Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Data Logging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I'm thinking about data loggers. I foud this USB data logger

It looks pretty cool. 8 channels of input would be plenty to datalog things like, CHT, Oil Temp, Intake Air Temp, Fuel Temp, Acceleration, EGT, Voltage, etc.

I'm curious what other people think of this setup.
nebreitling
it might end up being a lot of work to make such an open environment really applicable to engine monitoring. the data visualation software doesn't look particularly slick. scaling sensor output voltage to create meaningful ranges of input for the box might also be problematic. hard to argue with the price, though!
Jake Raby
I did one year of research before looking to Race-Technology to supply the basis for my logger. I needed a versatile unit that could be used in a car or on the dyno... when most of the lesser systems were optioned enough they were within 15% of the cost of my logger. Most of the other systems also had nominal software and resolution.

After my 3,450 mile trip cross country with every mile data logged I have to say that my choice was the best one and that I'm very happy.

One thing to remember is that any logger is only as good as its drivers, most systems require very solid inputs from top quality instruments like the SPA gauges my logger uses. You can always upgrade to better units but just remember this while you are looking for loggers...

Jake Raby
BTW- remember that EGT is THE main input for tuning and for understanding the engine- due to this until you have 12 channels worth of inputs you won't be totally happy, but its a great place to start..
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 29 2006, 12:15 PM) *

it might end up being a lot of work to make such an open environment really applicable to engine monitoring. the data visualation software doesn't look particularly slick. scaling sensor output voltage to create meaningful ranges of input for the box might also be problematic. hard to argue with the price, though!

uhm, it's got USB, right? just make your own "visualation software" !!!
that stuff is pretty simple. in fact, the whole device is pretty simple ...
type.gif Andy
TimT
I too did alot of research when I decided I neede a data logger, and I ended up with the Race-Technoloogy DL90, which I upgraded to the DL1 when it was released.

I think the unit you founf would work fine.. However you will have to configure all the software to suit your needs. Write functions etc.

The DL1 software has most of the functions already in the software.

Im intersted to hear how it works out.. I now have DL1, MoTec, and Aim dataloggers... adding another to the mix might be fun
Jake Raby
I also have the DL-1 and am upgrading to a DL-2 soon...
McMark
Mostly I'm looking for something to 'get my feet wet'. Something to help me understand why I want data logging. I know I want to see numbers, but at this stage in the game, I can't convince myself to go top notch yet. I need to learn what I want and why.

On the other hand I don't want to waste $ on something that will be useless as soon as I start playing with it and realize it won't work. dry.gif

I appreciate the input.
MattR
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 29 2006, 12:27 PM) *

BTW- remember that EGT is THE main input for tuning and for understanding the engine- due to this until you have 12 channels worth of inputs you won't be totally happy, but its a great place to start..

Yikes, I dont agree with that generalization. What makes the EGT so valuable? Maybe in a type 4... I dont know about aircooled cars, but I wouldnt go so far as to say its THE main input.

But what do I know? I'm spoiled... I get 60 channels of input.
Jake Raby
EGT is huge. It can be used to tune header lengths, carbs and timing as well as determine the proper octane that an engine likes to run. I is the main tuning input for anyone that wants to seriously understand what effects that tuning alterations has on engine performance.

EGT is an immediate reading that doesn't have any delay when an engine related issue begins, as soon as a carb leans out or a plug fouls you know it, unlike CHt that is slow to repond and oil temp that is VERY slow to respond.

Those who want to learn about engines pay very close attention to EGT and what effects it.
root
I use alot of inexpensive data acquisition instrumentation in my line of work, R&D Engineering. I bought the DATAQ cheapo DI-148 and have been using it quite a bit.
Two challenges with it are conditioning your sensor millivolt output signals signals and DATAQ software. If your not familiar with 741 Op Amp circuitry or some other inexpensive instrument amplifier circuitry this may not be for you. Each single-ended input on the DI-148 wants a 0-10volt signal so you'll need to make sure all your sensor's output's are in that voltage range. TC's (thermocouple's like alot of the CHT's) will need a bit of conditioning, a temperature reference junction circuit and amplification. I use National Instruments Labview software on a laptop 'cause it's versitile, quick, and easy to modify.

I got a pile of expensive data acquisition hardware and software and the more you pay the easier to use, usually! rolleyes.gif
McMark
root, thanks for the hands on. I really didn't expect to hear first hand experience. It sounds like it's going to be more work than money saved. I'll have to start watching eBay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.