Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 in Australia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daniel
Hi All
I am located in Sydney, Australia and have wanted to build a porsche 914 for Historic racing for a while now. Last weekend I found a Right hand drive car in Australia and purchased it. I had been left uncovered on the grass for around 4 years and is now rusty. The motor runs quite well and it has all 5 gears. I havnt driven it as the brakes are unsafe and it has a sticky throttle.
Pics of the car are at http://au.geocities.com/dpauperiseng/

I need some help!. Firstly with the body, my best guess is that this car has been flared, can someone confirm/deny this.

I am also guessing that the front brakes are VW type 1-3 discs that have been redrilled with superbug calipers. Again confirm/deny? If i am right, are the 914 brakes any better than this?

I beleive that the rear brakes are genuine 914

The engine came with the carb and manifold setup shown. I beleive it may be a weber, but the only markings I can find is the word 'weber' on the accelerator pump cover plate. Can anyone identify this? I must run either orignal carb/fuel injection. I am informed that the 1800 came out with twin single choke Solex 40 PDSIT. Is this correct?

The rear suspension has a sway bar which appears to be more or less forced in. Did these cars have a factory sway bar?

Also I need some parts, namly
- Two gyards
- Bonnet
- Rear filler piece (The bit that says VW Porsche 914)
- Solex carb set up
- 2nd hand or reproduction 4 stud wheels, hopefully 15x6?
What would be the best place to find this stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help

Daniel
mihai914
First of all, welcome.png

To answer some of your questions:

Yes your new car seems to be flared in a unusual way, most flared 914s are done with GT style flares, which are much bigger and have a squarish look.

Your braking system appears to be all stock (the front is the same as a VW 441/412 I believe, and rear is 914 specific) with a five-lug conversion. The front conversion is not the preferred way to do it. It is best to replace the 914 parts with 911 parts which will simply bolt-on and you will have the added benefit of front vented rotors and a wider choice of calipers.

The single carb is considered junk here, for many reasons including the very long intake runners which do not help. I don't know what brand it is. USA cars all came with electronic fuel injection, and European cars came with the solex carbs. Considering your project for the car and depending on the cam, you should go with dual carbs like some Webers or Dellortos even the original Solexes are better than that single carb. If you want to go to FI then you will probably need to have the proper cam.

The sway bar you have appears to be an original 914 part that was added on the car. I hope you also have the front sway bar.

You can find all the parts you need in the classified section on the board, your main problem is going to be the expensive shipping especially on the bonnet. There are some other Ozzies on the board, try and get in touch with them and see where they source their parts.

Lastly on the upper right portion of the 914club bar, just under it is the search function, the search is your friend if you know how to use it properly. There is plenty of good info in older posts.
rick 918-S
Cool right drive! thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif welcome.png
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Oct 29 2006, 08:31 PM) *
... USA cars all came with electronic fuel injection, and European cars came with the solex carbs.

All of the 1.7s and 2.0s came with D-jetronic EFI; the US-spec 1.8s had L-jetronic EFI. The European-spec 1.8s had dual single-throat Solex 40 PDSIT carbs. They also had much higher compression (8.6:1 vs. 7.3.1) than the US-spec verison.

European 1.8s had engine numbers that started with "AN", the US-spec ones started with "EC".

I could not load the picture page (bandwidth limit exceeded) but it sounds like the single carb is a "Pinto Weber" progressive carb.

--DD
mihai914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 30 2006, 12:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Oct 29 2006, 08:31 PM) *
... USA cars all came with electronic fuel injection, and European cars came with the solex carbs.

All of the 1.7s and 2.0s came with D-jetronic EFI; the US-spec 1.8s had L-jetronic EFI. The European-spec 1.8s had dual single-throat Solex 40 PDSIT carbs. They also had much higher compression (8.6:1 vs. 7.3.1) than the US-spec verison.

European 1.8s had engine numbers that started with "AN", the US-spec ones started with "EC".

I could not load the picture page (bandwidth limit exceeded) but it sounds like the single carb is a "Pinto Weber" progressive carb.

--DD

Dave, I was referring to 1.8 cars specifically, who do you think I am?

Thank you for straightening things out. thumb3d.gif
daniel
Thanks for the quick replies!
I have done a bit of searching and reading, and heres what id like to do:
The rules state that I can do what I like provided I retain the orignal heads and engine case plus orignal carbs or injection.
I am leaning towards carbs as I have some of a 912 that we put webers on (will the 912 manifolds work?)
So... about 2.2L,
11:1 compression (will flat top's get this?) with 102octane premium
counterweight crank shaft
flowed heads, manifold and carbs with valves etc as recomended by the cam manufacturer. Ovbiously cam must match carbs and not FI
super agressive cam, it only needs to idle good enough to get to the dummy grid.
Im hoping for between 200hp and 250hp. Am I crazy or getting close or???

Thanks again
Daniel
SirAndy
QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 29 2006, 09:18 PM) *

Am I crazy ???

yes, you're crazy! just like the rest of us ... biggrin.gif

welcome.png beerchug.gif Andy
KELTY360
welcome.png

Looks like a nice find. I like the flaring. I might have the carbs you're looking for but I don't know how to decode them. They were among the parts I got along with a '72 1.7 I bought. The stamping says H32/34PDSI3 and the thin metal tag says 040.129.028.20. They appear to be brand new. I'm sure someone here can tell us what they are. Good luck with your car.
Rick_Eberle
Hi Daniel,
welcome.png

You're not alone, there are a few of us Aussies in the club. HowardR is in Sydney, Banksyinoz is in QLD, I think. I'm in Victoria. I'm sure there are a few others.

You've found probably the best resource possible right here, in the 914Club!

VForce do some nice 15x6 rims that are a perfect fit for the 914. the right offset, too (et36). Check out www.beetleracing.com

I'll post a pic when I get home from work.

Good Luck!
Rick_Eberle
Here you go...
Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
Nice car!

Order Fiberglass front and rear bonnetts, rockers from Getty.

Toss that POS single carb and get a set of dual Webbers or a SDS FI system.
You are gonna be hard pressed to get 250hp outta a 2.2 but Jake Raby might have a motor setup for you. He has a new BBS at http://Forums.aircooledtechnology.com that opens on Nov 1. so ask him. 200hp with a 2.3L is pretty doable these days.

Looks like all stock brakes to me, I would buy the 4 bolt aluminum hub from the Club Store and run a vented front 914/6 set up with it. 200hp and tiny stock 4 brakes aren't fun on a track. or stay 5 bolt and run 911/914/6 stuff as alot of us here do.

Kelty, those are stock 72-74 bus carbs. Sell them on the bay forum at theSamba.com as guys are looking for them. barf.gif
morph
people are looking for those for buses Geoff ? you can buy them new from here solex 34 new with linkage for 340.00
james
SLITS
QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 29 2006, 09:18 PM) *

I am leaning towards carbs as I have some of a 912 that we put webers on (will the 912 manifolds work?)
Thanks again
Daniel

As I remember, the 912 manifolds will not work as the port mounting surface on a 912 head is completely different than a Type 4. Type 4 Weber manifolds are reasonably inexpensive if you look for them on eBay. This, of course, is assuming that the 912 is not a 912E which had a Type 4 motor anyway.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(morph @ Oct 30 2006, 08:38 AM) *

people are looking for those for buses Geoff ? you can buy them new from here solex 34 new with linkage for 340.00
james

yeah, some guys with late bays (76-79) with FI can't figure out the Ljet so they install the early (72-74) carb setup cuz its "better". confused24.gif barf.gif
JPB
welcome.png Good start bro!! There are a million things to do to these cars to make them more fun. I'd say, get it running well and have fun with it. As you see the need, modify at will. Driving is the most important part beer.gif
McMark
Maybe I'm the only one thinking.... RIGHT HAND DRIVE?

I'd really really really like to see many more pictures of the underside of the dash, steering setup, dash top, etc.

Ditch the mess of bars in the front trunk. All it's doing is holding the inner front fenders (don't move) to the headlight buckets (who cares), in other words it's just extra weight serving no purpose. You might also think about welding the cage together and welding the cage to the longitudinals. The bolt in cages have been known to crack the longitudinals.

It looks like a decent car to build up and the RHD was never a factory option (that I've heard of). AFAIK, there are only a handfull of RHD cars out there.

Do you know about the Hell Hole? The door gaps look like they might indicate a problem, but it's hard to tell on a yellow car in full sun. wink.gif
Downunderman
Hi Daniel,

First port of call for the body parts is Brian Clearihan in Melbourne 03 9699 1411. He used to keep the 914 register, but I don't know that he is still that keen. He does know where most cars/parts are. If you are setting it up for racing pm me. I think I can save you a lot of time.

H
daniel
Hi again
Quick question while I am sorting out carbs, is the Solex 40 as fitted to the European 1800's a single or dual choke carb.
Howard, I have to go out but will mail you when I get back

Thanks for everyones help thus far!

Daniel
Andyrew
Nice!!!

(ps 200-250hp from a homebuilt T4 914 engine aint possible without power adders, ie nos, turbo, supercharger. You'll be in the 140-170 territory when all is said and done and everything matches right.. Thats still wicked fast for a 914...)

Bleyseng
QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 30 2006, 06:44 PM) *

Hi again
Quick question while I am sorting out carbs, is the Solex 40 as fitted to the European 1800's a single or dual choke carb.
Howard, I have to go out but will mail you when I get back

Thanks for everyones help thus far!

Daniel

single choke carb just like the 34PDSITs but bigger
Allan
Nice find. I like the flares.

Get er done... welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.