum screen window style Bug screen to keep all the little nasty bugs and pine needle bits out of your fan. Just paint eh bug scrren gloos black before install, and besure the rubber gasket aroud the box top is sealed up to the body.

you probably could just drop the air box a bit, without removing the gas tank, but i have always removed the tank first.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Oct 28 2006, 08:47 PM) *

Thanks. I know it would be eaiser to remove the tank, but some dummy filled the tank to the top with gas slap.gif while on his last joy ride of the year. The weather turned crappy for a while and I started taking the car a part forgetting about the full tank. I know I could drain it, just not up to it right now.

Ok ok, I will drain the tank and pull it. sheesh I got two PMs from "friends" here telling me to pull the damn tank. Can ya feel the love. grouphug.gif huh.gif laugh.gif
914-8
NO! That's not how they come out. At least not the later black ones, but I'm pretty sure the earlier silver ones are the same.

They have tabs on them that need to be pressed in before they will pop out.

If you track down a picture of one off the car, you'll see what I mean.

I've always found them to be a major pain. It's hard to reach down in there to get to the tabs.

Don't force them. You'll bend your cowl and it'll look terrible after paint.
boxstr
The washers are not as easy to push up an dout as you might suspect. I have had to use pliers to squeeze the tabs together so that I could push them up and out.

I would also recommend gas tank removal and while you are at it, remove the front trunk lid it makes everything 100% easier.
CCL
914-8
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 28 2006, 09:00 PM) *

The washers are not as easy to push up an dout as you might suspect. I have had to use pliers to squeeze the tabs together so that I could push them up and out.

I would also recommend gas tank removal and while you are at it, remove the front trunk lid it makes everything 100% easier.
CCL

LOL, beat craig to it by a few seconds!

Here's a picture showing the tabs. When you push it down into the cowl, those tabs sqeeze themselves in, then "spring" out.

As you can imagine, once they are in, the harder you pull on them, the tighter they will get! Problem is, it's hard to get your hands or pliers on them because access is so limited. On my last one, I drilled them out from the top, starting with a small drill bit and working my way up.

IPB Image
GaroldShaffer
Well that is going to be PITA. Ok off with the lid and out comes the tank. I feel a bad case DWD coming on blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.