Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Okay, what's the deal with 'Old' bumpers and 'new' bumpers? I thought they were all the same. Someone said 'old' bumpers were worth a lot. In that case, I'm driving a cash cow (or rather, a cash cow is sleeping on my jackstands). What's the difference. Why are the old ones worth more ?(If they in fact are). Please forgive my ignorance.
Mark D.
boxstr
Excellent chrome bumpers are worth more because they are hard to find. If you have to take a "good" chrome bumper and make it excellent then it is going to cost @$300-500 per bumper for straitghtening and rechroming.
Bumper tops can cost $0-175. for used ones and $225 for new ones.
People want to replace their painted bumpers with chrome ones. People with the 75-76 914s want to backdate their cars to look like the early 70-74 914s.
That is the reason why they are worth more than the later bumpers.
Plus they are a little lighter in weight.
When people are shopping for an early 914, this a is a good time to find one with the good chrome bumpers.
CCL
Spoke
Also, 70-72 bumpers do not have bumperettes, thus no extra holes if you remove the titties.

Spoke
GWN7
Also on the 70-71 6's and the early 70's 4's the rear bumper is more squared off in the licence plate area (edges on the indent)
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 29 2006, 06:17 AM) *

Also on the 70-71 6's and the early 70's 4's the rear bumper is more squared off in the licence plate area (edges on the indent)

agree.gif those are the ones people pay big bucks for. the ones with the "sharp" edge around the licenseplate area ...

smile.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mark,
This image shows an O.E.M. 1970 rear bumper. Note how the highlighted area is more "squared off" than the bumper shown in a previous post.
BMXerror
Ah. So basically if you have "excellent" chrome bumpers with no titties, they're pretty rare. If you have the early -6 rear bumper, they're REALLY rare. I guess I have a later 1970 car, because it has the more rounded rear bumper..... either that or someone changed it. I'd say my bumpers are "good" because there's no dents, but not excellent because the crome is pretty shot on them.
Mark D.
TH914

I am looking for a new rear chrome bumper as mine is pretty badly dented. I have a line on one with the bumperettes. How does the bumper look with them removed, i.e. how big are the extra holes?

Thanks!

-TH
Allan
QUOTE(TH914 @ Nov 6 2006, 01:57 PM) *

I am looking for a new rear chrome bumper as mine is pretty badly dented. I have a line on one with the bumperettes. How does the bumper look with them removed, i.e. how big are the extra holes?

Thanks!

-TH

As long as there are no dents or rust where the tits where they look great. The holes you can plug with chrome hole plugs from just about any flaps...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.