Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheap sound deadner option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.C
Found this on a forum I visit and am going to give it a try on the teener.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=dynamat
effutuo101
agree.gif
This looks like a good way to save a bunch of money. I was looking at the dynomat stuff, but didn't think I needed to have it that thick. I might have to give this a try.
Chris
tat2dphreak
mcmaster.com also sells some stuff very comprable, that's what I have, it's 1/3 the price, whole car was about $60-$75... search for mcmaster
Joe Ricard
Race Quiet Stereo Ear plugs. http://racequiet.com/
I never leave home without them.
Heeltoe914
I just finished my conversion with headers and a twin pipe exhaust that is loud from the outside but very nice inside I can here the stereo and have a conversation with passenger while driving down the freeway.
I had looked into the other option for the sound proofing material and was very tempted to try some off brands. I went to two Hi-End stereo shops and asked them for samples and which sound proofing thay preffered, Dynomat seemed to be the winner all around. I was unable to find some real numbers on db reading that where not sponsored by the selling company, so I felt that this is a do it one time install when its done if it dose not work I have to pull out the interior and the bad stuff to install better material, The 30- 40 saving, if that, was not worth the risk. Unless someone has some real world experience with the material you use?????.
My buddies who have the same motor and own 914 cant believe how much quieter my car is over there’s. IMHO think it over driving a loud 914 gets old fast.
As a note I did firewall, eng lid, longs and inside doors. I think I will also add it under the seats later.
blitZ
I used FatMat on my car. They have a deal on 36 sq ft for $50, which was enough to do the floor and both sides of the firewall. It installs easily using a roller conforms to curves and dips well. It's obviously lighter and deadens sound fairly well. Cruising at a steady speed with the roof on you can carry on a conversation.

FatMat

andys
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 30 2006, 06:03 PM) *

mcmaster.com also sells some stuff very comprable, that's what I have, it's 1/3 the price, whole car was about $60-$75... search for mcmaster

tat2dphreak,

Can you tell me exactly which McMaster-Carr product you used?

Thanks,
Andys
tat2dphreak
part# 9709T19, that's the stuff!
SLKWrx
Check out Raammat (www.raamaudio.com) Similar to Dynamat, much cheaper though and no asphalt smell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.