Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was waved at by 993 driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
First time I encountered another Porsche driver while in the teener. He was in a beautiful red 993 of some sort. He actually waved first to my suprise! beerchug.gif Hope he didn't hear me grind any gears. City life with bad syncros sucks!
Mark D.
JPB
thumb3d.gif Cool!
GeorgeRud
Remember, he's the last of the aircooled 911s, recognizes another true believer. I only hope you waved back.

ps. Does anyone still flash their lights (foglights) upon coming upon another Porsche? It was only fitting when I started out in Porschedom in 1974!
Mugs914
My wife and I decided that there are two types of Porsche owners; Por-sha owners and the guys that have a Porsh.

Por-sha guys love to drive twisty roads, even if (especially if) they are the only car on the road. driving.gif

Porsh guys like to sit outside at Starbucks with their sunglesses on (at night) and shout into the cell phone "Yeah, I'm sitting outside so I can keep an eye on my Porsh..." cool_shades.gif while the voice on the other end chants "at the tone the time will be...".

Por-sha owners know what a 917 is... smilie_pokal.gif

Porsh owners think a 917 is a new PDA from Nokia... call me.gif

Por-sha guys like to take care of their own cars. wub.gif

Porsh guys stand in the door of their office and shout at the mobile detail guy over the phone. "Yeah, it's parked in the southwest corner of the lot, can't miss it. It's the red Porsh. Yeah the one taking up two spaces. can't be too carful when you own a PORSH!" clown.gif

Por-sha owners wave at guys in 914s. bye1.gif

Porsh owners say "look out for that Fiat..." ohmy.gif

Unfortunately, it seems that most of the newer cars are somebody's Porsh...
BMXerror
Yes, I waved back. I would've waved first, but I was busy trying to find second! @$^% I would've flashed my fog lights, but they don't work. Just like any 'other half', I love her, but she's still got some issues that need to be worked out. Sometimes she flat drives me crazy, but I drive her crazy all the time.
Mugs, all you said is right except for the remark about it being an aircooled thing. The truth is that the 'I've got a Porch' crowd is who Porsche markets to because that's who can afford it. It was the same crowd when the 993 was new, and as far back in Porsche's history as you want to go, for that matter. Just wait. In a couple more years, the first of the water cooled 911s will be just barely cheap enough for some real enthusiast to stretch the budget and buy. Then we should see some 996 TT wavers/flashers.... well, hopefully not flashers.
Mark D.
PORobinSCHE
Excellent Mugs thumb3d.gif perfect observation .

my response to uppity Porsh owners if they don't wave finger.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Oct 29 2006, 05:00 PM) *

Mugs, all you said is right except for the remark about it being an aircooled thing. The truth is that the 'I've got a Porch' crowd is who Porsche markets to because that's who can afford it. It was the same crowd when the 993 was new, and as far back in Porsche's history as you want to go, for that matter. Just wait. In a couple more years, the first of the water cooled 911s will be just barely cheap enough for some real enthusiast to stretch the budget and buy. Then we should see some 996 TT wavers/flashers.... well, hopefully not flashers.
Mark D.

I agree 100%, though I don't think I said anything about aircooled. smile.gif It is interesting to see the shift in Porsches marketing over the past decade or so. They have always targeted a more affluent crowd, but there used to be more support for the "financially challenged" enthusiast as well. There was a day when the factory didn't seem to care who made decals as long as you spelled the name correctly. And they figured that a heavily modified 356 winning at the SCCA runnoffs was just as much an advert for Porsche as when Peter Gregg won Daytona. The ad read "Porsche wins...", end of discussion. Now they're building SUVs, sending lawyers after internet mailing lists that had "Porsche" in the name, and wanting to raise the minimum weights at the PCA Parade autocross. I can only assume this is to make that !@*## 914 slow enough for the new cars to keep up! beerchug.gif

But what REALLY torques my bolt is that you can't get the old style red and yellow crest decals any more! All you can find are the new "3-D" looking things like they sell at the dealers... crest.gif dry.gif

Rant ends... We now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.