Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No such thing as an original black 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Ebay has a 6 for sale that the owner says is originally black and he has owned it for thirty years.
i remember reding that there was thought to be no factory black sixes, could this be one?

it is vin#9140430216
the ad is here black 6
mihai914
According to the color code chart in the info section of the club, they were made in black in 71-72, color code 10. If this is a late 70 or a factory custom color car, it could be very well black.
Brad Roberts
I have ran across several cars that were ordered "black" even though they started out as ORANGE. It appears the dealers would sell you anything they could. The black 9146 that was stolen from me was a yellow tub that was painted black and tagged as black by the dealer. It was a 1 owner car bought in Long beach orginally.

Another Black 6 I ran across in my travels.. M471 car that was tagged black and sold as black.. but had orange under the tar paper in the floorboards. The original owner (big shot Hollywood guy) wanted black when he bought it new in LA. Just like today.. you can get anything you are willing to pay for.

B
T H O M A S
curtis car is paintcode 10 and it is a 1970/6,there is no paint under the tar on floorboards
dimitri
Strange vin# Dimitri
SirAndy
QUOTE(dimitri @ Oct 29 2006, 09:14 PM) *

Strange vin# Dimitri

just a typo, the real VIN# is: 9140430216

smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 29 2006, 08:13 PM) *

but had orange under the tar paper in the floorboards

haha, the newbie got busted!

we all know there's no paint under the tar paper!
biggrin.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
It was the leather that covered the cross brace under the seats. Peeled it up and found orange. I was 19.. sorry.

B
John
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 29 2006, 09:22 PM) *

we all know there's no paint under the tar paper!
biggrin.gif Andy

Mine had the thin coat of grey primer under the tar. As have all of the ones I have worked on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Oct 29 2006, 09:30 PM) *

Mine had the thin coat of grey primer under the tar. As have all of the ones I have worked on.

yes, like i said, no paint under the tar paper ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
gms
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 29 2006, 10:00 PM) *

yes, like i said, no paint under the tar paper ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

agree.gif
out of the 23 cars I have parted out, 0 had paint under the tar paper.
sometimes primer but never paint.
914werke
the leather
av-943.gif
boxstr
Isn't primer paint??
CCLINSUEDEFINISH
sww914
No, it's primer, that's why they use different words for different things.

I'm joking, I'm not really that much of a jerk.

Primer has no film strength and it's very porous to facilitate easy sanding.
Paint is often referred to as topcoat by manufacturers, primer is not a topcoat, it's usually only good for 3-6 months before rust starts to form under it, at least primer-filler, epoxy is better. But you live in the desert, primer might be good for years out there, here on the coast it's good for weeks.
Also, most paint won't stick to bare metal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.