Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping the Front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I want to drop the front down about 1/2"-3/4" to balance the look of the car. I only know of one way, cutting the springs, (shows how much I know), but Brewer thought there was an adjustment screw of some sort on the front, just below the lights.

Is this true?
Is it so simple even I can do it?
How do I do it?
After doing so, if that simple, what other changes will I need to make if any?

I used the search enging, but didn't see anything.

Thanks
Brian
Allan
The front is raised and lowered using the adjusters on the torsion bars. If you change it you'll need an alignment.
SLITS
Brian .... exactly what springs do you want to cut ... the rears .... cause the front does not have coil springs ... it has torsion bars.

Now if you stick your pointy little head underneath the car and look at the "A" arm inner pivot points, you will see that the rear of the torsion bar has this wonderful thing called an adjuster (one on each side too!) that will allow you to set the front ride height. The adjuster has a screw in it that can be rotated to raise or lower the front.

It might also be helpful if you would purchase a Haynes Manual and look at page 101, Figure 7.3 and page 106, Section 16

Thin air is getting to your grey cells?
Elliot_Cannon
Go to a book store and buy or order a "Haynes" manual for the 914. You can also maybe find one at the FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store). Lots of info in the book and I think it explains how to adjust the front end height. You may be able to order it at Amazon.com as well. Anyone who owns and/or maintanes a 914 should probably have this book.
Cheers, Elliot
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 11:04 AM) *

Brian .... exactly what springs do you want to cut ... the rears .... cause the front does not have coil springs ... it has torsion bars.

Now if you stick your pointy little head underneath the car and look at the "A" arm inner pivot points, you will see that the rear of the torsion bar has this wonderful thing called an adjuster (one on each side too!) that will allow you to set the front ride height. The adjuster has a screw in it that can be rotated to raise or lower the front.

It might also be helpful if you would purchase a Haynes Manual and look at page 101, Figure 7.3 and page 106, Section 16

Thin air is getting to your grey cells?

Mr. Smartass... Thank you for your directions.. biggrin.gif
I simply wanted to get across that I was not sure how to drop the front of the car, that is to say I am only familar with cutting springs in order to achieve this. I got your pointy head right here buddy biggrin.gif I do have a haynes manual, but I have found that this place holds moe knowedge then any manual....
Thanks Allan and Funny man for the assistance. beerchug.gif

Cap'n Krusty

Mr. Smartass... Thank you for your directions.. biggrin.gif
I simply wanted to get across that I was not sure how to drop the front of the car, that is to say I am only familar with cutting springs in order to achieve this. I got your pointy head right here buddy biggrin.gif I do have a haynes manual, but I have found that this place holds moe knowedge then any manual....
Thanks Allan and Funny man for the assistance. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

DON'T FORGET the alignment. The Cap'n
SLITS
Hey bud .... ya wanted to be a non-member .... suck it up and take the bashing .... you're past your "Newbie" status.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 11:16 AM) *

Hey bud .... ya wanted to be a non-member .... suck it up and take the bashing .... you're past your "Newbie" status.

I was just kiddin.... poke.gif
Thanks Cap'n... Have that down..
SLITS
And to futher enlighten you since Krusty reminded you of the alignment problem, we will proceed to Suspension Geometry 101A.

The camber and toe-in on an auto is generally set with the plane of the "A" arm and tie rods parallel to the ground. If you lower the vehicle a couple of things happen:

1. The ball joint is on a fixed length arm from the inner suspension attachment (pickup point). If the arm is parallel to the ground, any deviation of the pick up point will cause the ball joint to move toward the inner pick up point, thereby decreasing the initial camber set into the geometry. (the ball joint pickup scribes an arc around the inner pickup point).

2.) The tie-rod is hopefully parallel to the road surface also (in the rest postion). With any suspension movemenet, the tie rod end swings an arc aroung the inner attachment point at the rack (which is fixed on the carrier cross beam). Lowering the car moves the inner fixed attachment point downward and effectively shortens the arm (tie rod) which increases toe in.

So, when you lower the front end, you decrease the negtive camber and increase the toe in .....hence your car needs to be realigned for optimum driveability and tire wear. Though I do admit, after seeing you drive, I don't think anything can help grouphug.gif

Sincerely,

Mr Funny Man
Leo Imperial
This should help.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 30 2006, 12:43 PM) *

This should help.

Thanks Leo beerchug.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 11:04 AM) *

dag nabbit ron, i was just about to have some fun.
you could have at least told him to check under the radiator first biggrin.gif

Brian, it's a piece of cake. you can come and practice on my parts car if you want.
SLITS
Well, you could explain to him some of the finer points of my suspension discussion like

pick up point ..... that's where he stands on a corner sans shirt, flexing his miniscule muscles until some guy "picks him up" av-943.gif

Maybe he'll flex his muscles for you and wear his tool belt low on the hips.....
jsteele22

Well, I don't want to disagree with what's already been said, but there is an easier way. Take the the floor jack, jack stands, tool box, spare parts, rain cover, and AAA membership card out of the rear trunk one item at a time and place them in the front trunk until you like what you see. And remember, if the car was already out of alignment to begin with, there's a reasonable chance this will make it better. Spend the money you save on beer.
SLITS
agree.gif givemebeer.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Well, you could explain to him some of the finer points of my suspension discussion like

pick up point ..... that's where he stands on a corner sans shirt, flexing his miniscule muscles until some guy "picks him up" av-943.gif

Maybe he'll flex his muscles for you and wear his tool belt low on the hips.....

Not enough money... bootyshake.gif

Jeff I like your idea better. Much easier, and I cn buy more beer.. piratenanner.gif
JPB
agree.gif And a little bit of ice and beer in the front trunk is good for ballancing also. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.