Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension testing matrix...how do you guys do it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
I was curious to see how other folks go about collecting and qualifying their suspension setups. Basically, as I test my car, I am wanting to collect data in a meaningful and time effective way.

I'll be at Sears in a few weeks to test and I plan on leaving the same springs on the car for the entire day. But I have adjustable AR bars and PSS9's, which have 9 position rebound settings. I'm will take it easy on the car and not be setting qualifying laps, so I was thinking that during my first session I try shocks at full soft and then during the next session I try full hard. Then 3rd session set shocks at mid point. I believe I will get 5 sessions during the day. AR bars I can figure out on the fly as I'm used to that from my other cars.

Any ideas on what is a good way to go about this?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I know how to do without data acq, but it will require a serious write-up on my part.

This is the "main" ingrediant, each corner of the track is broken down into:

1. brake zone
2. turn in
3. apex
4. exit

You'll need to write down exactly what you think the car is doing for each of those 4 things for EVERY corner.

Have you heard of a download session? Where the pro driver gets out of the car after a practice session? They go straight to the transporter and poor over the data with a "Team Engineer". A tire engineer gives the team engineer tire/temps and pressures. So.. now you have 3 different forms of information coming to the team engineer. The engineer will now go over EVERY corner in the data acq while *talking* to the driver. You see them using their hands if they are standing outside of the transporters. Obviously this is difficult by yourself (which is why I use pictures to help me)

I'll see what I can do on writing something up with more detail on the "top 4"

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 29 2006, 06:00 PM) *

I know how to do without data acq, but it will require a serious write-up on my part.

This is the "main" ingrediant, each corner of the track is broken down into:

1. brake zone
2. turn in
3. apex
4. exit

You'll need to write down exactly what you think the car is doing for each of those 4 things for EVERY corner.

Have you heard of a download session? Where the pro driver gets out of the car after a practice session? They go straight to the transporter and poor over the data with a "Team Engineer". A tire engineer gives the team engineer tire/temps and pressures. So.. now you have 3 different forms of information coming to the team engineer. The engineer will now go over EVERY corner in the data acq while *talking* to the driver. You see them using their hands if they are standing outside of the transporters. Obviously this is difficult by yourself (which is why I use pictures to help me)

I'll see what I can do on writing something up with more detail on the "top 4"

B

I have data ack for the car on order so I should have it in by the Sears date. I have a day to wire it up. If I can get it to log, I'll figure out later how to manipulate the data.

I was wondering what sequence of events to keep notes on....play with shocks, play with AR bars 2nd, etc. I only have 5 sessions and I'm hoping to do THill on Saturday Dec 9th with Hooked on Driving and Sunday Dec 10th with LFA. I know I'll be trying my best to make the LFA event.

That should burn up this first set of tires..... barf.gif

Bill P.
mikelsr
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 29 2006, 08:13 PM) *

I have data ack for the car on order so I should have it in by the Sears date. I have a day to wire it up. If I can get it to log, I'll figure out later how to manipulate the data.

Bill, out of curiosity what data ack equipment are you getting and what are you going to record?

Thanks,
Mike
nine14cats
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Oct 29 2006, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 29 2006, 08:13 PM) *

Bill, out of curiosity what data ack equipment are you getting and what are you going to record?

Thanks,
Mike

I bought the Traqmate Complete set up which includes the Trackvision bundle for generating videos. The system collects the basics via the onboard sensors and utilizes GPS for accuracy. Greg Braun (race914) also purchased one as well. We plan on sharing info from the tracks we visit. It's the cheapest of the full fledged GPS systems out there...so it fits well within the 914Club. laugh.gif

Bill P.

914forme
I have a sheet I keep, that I am not sure where I got it from. I jot notes all over it. But since I only auto-x, and I don't make changes at the event unless things are going way bad. It is pretty easy for me to keep track. It allows for alignment settings, temps, and pressures. I have added stuff, like alignment settings and swaybar steps, springrates etc.... I have it in a three ring binder with a track map etc... I am odd anal this way, yet I can't keep a desk clean to save my soul. screwy.gif

I could scan it and send to yah if you want it.

BTW, nice Data system. I am looking for a photographer for next year, so I can see what the car is doing, or rent a lot and put a camera out there and do my own video shots in front of it. But I love events in which the pros show up and shot pictures, it is real easy to see what the car is doing at a given time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.